« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
22. What are the total box-office receipts for a single performance if 1000 seats sell for $2 each, 2000 at $1 each, 4000 at $.75 each, and 5000 at $.50 each?
23. Find the volume and convex surface of a cone if the diameter of the base is 16 inches and the altitude is 18 inches.
24. How many eggs at 85 cents a dozen can be bought for $ 5?
25. What will it cost to excavate a roadway to a depth of a foot and a half at 50 cents per cubic yard, if the width is 50 feet, and the length is 1000 feet?
26. What will curbing for both sides of the roadway mentioned in the preceding example cost at 25 cents per linear foot?
27. When a man runs 100 yards in 10 seconds, what is his rate in feet per second ? What is his rate in miles per hour ? At the same rate how long would it take him to run a mile?
28. If a bushel of wheat weighs 60 pounds, how many bushels are there to the ton ?
29. How many 8-ounce packages of sulphur can be put up from one ton of it?
30. If sound travels 1100 feet per second, how far distant was a rifle whose discharge was heard 4 seconds after firing?
31. If 110 high school seniors adorn themselves with ribbon streamers in the class colors, red and white, of a yard of each, what will be the total cost of the ribbon at 20 cents a yard ?
32. How deep must a wagon-bed 4 feet wide and 8 feet long be loaded with wet sand (specific gravity 2) to weigh 2 tons ?
33. How many conical glasses 4 inches in diameter and 3 inches deep can be filled with a gallon of liquid ? How many gallons of liquid will it take to fill 100 glasses ?
34. A quarter of a ton of bronze castings are to be made. The material is 77 per cent copper, 8 per cent tin, and 15
per cent lead. How many pounds of each metal are required ?
35. When a man runs 100 yards in 9 seconds, how many feet does he travel in one second ? What is his rate in miles per
hour ? 36. If a bottle and a cork together cost $ 1.10 and the bottle costs $1 more than the cork, what is the cost of the cork ?
37. If an automobile can be driven 28.7 miles on a gallon of gasoline, how many gallons are consumed in a 1000-mile trip ?
38. Two men start in business with a capital of $ 7500. One of them furnishes $ 4000 and the other $ 3500. At the end of a year the profits are $ 3250. How much is each man's share ?
39. If a chrome-steel armor plate containing 1.75% of chromium and weighing 8 tons is to be cast, how much ferrochrome containing 65% of chromium must be used ?
40. Divide 47,632 by 3. Multiply 237.93 by 12.
41. When Adjutant Casala, the French aviator, attained a record altitude of 10,000 meters, what was his altitude expressed in feet?
42. Determine the area of a field whose dimensions as indicated in the accompanying diagram are given in feet. Give the answer correct to the nearest tenth of an acre.
43. Determine the weight of 1000 cast-brass cylindrical cups 24 inches in diameter, outside, 21 inches high, with walls and bottom | inch thick, if brass weighs 504 pounds per cubic foot. Allow 5 per cent for waste in casting.
44. If a cube 1 foot each way is cut in two diagonally, what is the total surface of each of the pieces into which the cube is cut?
45. If the standard 150-yard target has a bull's-eye 8 inches in diameter, what should be the diameter of a bull's-eye which will look the same at 25 yards ?
46. Four men purchase a piece of property with the understanding that the first is to pay 1 of the purchase price, the second to pay 16, the third to pay #, and the fourth to pay it. If they buy the property for $ 250,000 and sell it for $ 800,000, what is each man's share of the profit?
47. Determine the number of bricks required for a piece of pavement 50 feet wide and 300 feet long if the bricks are 2" by 4" by 8" and laid edgewise.
48. Set forth graphically the following data concerning Alaska:
Ocean products .
49. If the earth's equator is considered as a belt 25,000 miles long, how much clearance would there be if the equator were lengthened two feet ?
50. What is the approximate weight of a nearly spherical goldfish jur 16 inches in diameter, filled with water, allowing 8 po'ınds for the weight of the jar ?
51. What is the total external pressure on the human body if the external surface is 16 square feet and the air pressure is 15 pounds per square inch?
52. If there are 250 men in a shop and 20 per cent of them are laid off, what is the number remaining at work?
53. If the crater of a volcano is 2 miles in diameter and its depth is į mile, how many cubic yards of material will it hold ?
54. If on a baseball diamond it is 90 feet between bases, how far is it from first base to third ?
55. Determine the number of bricks required in building the walls of a warehouse 120 feet long, 60 feet wide, and 45 feet high, outside measurements, if the walls are 18 inches thick and no allowance is made for doors and windows.
56. If the diameter and altitude of a cone, the diameter of the base and the altitude of a cylinder, and the diameter of a sphere are each 2 feet, find the volume of each.
57. Nickel steel for automobile construction contains 3.4 per cent of nickel. If a ladle holds 3700 pounds of steel, how many pounds of nickel must be added ?
58. If one side of a right triangle is 16 feet and the other side is s of the hypotenuse, what is the length of the hypotenuse?
59. Make a wage table based on 871 cents per hour for every successive 20 minutes of an eight-hour day; that is, for 20 minutes, 40 minutes, 1 hour, etc.
60. A table top is to be constructed in the form of a hexagon. If it is to measure 4 feet 8 inches between the parallel sides of the hexagon, what will be the radius of the hexagon?
61. If a room is 22 feet long by 16 feet wide by 12 feet high, how much will it cost to plaster the walls and ceiling at 18 cents a square yard, no allowance being made for doors and windows?
62. How many gallons of water are there in a rectangular tank 12 feet long, 10 feet wide, and 7 feet deep if it is half full ?
63 If a bar of silver weighs 8 pounds avoirdupois, what is it worth at 53 cents per Troy ounce ?
If these clubs are to play a final series of 10 games, how many of these games must A win in order to win out finally ?
65. A piece of work was to have been done by 10 men in 20 days, but at the end of two days 3 men left. How long did it take the remaining 7 men to complete the work ?
66. Prepare a chart or diagram by which Centigrade temperature readings between freezing and boiling are readily convertible to Fahrenheit readings.
67. Seed for sugar beets costs the farmer 11 cents per pound. Approximately 124 pounds are required to seed an
If 1000 acres are put into beets, what is the farmer's gain if he hauls 15,000 tons of beets to the factory, receiving $ 5 per ton for 75 per cent of his crop and $ 6 per ton for the remainder ?
68. Two men form a partnership. One agrees to furnish 40% of the capital and the other 60 %. If the first furnishes $ 2500, what amount does the other furnish ?
69. If the distance between bases on a ball field is 90 feet, what decimal part of an acre is occupied by the infield ?
70. Out of a lot of 308 castings 18 were worthless; in another lot of 386 castings 22 were worthless. Which lot had the larger percentage of good castings ?
71. Find the radii of the concentric circles that divide a circle 20 inches in diameter into three equal areas.
72. What is the height of a tree which casts a shadow 150 feet long at the same time a post 7 feet high casts a shadow 9 feet long?