« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
116. If copper weighs 550 pounds per cubic foot, find the length of wire of average diameter, 16 inch, that can be made from 10 pounds of copper.
117. Find the area of the shaded portion of the accompanying diagram if the radius of each of the circles is 1 mile. Express the answer correct to the nearest tenth of an Express the answer in square yards, correct to the nearest square yard.
118. How many shot to of an inch in diameter can be made from 1 pound of lead, allowing 5 per cent for waste?
119. A cylindrical tank 30 inches in diameter and 14 feet long lying on its side holds how many gallons when filled to a depth of 5 inches ? to a depth of 10 inches ? to a depth of 15 inches ?
120. If a stake 8 feet high casts a shadow 4 feet 6 inches long at the same time a building casts a 200-foot shadow, what is the height of the building ?
121. How many revolutions does a cart wheel 4 feet in diameter make in going half a mile ?
122. Find the length of a belt to connect two pulleys, one 18 inches in diameter, the other 12 inches, if the distance between centers is 14 feet.
123. If an aeroplane ascends 4170 feet in 10 minutes, what is the rate of ascent in miles per hour ?
124. If a can is 7 inches square on the bottom, how deep must it be to hold 3 gallons ?
125. How many board feet of 7" flooring will it take for a floor 18' by 24' if allowance of į is made for matching and 4 % for waste?
126. What is the weight (Troy) of one dozen plain sterling silver band bracelets if the diameter is 2.5 inches, the width .25 inch, and the thickness .06 inch, and silver weighs 655 pounds (Avoir.) per cubic foot ?
127. Determine the number of feet of rope 1 inch in diameter in a coil, if the coil measures 14 inches over all, has a 2-inch eye, and is 8 inches thick.
128. If a dirigible balloon is driven 500 miles in 11 hours, 43 minutes, what is the average speed in miles per hour?
129. Determine the weight of a steel plate 12" by 20" by 2", if a cubic inch of steel weighs 28 pound.
130. How many cylindrical maple pillars of diameter 8 inches and length 10 feet will it take to weigh 2 tons, if maple weighs 50 lb. per cubic foot ?
131. A circular piece of lead 1 inch thick and 10 inches in diameter has a 7-inch circle cut out of it. What is the weight of the part that is left if lead weighs .41 pound per cubic inch ?
132. How many glass marbles 14 inches in diameter can be made of 15 pounds of material, allowing 5% for waste ?
133. What is the capacity in gallons, in bushels, and in cubic feet of a cylindrical barrel 4 feet high and 2 feet in diameter ?
134. If a tractor will draw a farm implement at the rate of a kilometer in 15 minutes, what is its speed in feet per second ?
135. How long a section of a take-down rifle can be packed on the bottom of a trunk 3 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet? How long if placed diagonally?
136. What is the surface speed of an 8-inch emery wheel if its pulley is 4 inches in diameter and is driven by an 18-inch pulley making 220 revolutions per minute ?
137. What length of wire 1 millimeter in diameter can be wound on a spool 5 centimeters in diameter, whose shank is
1 decimeter long and 1 centimeter in diameter ?
138. How long will it take a tractor-drawn mower to travel 1 mile if it travels at the rate of 33 miles an hour ?
139. Find the capacity in gallons and tenths of a gallon of 9. a pail with the dimensions given
in the figure. What is its capacity in liters ? What is the capacity of a pail similar in shape which has each of its dimensions twice that of the original pail ?
140. What is the percentage of error in calling a meter 39.37 inches ?
141. What is the actual difference in time between two places whose longitudes are 120° and 122° ?
142. What is the area of a regular octagon made by cutting off the corners of a square each of whose sides is 12 inches ?
143. If a person pronounces 8 syllables per second, and sound travels 1100 feet per second, at what distance from the face of a precipitous cliff must he stand in order that the echo may be heard to repeat the last four syllables ?
144. Find the weight of an iron casting of the dimensions given in the accompanying figure if cast iron weighs .26 lb. per cubic inch.
145. On a certain map Şu the linear scale is 1 in. to 10 mi.
How many acres are represented by a square i in. on a side ?
146. Find the area of a
gravel walk 3 ft. 6 in. wide, which surrounds a rectangular grass-plot 40 ft. long and 25 ft. wide. How wide would the walk have to be if its area were equal to the area of the grass-plot ?
147. What is the perimeter of a square field that contains just one acre ?
148. Obtaining the data wherever you can, prepare a graphical chart showing the advance in the prices of foodstuffs during . the past four years.
149. If a lemonade glass whose bowl is hemispherical is 31 inches in diameter, how many gallons of lemonade will be required to fill each of 48 glasses, 6 times ?
150. If a circular cake 7 inches in diameter and 31 inches high sells for 50 cents, what is the probable price of the same kind of cake 16 inches in diameter and 8 inches high ?