« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
35. Put in the form of a graph the following figures, giving the classification of farms in a certain state, with reference to acreage : 19 acres or less
25 per cent 20 to 49 acres
23 per cent 50 to 99 acres
12 per cent 100 to 174 acres
14 per cent 175 acres or more
26 per cent
36. Determine from the following figures the average number of pounds of milk per cow per year, and the total number of pounds of butter fat if the average butter test was .344.
37. Find the net return per acre for one and two-thirds acres of peach trees if the outlay and income account was as follows: Plowing and cultivating
$ 15 Pruning.
30 Picking 14 tons at $ 2.50 per ton
50 Gross returns for the sale of the fruit
38. Find the net return on a raspberry crop which yielded 500 crates to the acre if they sold at $ 1.50 per crate, and the expense account was as follows:
39. Present in the form of a graph the following data, showing the number of fruit trees in California county : Apple 51,000 trees Peach.
654,000 trees Apricot 588,000 trees Pear.
147,000 trees Cherry . 393,000 trees
295,000 trees Fig.
5,690,000 trees Nectarine
1,500 trees Other kinds . 430,000 trees Olive
40. The following amounts were received from the sale of milk for one year: Jan., $ 65.50; Feb., $ 74.20; Mar., $ 76.80; Apr., $ 78.25; May, $ 85.30; June, $ 90.50; July, $ 78.20; Aug., $ 73.80; Sept., $ 71.80; Oct., $ 69.10; Nov., $ 61.50 ; Dec., $ 63.40. Find the amount received during the year. 41. Two 40-acre fields were sown in oats, the
average yield of which was 45 bushels to the acre. What was the value of the crop at $.80 a bushel ?
42. If each hen laid on an average 100 eggs per year, what was the average monthly return if the eggs were sold for 85 cents a dozen ?
43. Two boys were asked to figure out the number of posts necessary to build a fence 200 feet long, the posts to be placed 8 feet apart. One boy said it would take 25 posts, the other said it would take 26. Was either boy's answer correct?
44. The same boys were asked how many posts would be necessary for a fence around a corral 160 feet by 200 feet, the posts to be placed 8 feet apart. Both boys said it would take 91 posts. Was their answer correct?
45. In the following, fill in the columns of net weights, totals, and values.
46. A field 180 ft. by 200 ft. is inclosed by four lines of galvanized iron wire. Eight yards of this wire weigh a pound, and the wire cost 8 cents a pound. What was the cost of the wire ?
47. How many acres are there in a rectangular piece of land 8450 ft. long and 3580 ft. wide ? 48. How
cords of wood are there in a pile 80 ft. long, 6 ft. high, and 4 ft. wide ?
49. A man bought a farm for $ 3500 and sold it for $ 4200. If the buying and selling were done by a real estate agent who charged 5% for each transaction, what per cent of the purchase price did the man gain ?
50. If the weight of oak ashes is .03 of the weight of the wood burned, and the weight of carbonate of potash contained in the ashes is .065 of the weight of the ashes, how many pounds of carbonate of potash are there in the ashes of 1 cord of oak, if stacked oak wood weighs 2 tons per cord ?
51. A farmer sold a team of mules for $ 550 but did not receive his pay for them until 1 yr. 8 mo. after the sale. He had at the same time a cash offer of $ 505 for them. Did he gain or lose by the sale and how much, money being worth 6% ?
52. Find the value of the potato crop on 60 acres, if the average yield is 130 sacks to the acre and the potatoes are worth $ 4.20 per sack.
53. A farmer shipped 50 sacks of potatoes to a commission merchant who sold them at $ 4.95 a sack, and charged a commission of 5%. What did the farmer receive?
54. A farmer shipped 22 tons of hay to a commission merchant who sold it at $ 18.50 per ton. How much did the merchant remit to the farmer, after deducting his commission of 5%?
55. A farmer shipped 1140 pounds of butter to a commission merchant, who sold it at 70 cents a pound. If the cost of shipping was $ 2.50 and the cartage amounted to $ 1.50, how much did the shipment net the farmer, after paying a commission of 5%?
56. A certain school district voted $ 15,000 to erect a new schoolhouse. The assessed valuation of the property in the district was $ 750,000. Find the rate of taxation.
57. If newly harvested potatoes lose in weight 1% a month for about five months, and the price of potatoes in October
was $ 2.45 and in the following March was $ 2.80, did it pay to hold the crop till March before marketing? How much was gained or lost by holding the crop ?
58. Prepare a ticket similar to that in Ex. 45 for 6 loads of coal whose weights are as follows: Gross weights, 4540, 4664, 4860, 5280, 4970, 5130; weights of wagons : 1660, 1652, 1540, 1490, 1475, 1650. Price of coal $ 14.25 per ton.