« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
10. The specific gravity of sand is about 2. How much does a load (27 cu. ft.) of it weigh?
11. If the specific gravity of granite is 2.7, how much does a cubic yard of it weigh?
12. The specific gravity of brick and mortar is nearly 2. What is the weight of a cubic foot of brick wall?
13. If a brick, 8 in. by 4 in. by 2 in., weighs 4| pounds, is its specific gravity more or less than 2? That is, does 1 cubic foot of bricks weigh more or less than exactly twice as much as 1 cubic foot of water?
14. If the specific gravity of Athens (Illinois) limestone is 2.4, and if a cord of it is equal to 100 solid feet, how much does a cord of this stone weigh?
15. If bricks, 8 in. long, 4 in. wide, and 2 in. thick, are laid on their largest face, how many bricks will be required for a walk 6 feet wide and 100 feet long, making some allowance for imperfect bricks and breakage in handling?
16. What is the capacity in gallons of a tank 5 feet long, 2 feet wide, and 2 feet deep?
17. Give the dimensions of a tank the capacity of which is 225 gallons.
18. A certain cylindrical tank is 8 feet in diameter. Each foot in depth will contain how many gallons?
19. One inch of rain-fall will give how many pounds of water on a horizontal surface 30 feet by 40 feet?
20. Two inches of rain-fall will give how many barrels (31!- 8al-) °^ water on a horizontal surface 40 feet by 60 feet?
21. A one inch rain-fall will give how many tons of water to the acre?
22. Your school-house lot is what part of an acre?
23. A one inch rain-fall will give how many barrels ('SII gal.) of water on the school-house lot?
24. Your school-room floor is what part of an acre?
25. The distance around your school-room is what part of a mile?
26. How many bushels of oats would be required to fill your school-room to the depth of 3 feet?
27. A shed as large as your school-room would hold how many cords of wood?
28. Give the dimensions of a crib that will hold 1000 bushels of corn.
29. Give the dimensions of a pile of wood that contains 40 cords.
30. Apiece of land 100 feet long and 5 rods wide is what part of an acre?
31. How many cubic inches in a cylinder 8 inches in diameter and 10 inches long?
32. How many cubic inches in an 8-inch sphere?
33. If 468.25 be multiplied by .5106 will the product be more or less than 234 ? *
34. If 484.079 be multiplied by .251, will the product be more or less than 121?
35. If 2480 be multiplied by .2479 will the product be more or less than 620?
36. If 6400 be multiplied by .74, the product will be how many less than \ of 6400?
37. If 4800 be multiplied by 1.6, the product will be how many more than 1J times 4800?
38. If 366.06 be divided by \, will the quotient be more or less than 366 + \ of 366?
* Observe that 234 is J of 468.
39. If 25.2314 be divided by \, will the quotient be more or less than 51?
40. If 250 be divided by .26, will the quotient be more or less than four times 250?
41. If cheese is worth 17 cents a pound, how much should be paid for (a) 2 lb. 3 oz.? (b) 3 lb. 5 oz.? (c) 1 lb. 7 oz.? (d) 4 lb. 9 oz. (e) 2 lb. 11 oz.?
42. If meat is worth 15 cents a pound, how much should be paid for (a) 1 lb. 4 oz.? (b) 2 lb. 6 oz.? (c) 1 lb. 7 oz.? (d) 2 lb. 9 oz.? (e) 3 lb. 13 oz.?
43. If cheese is worth 12£ cents a pound, how much should be paid for (a) 2 lb. 8 oz.? (b) 2 lb. 4 oz.? (c) 3 lb. 1 oz.? (d) 4 lb. 9 oz.? (e) 4 lb. 15 oz.?
44. A wagon box 10 feet by 3 feet by 16 inches will contain how many bushels of shelled corn?
45. The surface of a sphere is equal to 4 times the area of a circle having the same diameter as the sphere. How many square inches in the surface of a 10-inch sphere?
46. How many square inches in the surface of a 20-inch sphere?
47. If from a cylinder of wood the largest possible coue be cut, exactly J of the wood will be cut away. The solid content of a cone is therefore exactly \ of a cylinder having the same base and the same altitude (length). How many cubic inches in a cone the diameter of whose base is S inches and whose altitude is 12 inches?
48. How many bushels of grain in a conical pile whose diameter is 6 feet and whose altitude is 4 feet?
49. At 10 cents a square yard, what is the cost of painting the outer surface of a cylindrical standpipe whose diameter is 15 feet and whose altitude is 36 feet?
50. At 10 cents a square foot, what is the cost of lining a cylindrical tank (curved surface and bottom) whose diameter is 10 feet and whose depth is 12 feet?
51. A sphere is exactly J- and a cone exactly -£• of a cylinder of the same dimensions. Find the solid content and compare the following:
(a) A 6-inch cube.
(b) A cylinder 6 in. in diameter and 6 in. long.
(c) A 6-inch sphere.
(d) A cone; base 6 in. in diameter, altitude 6 in.
52. A cubic foot of steel weighs 490 lb. (a) What is the weight of a cylinder of steel 1 foot in diameter and 1 foot long? (b) Of a sphere of steel 1 foot in diameter? (c) Of a cone of steel, base 1 foot in diameter, altitude 1 foot?
53. A circular piece of land 20 rods in diameter contains more or less than 2 acres?
54. At sight, give approximate answers to the following:
(a) Interest of $450.25 for 1 yr. 3 da. at 6%?
(b) Interest of $4000 for 29 da. at 6%?
(c) Interest of $250 for 1 yr. 8 mo. 5 da. at 6%?
(d) Interest of $500 for 1 yr. 11 mo. 16 da. at 6%?
(e) Interest of $751.27 for 2 yr. 6 mo. 1 da. at 4%?
(f) Interest of $149.75 for 1 yr. 7 mo. 29 da. at 6%?
(g) Interest of $298.97 for 1 yr. 6 mo. 4 da. at 8%? (h) Interest of $495 for 15 da. at 6%?
(i) Interest of $1200 for 6 da. at 8%?
(j) Interest of $600 for 20 da. at 4%?
(k) Interest of $397.28 for 2 yr. 6 mo. at 6%?
(1) Interest of $5000 for 5 mo. 29 da. at 8%?
(m) Interest of $3000 for 2 mo. 29 da. at 7%?
(n) Interest of $4000 for 3 mo. 29 da. at 6%?
55. At sight, give answers to the following, that are true to dollars; then, with the aid of a pencil, if necessary, obtain answers that are true to cents.
(a) Cost of 2970 lb. coal at $4.50 per ton V
(b) Cost of 3520 lb. hay at $11.50 per ton?'2
(c) Cost of 1490 lb. straw at $4.25 per ton?
(d) Cost of 2460 lb. bran at $10.00 per ton?3
(e) Cost of 2310 lb. oil meal at $21 per ton?
(f) Cost of 2240 lb. beef at $6.10 per cwt.?
(g) Cost of 1560 lb. pork at $4.50 per cwt.?
(n) Cost of 6740 brick at $6.00 per M.?5
12970 lb. is nearly 1J tons.
• What is the cost of 3500 at $12 per ton?
* At $15 per M., how much is 1 foot worth'.'
» 200 lb. butter at 27J cents is worth how much?