« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
1. IF I yard of cloth cost 4 dollars, what will 5 yards cost?
2. A man bought 3 pounds of raisins, at 7 cents a pound, and 16 oranges, at 4 cents apiece, and 1 pound of candles for 16 cents; what did they all come to ?
3. A boy had 37 apples ; he kept five himself, and divided the rest equally among four companions; how many did he give them apiece ?
4. Two men are 40 miles apart, and both travelling the same way; the hindermost man gains upon the other 5 miles each day ; in how many days will he overtake him ?
5. Two men are travelling the same way, one travels at the rate of 38 miles a day, the other, who is behind the former, travels 44. miles ; how much does he gain of the first each day ? and in how many days would he gain 60 miles ?
6. A fox is 50 rods before a greyhound, and is running at the rate of 27 rods in a minute, the greyhound is following at the rate of 31 rods in a minute; in how many minutes will the greyhound overtake the fox ?
7. If 2 yards of cloth cost 6 dollars, what would 4 yards cost ? what would 12 yards cost?
8. If 8 sheep cost 24 dollars, what would 3 cost?
9. If 4 tons of hay will keep 3 horses through the winter, how many tons will keep 30 horses the same time?
10. If a man spends 8 shillings a day, how many dollars will he spend in a week?
11. Bought 10 pieces of cloth, each containing 5 yards, for 100 dollars; what was it apiece ? and how much a yard ?
12. If the wages of 12 weeks come to 60 dollars, what is that a month ? and how much for 5 weeks?
13. If 7 horses eat 14 bushels of cats in 1 week, how many bushels would 15 horses eat in the same time ?
14. If 3 horses eat 8 bushels of oats in 2 weeks, how long would it take them to eat 40 bushels ?
15. If 1 horse eat 1 bushel of oats in 3 days, in how many days would 4 horses eat 36 bushels ?
16. If 2 men spend 12 dollars in 1 week, how many dollars would 3 men, at the same rate, spend in 5 weeks ?
17. If a staff 3 feet long cast a shadow of 2 feet at 12 o'clock, what is the length of a pole that casts a shadow 18 feet at the same time of day?
18. If 47 gallons of water, in 1 hour, run into a cistern containing 108 gallons, and by a pipe 38 gallons run out in an hour, how much remains in the cistern in an hour ? and in how many hours will the cistern be filled ?
19. If 4 men can do a piece of work in 8 days, how many men would it take to do the same work in 4 days ?
20. If 6 men can do a piece of work in 9 days, in how many days would 2 men do it?
21. If 8 men can do a piece of work in 5 days in how many days would they do a piece of work 4 times as large ?
22. If 7 men can do a piece of work in 3 days, how many men would it take tc do a piece of work 5 times as large in the same time?
23. If 8 men can do a piece of work in 4 days, in how many days would 2 men do a piece of work one half as large ?
24. A man bought a cask of wine containing 63 gallons, 3 sevenths of which leaked out; and he
sold the remainder for 36 dollars; how much per gallon did he sell it for ?
25. If a cask of wine cost 48 dollars, what is 5 eighths of it worth?
26. A man bought 7 oranges for 6 cents apiece, and sold them all for 54 cents, how much did he gain by the bargain !
27. A man bought 8 yards of cloth for 56 dollars, and sold it again for 9 dollars a yard; how much did he gain by the bargain ?
28. A man bought 8 barrels of flour for 40 dollars; how much must he sell it at per barrel to gain 16 dollars ?
29. A man bought five firkins of butter at 7 dol lars a firkin ; how much must he sell it per firkin to gain 10 dollars ?
30. A man gave 35 cents for his breakfast, which was 5 eighths of what he gave for his dinner; what did he give for his dinner ?
31. A ship's crew of 6 men have provision for 3 months; how many months would it last 1 man?
32. A ship's crew have provision sufficient to last 1 man 27 months; how long would it last 9 men ?
33. A ship's crew have provision sufficient to last 3 men 10 months; how long would it last 5 men ?
34. A man built 40 rods of wall in a certain time, another man can build 9 rods while the first builds 5; how much would he build in the same time?
If the combinations in this section should be found too difficult, they may be omitted until reviewing the book.
A. 1. A man being asked the age of his eldest
son answered, that his youngest son was six years old, and that 2 thirds of the youngest son's age was just 1 fifth of the eldest son's age. Required the age of the eldest son ? 2. 2 thirds of 6 is 1 fifth of what number ?
3. A man being asked how many sheep he had, said that he had them in two pastures; in one pasture he had eight; and that 3 fourths of these was just 1 third of what he had in the other. How many were there in the other ?
4. 3 fourths of 8 is 1 third of what number ?
5. Two boys talking of their ages, one said he was 9 years old. Well, said the other, 2 thirds of your age is exactly 3 fourths of my age, now if you will tell me how old I am, I will give you as many apples as I am years old. What was his age ? 6. 2 thirds of 9 is 3 fourths of whạt number?
7. Two boys counting their money, one said he had ten cents. The other says, 4 fifths of your money is exactly 2 sevenths of mine ; now if
you will tell how many I have, I will give you 1 half of them. How many had he ?
8. 4 fifths of 10 is 2 sevenths of what number ? 9. 5 sixths of 12 is 2 thirds of what number ? 10. 6 sevenths of 14 is 4 ninths of what number? 11. 6 fifths of 15 is 2 thirds of what number? 12. 7 ninths of 18 is 2 fifths of what number? 13. 4 fifths of 20 is 8 sevenths of what number? 14. 8 sevenths of 21 is 6 tenths of what number?
15. 5 sixths of 24.is 10 sevenths of how many times 5?
16. 3 sevenths of 28 is 2 eighths of how many times ?
17. 4 fifths of 30 is 6 sevenths of how many times 8?
18. 6 eighths of 32 is 8 ninths of how many times 5 ?
19. 4 ninths of 36' is 8 tenths of how many times 6?
20. 3 fourths of 40 is 5 sevenths of how many times 8?
21. 6 ninths of 45 is 3 fifths of how many times
. 22. 5 sixths of 48 is 10 sevenths of how many times 3 ?
23. 4 sevenths of 63 is 6 fifths of how many times 8?
24. 5 niaths of 72 is 4 sevenths of how many times 9 ?
B. 1. 4 fifths of 15 is 6 tenths of how many thirds of 21 ?
2. 4'thirds of 18 is 8 ninths of how many sevenths of 35 ?
3. 6 sevenths of 21 is 2 thirds of how many thirds of 24 ?
4. 5 fourths of 24 is 10 sevenths of how many fifths of 40 ?
5. 5 eighths of 32 is 2 fifths of how many fifths of 35 ?
6. 4 sevenths of 63 is 6 eighths of how many ninths of 45 ?
7. 3 sevenths of 56 is 4 ninths of how many fourths of 28?
8. 3 eighths of 64 is 6 tenths of how many sixths of 30 ?
9. 2 eighths of 72 is 3 tenths of how many fifths of 40 ?
C: 1. Two times eleven are how many ?