« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
“The better days of life were ours ;
The worst can be but mine:
Shall never more be thine.
Nor need I to repine
Must fall the earliest prey;
'I'he leares must drop away.” SECTION II.-Analyse the principal sentences in the following passage ; and state the nature of the subordinate sentences, pointing out the sentences upon which they depend :
• This mother is still alive, and may perbaps even yet, though her malice was often defeated, enjoy the pleasure of reflecting that the life, which she often endeavoured to destroy, was at last shortened by her maternal offices, and that, though she could not transport her son to the plantations, she has had the satisfaction of forcing him into exigencies that hurried on his death.”
Section III.-Select and classify the adverbs and con. functions in the passage given above,
SECTION IV.*_1. Give examples of reflective, distributive, and interrogative pronouns. State the differences in usage of the relative pronouns who, which, and what.
2. Explain the term preposition. What are the prin. cipal relations indicated by prepositions ? Give examples of compound prepositions, formed by prefixing simplo prepositions to nouns and adjectives.
3. Explain the terms adjective and adverbial clauses. Give sentences showing that these clausos are equivalent to simple adjectives or adverbs.
SECTION V.-Select twelve of the following words, show how they are compounded, and derive their meaning from the meaning of their component parts :—but
* Only one of these questions is to be answered.
since, except, become, amongst, between, although, astray, perhaps, whither, good-bye, towards, forsooth, despite, gosling, boyhood, kingdom, complex.
SECTION VI.-Write full notes of a lesson on one of the following subjects :
(a) Interrogative pronouns.
(a) The plan of some large town. or, (b) The arrangement of some public garden or park. or, (c) A ramble by a river side.
or, (d) The best way of spending a summer whole holi. day.
Three hours allowed for this paper.
l'his paper is voluntary.
Candidates examined in England, and Female Candidates in Scotland, may answer questions in one Language (only).
Male Candidates in Scotland may answer questions in two (not more) Languages.
LATIN. 1. Translate into English
Ad hanc corporis firmitatem (strength) plurima etiam animi bona (advantages) accesserant (to be added). Erat modestus, prudens, peritus (skilled) belli, fortis manu, veritatis (truth) diligens (a lover); non solum (only) populi sed etiam amicorum injurias (insults) ferens (to bear). Paupertatem (poverty) facile (readily) perpessus est (to endure), et de republica (the state) nihil præter (except) gloriam cepit (to receive). Fuisse patientem suorumque injurias ferentem civium (fellow.citizens) bæc sunt testimonia. Quum eum propter (for) invidiam (envy) cives præficere (to command) exercitui (army) noluissent (to be unwilling), duxque (a leader) esset delectus (to choose) belli imperitus, cujus errore eo (to that point) esset de. ducta (to bring down) illa multitudo militum, ut omnes de salute (safety) pertimescerent (to fear), desiderari (to regret) coepta est (to begin) Epaminondæ diligentia ; a quo quum peterent (to ask) opem (help), nullam adhibuit (to retain) memoriam contumeliæ (insult) et exercitum domum (home) reduxit (to bring back) incolumem (safe).
2. Parse fully the words italicised in the text. 3. (a) Decline in the singular nulla manus, fortis dux.
(b) Give the present and imperfect subjunctive of fero, perpetior, adhibeo, capio.
(6) Select and classify the pronouns in the passage given above.
(d) Write down the prepositions governing the ablative case.
4. Translate into Latin(a) The Thebans were prudent and skilled in war. (6) Brave men readily endure poverty. (c) His fellow-citizens chose another leader. (d) The army was brought home safe. (e) The soldiers feared for their safety. (f) His friends required help from him. (g) He would not bear the insults of the people. (h) All good men love the truth. [Most of the words required will be found in the passage given above for translation into English.]
Special Section. (Scotland). Candidates who wish to attend the Latin Class at a University MUST take this Section in place of Questions 1, 2, and 3 above.
(a) Ariovistus ad postulata Cæsaris pauca respondit, de suis virtutibus multa prædicavit: "İransisse Rhenum sese, non sua sponte, sed rogatum et arcessitum a Gallis; non sine magna spe, magnisque præmiis, domum propinquosque reliquisse; sedes habere in Gallia ab ipsis concessas, obsides ipsorum voluntate datos; stipendium capere jure belli, quod victores victis imponere consuerint. Non sese Gallis, sed Gallos sibi bellum intulisse; omnes Galliæ civitates ad se oppugnandum venisse, ac contra se castra habuisse; eas omnes copias a se uno prælio pulsas ac superatas esse.”
(6) Romæ regnatum est per septem reges annos ducentos quadraginta quatuor. 'Duo consules inde pro uno rege hac causa creati sunt; ut, si unus malus esse voluisset, alter eum, habens potestatem similem, coerceret.
2. Conjugate the verbs respondit, arcessitum, reliquisse, consuerint, intulisse, pulsas, regnatum est, voluisset, and coerceret.
3. Give the rules for the government of sponte, victis, proelio, Romæ, and annos.
4. (a) Decline in singular and plural hoc grave vulnus.
(6) Give the genitive plural of mons, parens, nubes, mare, animal, and state the general rules for the formation.
(c) Give the positive and superlative forms of plus, major, ditior, nequior, senior, superior, and melior. What kind of adjectives form their comparative in entior and their superlative in entissimus ?
5. Translate into Latin
On this Marius said :-I accept of the consulship, in order that I may conquer the Cimbri, as I have done the Teutones; but as regards the triumph, I should like it deferred till I complete my victory."
GREEK. 1. Translate
Και γάρ επιμελείσθαι θεούς ενόμιζεν ανθρώπων, ούχ ον τρόπον οι πολλοί νομίζουσιν. Ούτοι μεν γαρ οίονται, τους θεούς τα μεν ειδέναι, τα δε ουκ είδέναι. Σωκράτης δ' ηγείτο πάντα μεν θεούς ειδέναι, τά τε λεγόμενα και πραττόμενα και τα σιγη βουλευόμενα, πανταχού δε παρείναι, και σημαίνειν τους ανθρώπους περί των ανθρωπείων πάντων. Θαυμάζω ούν, όπως ποτέ επείσθησαν Αθηναίοι, Σωκράτης περί τους θεούς μη σωφρονείν, τον ασεβές μεν ουδέν ποτε ούτ' ειπόντα ούτε πράξαντα, τοιαύτα δε και λέγοντα και πράττοντα περί θεών, οιά τις αν και λέγων και πράττων είη τε και νομίζοιτο ευσεβέστατος. επιμελείσθαι = to care for, νομίζειν = to hold, ειδέναι
= , = to know, ηγείσθαι = to believe, σημαίνειν = to an
= nounce, σωφρονείν to hold sound opinions, ασεβής impious, eugens = pious.
, ευσεβής . Parse ανθρώπων, σιγή, ασεβές, οία, ευσεβέστατος. 2. (α) Decline fully ευσεβής άνθρωπος (0) Givo the futures of σημαίνω, νομίζω, επιμελούμαι.
(0) Givo the genitive singular of καλός, ανήρ, πας, ούτος, Σωκράτης, σιγή.
3. Translate into Greek-
(c) The Athenians are convinced that Socrates is impious.
(d) He neither said nor did anything impious.
[Most of the words required will be found in the passage given above for tmanslation.]
Special Section. (Scotland.) Candidates who wish to attend the Greek Class at a University MUST take this Section in place of Sections 1, 2, and 3 above.
Προς αυτα ο Κύρος είπε τους παρουσιν· “Ο μεν ανήρ τοιαύτα μεν πεποίηκε τοιαύτα δε λέγει υμών δε συ πρώτος, & Κλέαρχε, απόφηναι γνώμην, ό,τι σοι δοκεί. Κλέαρχος δε είπε τάδε. Συμβουλεύω εγώ τον άνδρα τούτον εκποδών ποιείσθαι ώς τάχιστα, ως μηκέτι δέν τούτον φυλάττεσθαι, αλλά σχολή ή ημίν, το κατά τούτον είναι, τους εθελοντές φίλους τούτους ευ ποιείν. Ταυτή δε τη γνώμη έφη και τους άλλους προσθέσθαι. Μετά ταύτα, κελεύοντος Κύρου, έλαβον της ζώνης τον 'Ορόντην επί θανάτω άπαντες αναστάντες και οι συγγενείς: είτα δε εξηγον αυτόν οίς προσε. τάχθη. έπει δε είδον αυτόν οίπερ πρόσθεν προσεκύνουν, και τότε προσεκύνουν, καίπερ ειδότες ότι επί θανάτω άγοιτο.
2. Parse fully πεποίηκε, απόφηναι, άνδρα, τάχιστα, εθέλοντας, έλαβον, άπαντες and oίς.
3. Write out in full the declension of ο μέγας βασιλεύς and όστις, ήτις, ό,τι.
4. State what you know of the rules for comparison of adjectives, and compare μέλας, ευσεβής, ευρύς, καλος, αγαθός, μέγας and πολύς.
6. By what cases are duration of time and a point of timo expressed respectively P Illustrate your answer by cxamples.