Εικόνες σελίδας
Ηλεκτρ. έκδοση

and Battery B, First United-States Artillery, under command of Col. Henry, advanced, and, passing around Fort Finnegan, came to Ten-mile Run, where a rebel battery was stationed. They charged upon the enemy, and captured the entire battery without the loss of a man. A large amount of supplies and stores fell into their hands. The column pushed forward, and met the enemy at Barber's Ford. A short skirmish ensued, and the enemy were driven to Saunderson. On the 15th, with a detachment of fifty-two men from the Fortieth, Capt. Marshall captured Gainesville and an immense amount of Government property, and then rejoined the brigade at Barber's Ford on the 18th.

On the 20th of February, the infantry having come up from Jacksonville, the whole force advanced towards Sanderson; and, in the afternoon of that day, a skirmish of the advance-guard with the enemy brought on the battle of Olustee.

The enemy were in heavy force: the conflict was desperate, and the troops fought fiercely. At dusk, the Union forces withdrew from the field, having lost, in killed, wounded, and missing, two thousand one hundred men out of a force of five thousand.

The light brigade followed the infantry back to Jacksonville. On the 1st of March, the enemy advanced : a hard skirmish took place, and the brigade retired in good order. It remained in the extreme front until orders from Washington recalled the Fortieth North, when, as an organization, it was broken up, and became infantry again. It embarked for the North on the 22d, arrived at Gloucester Point on the 28th, and was assigned to the first brigade, second division, Tenth Corps d'Armée. Under command of Col. Henry, the Fortieth was sent to Bermuda Hundred, where it landed May 6.

It performed an active part in the affairs of Bermuda Hundred, Swift Creek, and the battle of Drury's Bluff. Its services well deserve a volume; but space forbids an extended narrative. Our lack in this respect is, however, supplied by the admirable and graphic statement of Major-Gen. Devens, of whose division it formed a part. Gen. Devens, in his letter to Gov. Andrew, , says,

Afterwards serving in the Eighteenth and Twenty-fourth Corps, it was heavily engaged in the terrible battles of Cold Harbor, June 1 and 3, 1864; at the affairs in front of Petersburg during the summer of 1864, and that of the Williamsburg Road, Oct. 27; and was one of the first regiments to enter Richmond on the morning of April 3, 1865.

I have not undertaken to enumerate all the skirmishes and minor affairs in which this gallant regiment participated; but it is entitled to the credit of having

always done its duty faithfully and bravely. In many actions it has suffered severely both in officers and men, especially in those of Drury's Bluff and Cold Harbor. I would willingly recall here the names of all its brave soldiers who bave laid down their lives in the noble cause for which they were summoned together ; but space compels me to limit myself to the senior officer of this regiment, who has fallen in action, — Lieut.-Col. George E. Marshall, an officer of the highest character and the most distinguished gallantry, who was mortally wounded at Cold Harbor, June 1, 1864. Of him and his brave command the recollections of your Excellency and the people of Massachusetts will be most grateful and tender; and joyous as will be the greeting that will salute the tattered flags of the regiment as they are brought home in triumph, yet, amidst that joy, the brave dead who sleep until the eternal morn in the swamps of Florida, in the sands of Carolina, and on the hills of Virginia, will not be forgotten.

For equipment, discipline, and good conduct in camp, as well as in the field, this regiment has always been distinguished, and at several of the competitive examinations bas been pronounced the best in this division, composed of eighteen regiments. If good conduct in camp be any guaranty for similar conduct at home, I believe the men of this regiment will be found worthy of every confidence by those with whom they are hereafter to be associated in the civil walks of life. The evils which have been experienced in some countries by the sudden disbandment of large armies cannot occur among us : our soldiers are men who have come from various occupations to the solemn duty which they have been called to perform, with a feeling always that they would be glad to return as soon as the necessity which called them forth should cease to exist, and will rapidly find their appropriate spheres in the various branches of industry which peace will open to the citizens of Massachusetts.

These men have been true and valiant soldiers; but war is not their trade : they have been soldiers only because the Republic has called on them to draw the sword, and they gladly exchange it for the implements which are the agencies of the arts of peace. They will not be found worse citizens because they obeyed the call which was made upon them, but will bring with them the obedience to lawful authority, the fidelity to duty, the courage and energy, they have learned and practised in the rugged school in wbich they have recently been trained. I commend them most cordially to the consideration of your Excellency and the patriotic people of Massachusetts.

From the 25th of April, 1865, to the 7th of June, when its term of service was about to expire, the Fortieth was encamped at Manchester, two miles and a half from Richmond. On the 17th, it took transports en route for home. Arrived at Readville the 21st, and received pay and final discharge on the 30th.

We add the concluding paragraph of the official report:

Too much cannot be said of the men composing this regiment. There never was a case of desertion to the enemy; and though often under a most trying fire, and called into duties deemed almost impossible, yet it can never be said that the Fortieth ever ran, or even showed the white feather. The only sad portion of our history is the memory of those left on many a hardfought field, and, were they with us now, would make our existence but a long holiday of pleasure.


The Forty-first Regiment Massachusetts Volunteers was recruited at Camp Stanton ; and left the State, Nov. 5, 1862, under the following officers :

Assistant Surgeon

Thomas E. Chickering.
Ansel D. Wass.
Lorenzo D. Sargent.
Albert H. Blanchard.
John Blackmer.
Henry F. Lane.

The regiment sailed from New York, Dec. 4, 1862, in “ The North Star,” having on board Major-Gen. Banks; and, after a reremarkably pleasant voyage, arrived at New Orleans on the 15th. Leaving Gen. Banks at that place, it proceeded next day, under Gen. Grover, on the expedition to Baton Rouge. A few shells from the iron-clad “Essex" caused a hasty retreat of the rebels, and the troops landed without opposition on the 17th. Here they remained until March 28, 1863; the ordinary routine of camp being temporarily broken up by an expedition, the result of which was the burning of a few bridges. From this time until it was organized as the Third Massachusetts Cavalry, its history must be given in brief.

On the 28th of March, it advanced with Gen. Grover's division through the Lafourche country. On the 14th of April, was engaged in the battle of Irish Bend; and arrived at Opelousas, vid Vermilionville and Grand Château, April 20, having marched from Baton Rouge, a distance of over three hundred miles. Col. Chickering was appointed military governor; and the regiment was assigned to provost-duty, and to collecting the valuable products of the country.

May 11, Col. Chickering, with the troops at Opelousas, was ordered to Barre’s Landing to establish there a military post, and was appointed commandant.

During the term of its duty here and at Opelousas, the regiment

collected, and sent to New Orleans, viâ Brashear, more than six thousand bales of cotton, large quantities of sugar and molasses, and at least ten thousand contrabands to work on the Government plantations in the Lafourche country. The force at Barre Landing, consisting of the Forty-first (now mounted rifles), seven regiments of infantry, and a section of artillery, left May 21 under command of Col. Chickering, conducting an immense train of army-wagons and contrabands in safety to Berwick, a distance of a hundred and five miles in five days. In the afternoon of the 25th, near Franklin, the rear of the train was attacked by about twenty-five hundred Texas cavalry and two thousand infantry. This force was repulsed. The train was delivered to the quartermaster at Berwick, and the troops, with the exception of the Forty-first, sent to re-enforce Gen. Banks at Port Hudson. This regiment crossed to Berwick, and encamped on their old ground of April 9, on the Bayou Bæuf. Left by detachments on the 26th and 31st of May. Arrived at Port-Hudson Plains, and united as a regiment, and were assigned to Gen. Grierson's command June 4. On the 17th, by Special Orders, No. 144, the regiment was organized as the Third Massachusetts Cavalry.

The outline of its services in this branch of the service will be found in its proper place.




Origin of the Forty-second. — Goes to Galveston, Texas. A Gallant Affair. - Services

in Texas and Mississippi. — The Return Home. — The“ Tiger Regiment."— Repairs to Newbern. — Under Fire. - In Garrison. — Expeditions. — Term of Service expires.

- Col. F. L. Lee of the Fourth Battalion and the Forty-fourth Regiment. — The Regiment sails for Newbern. – Fine Conduct in the Expedition to Tarborough. — Expedition to Goldsborough. - Col. Lee's Report — The “ Cadet Regiment." — Its Record as given by Col. Codman.


HE Forty-second Regiment Massachusetts Volunteers was

originally the Second Regiment M.V.M., raised in Boston ; and left Camp Meigs, on its way to New Orleans, Nov. 21, 1862. Its officers were,

[ocr errors]



Isaac S. Burrill.

Joseph Steadman.

Frederick G. Stiles.

Ariel J. Cummings.
Assistant Surgeon

Thomas B. Hitchcock.

George J. Sanger. The regiment was in camp in East New York until the 2d of December; when it broke camp, and next day embarked in four transports in Gen. Banks's expedition. It arrived at Ship Island on the 14th, and at New Orleans on the 16th. Three companies of the regiment disembarked, and, under command of Col. Burrill, went into camp at Camp Mansfield. Dec. 19, Col. Burrill received orders from headquarters, Department of the Gulf, to proceed on board “ The Saxon” with his detachment to Galveston, Texas, and take post; the remainder of his regiment to follow, on its arrival at New Orleans. On reaching Galveston, he was advised by Commodore Renshaw and all the commanders of the gunboats to land at once, and take up quarters in a building on Kichun's Wharf. At the same time, the most positive assurances

« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »