Εικόνες σελίδας
Ηλεκτρ. έκδοση

first division, Second Army Corps; and served in that position until the army moved in March, 1862. He was with the brigade when the army advanced to Manassas and Rappabannock Station, and was at the siege of Yorktown and the battle of Williamsburg.

At the battle of Fair Oaks, he was favorably mentioned in the official reports of Gen. Howard for meritorious conduct.

At one time, when the Eighty-first Pennsylvania Regiment was without a field-officer, and was falling back, he rallied them under a heavy fire, and, turning upon the enemy, regained the lost ground, and forced them to retreat, leaving their dead and wounded upon the field. In this engagement he was wounded in the foot, and his horse shot under him. He mounted another horse, and remained on the field until the battle was over. He declined the opportunity of going North, and continued on duty, suffering much from his wound.

In the official report of the battle, he was mentioned by his commanding general for distinguished gallantry. He acted a conspicuous part in the battle of Charles-city Cross-roads. He led the Eighty-first Pennsylvania Volunteers in the charge across an open field, which closed the battle at halfpast nine, P.M. For this he was highly complimented by Gen. Kearney, and mentioned in that general's report for gallant acts. At Malvern Hill he again rendered distinguished service during the day, and, at the close of the battle, brought a force of artillery which poured showers of grape and canister into the enemy's ranks with great execution, and fired the last gun on that eventful day. From the battle of Fair Oaks he acted as adjutant-general, first brigade, first division, Second Corps, until the army reached Harrison's Landing, during the seven-days' battle before Richmond. About this time, Gov. Andrew of Massachusetts requested Gen. Sumner to recommend a few meritorious officers of his command for field-officers in new regiments then being formed in that State. Gen. Sumner recommended Lieut. Miles for the colonelcy of a regiment; but, before the recommendation was acted upon, be accepted the lieutenant-colonelcy of the Sixty-first New-York Volunteers.

Sept. 30, 1862, after the battle of Antietam, he was created colonel of the regiment. At the close of the terrible struggle at Fredericksburg, he was recommended for the position of brigadiergeneral.

During the campaign of the fall of 1863, he was in command of the first brigade. In the battles of the Wilderness, he sustained his character for heroic command ; and after the battle at Ream's Station, in which his division, it was said, saved the corps, he was recommended by Gens. Grant, Meade, and Hancock, for brevet major-general. Through all the bloody conflicts of the Potomac Army, Gen. Miles displayed the qualities of a veteran commander; not only fearless in danger, but skilful in the man

agement of his division. He was carried from the field of Chancellorsville, it was supposed fatally wounded, but rallied, and hastened back to his command.

Gen. Miles returned with the army to Washington; and, when it broke up, he was assigned to the command of the military district of Fortress Monroe (including fifteen counties of Eastern Virginia), — the largest fort in the United States, and where the chief of the Southern Confederacy is confined. For his efficiency in action, his skill in the arrangement and management of his troops in the last campaign, he was made major-general.

It is due Gen. Miles to say, in connection with the above, that he is the youngest major-general in the army; and, though he may not claim the years of many who have been raised to the same rank, Massachusetts has not a man whose record will exceed bis in the history of the war of the Rebellion.


Major-Gen. Nathaniel Prentiss Banks was born in Waltham, Jan. 30, 1816. His boyhood was passed in the usual routine of rural life, the common school, errands and play, until old enough to enter the cotton factory with which his father was connected. Later he became a skilful machinist.

During the period of his youth, dramatic entertainments were resorted to in the village homes; and so marked was his genius for the stage, that friends thought it worthy of encouragement. But his attention was turned to more practical literary pursuits.

He delivered lectures, addressed political assemblies, and edited the newspaper of his native town. Elected to the House of Representatives of the Commonwealth in 1849, he was entered on the roll of members as machinist.

He entered the legal profession, but gave it little attention, because the demands of the political arena which he had chosen enlisted his energies.

In 1851, Mr. Banks was Speaker in the House of Representatives of the State; and, in 1852, was elected to Congress. The succeeding year, he was President of the Convention to revise the Constitution of the Commonwealth. He was chosen Speaker of the Thirty-fourth Congress.

As Speaker of the House, he held the first rank. An accomplished debater, and familiar with parliamentary rules, he controlled the stormy elements, in the hours of greatest excitement, with calmness, wisdom, and decision. His fame suffers no eclipse in the comparison with the presiding officer of any deliberative assembly in the annals of the nation.

He was elected Governor of the State in 1854, and served three terms.

May 11, 1861, he was appointed major-general of volunteers, commanding in the Department of Annapolis; and, later, in that of the Shenandoah. He was unsuccessful in some of his military operations, but never through habits of dissipation or a reckless ambition. The clear and impartial verdict of history is yet to be given upon the causes of failure. He is now a loyal and able member of Congress.


Major-Gen. Rufus Saxton, who was a farmer's boy in old Deerfield till he entered West-point Military Academy in 1845 at the age of twenty-one, has, since his graduation, served in the regular army. He led a surveying expedition over the Rocky Mountains; invented an improved instrument for taking deep-sea soundings, which bears his name; and was conspicuous in the breaking-up of Camp Jackson, at St. Louis, when the war began, During the Rebellion, he was military commander at Port Royal and Charleston, where, as the ardent friend of impartial justice and liberty, he won the grateful affection of the enfrancbised.


In addition to the passing notice of this brave and able officer by Chaplain Quint, in his story of the Second Regiment, a more extended outline of his life and services will be a fitting accompaniment to his portrait.

Gen. Gordon was born in Charlestown, Mass., July 19, 1825. After a course of study at Framingham Academy, he determined, if it were possible, to secure an appointment to the Military Academy at West Point. Four years of patient waiting were crowned with success; and he entered that institution in 1812, graduating in 1846. Gens. McClellan, Reno, Foster, Couch, Sturgis, Palmer, Stonewall Jackson, Maury, Rickett, and others of note, were in his class.

Young Gordon was made brevet second lieutenant in a regiment of mounted riflemen, and went with Gen. Scott to Mexico, DecemDer, 1816. He was with that commander in all his battles, marches, and sieges. He was wounded twice in the battle of

He was

Mexico and of Cerro Gordo; and for his gallantry he was made first lieutenant. He remained with his command in the city of Mexico until December, 1847. Lieut. Gordon was ordered to command a company of cavalry which was to go as part of an escort to Vera Cruz, and return to the city of Mexico. very severely wounded by guerillas within one day's march of Vera Cruz; receiving no less than one ball and thirteen slugs in various parts of his body, three or four of which still remain. His left hand was disabled for life; all the bones in the back of it having been cut through. He was carried to Vera Cruz, tenderly nursed by some Mexican ladies, taken on board a ship, and sent home in April, 1848. The remainder of 1848 and 1849 he was on duty at different posts throughout the United States, on the Atlantic coast. In the spring of 1850, he joined his regiment in Oregon, and passed the summer and winter there at various stations on the banks of the Columbia River until 1851, when with his regiment he returned to the Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis. The remainder of 1851-52, he was stationed west of the Mississippi River, at Forts Scott and Leavenworth, meanwhile making a trip to the Rocky Mountains.

In 1853, upon the application of Professor Bache, he was detailed by Jefferson Davis, then Secretary of War, upon the Coast Survey; in which service he remained until the summer of 1854. He resigned, and, in the spring of 1855, entered the Cambridge Law School, where he remained one year. He had prepared himself for this course of study by reading law on the banks of the Columbia in Oregon, at Fort Scott in Missouri, and at Carlisle Barracks in Pennsylvania.

In 1856, he was admitted to practice in all the courts of this Commonwealth ; had attained a successful practice, when he abandoned all to raise a regiment for service in the Great Rebellion. After resigning his commission in the army, he received a pension for total disability, which he gave up forever when he entered the service again. His brilliant military career is recorded with the services of the Second Regiment. He is now again in the practice of law in Boston.

We can merely add, to the record of general officers of distinguished heroism, the names of Major-Gens. A. W. Whipple, killed at Chancellorsville, and J. G. Barnard, U.S.A.; Brevet Major-Gens. W. F. Bartlett, J. Hayes, G. N. Macy, E. G. Loring, Q. B. Tower, and C. J. Paine; all wounded several times, and never dishonoring their State or National flag.



The months succeeding the assassination of our second Washington, Abraham Lincoln, April 14, 1865, were crowded with stirring events. The fate of Jefferson Davis, Booth, and his fellow-conspirators, intensely excited the people, in connection with the precarious condition of the Secretary of State and his son, who were also intended victims of the rebel homicides.

But there were joyful emotions contending with the painful throughout the loyal States. The war was closed, the country saved, and the greatest general of the age — the patient, modest, and victorious Grant, who was providentially delivered from the assassin's blow when Lincoln fell -- was making a tour through the North, amid the grateful acclamations of the people. He was of and for the masses. Of Scotch descent, he was born, April 27, 1822, in a very humble dwelling at Point Pleasant, 0.; and entered West-point Military Academy in 1839. In the Mexican war he won laurels for noblest heroism, but at its close became an unsuccessful farmer, and then a leather merchant, in Galena, Ill. His career, since the civil war commenced, has become a familiar story in every home.

Gov. Andrew having learned that the Lieutenant-General was at Saratoga, and intended to visit the Eastern States and Canada, commissioned the Adjutant-General of the State to bear an official invitation to him to visit the Commonwealth. From Saratoga to Boston, during his stay at the capital, and along the route to Canada, and indeed through the Provinces, there was an enthusiasm rarely witnessed in national experience.

Gen. Grant's home, while in Boston, was the Revere House. On the sabbath day, he attended divine service in the Old South, of Revolutionary memory,—the venerable temple of religious and civil freedom.

« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »