« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
19. What is į of } ? 20. What is of 1 ? 21. What is of I? 22. What is of 1 ? 233. What is, of į ? 24. What is of ? ? 25. What is 26. What is į of į ? 27. What is į of į? 28. What is of j ? 29. A boy having of an orange, (that is, 2 pieces,) gave his sister of what he had ; how many thirds did he give her ?
30. What is off?
31. A boy having of a pine apple, şaid he would give one half of what he had to his sister, if she could tell how to divide it. His sister says, you
or three pieces, if you cut them all in two, you can give me į of them. But off is }, therefore I shall have of the whole pine apple.
32. What is į ofi?
33. A man owning i of a share in the Boston bank, sold į of his part. What part of a share did he sell ?
34. What is } of ?
35. A man owning of a ship, sold of his share; what part of the whole ship did he sell ? What part had he left ?
36. What is of f ? 37. What is į of f ? 38. What is į off? 39. What is į of f? 40. What is į of ? 41. What is į of ? 12. A man owning
of a share in the Boston bank, sold į of his part; what part of a whole share did he sell ?
43. What is į of f?
45. A boy having of a water melon, wished to divide his part equally between his sister, his brother, and himself, but was at a loss to know how to do it; but his sister advised him to cut each of the fifths into 3 equal parts. How many pieces did each have ? and what part of the whole melon was each piece ?
46. What is į off!
69. If a yard of cloth cost 21 dollars, what will } of a yard cost ?
70. What is of 2; ?
71. A boy had 2 oranges, and wished to give of them to his sister, and į to his brother, but lio
did not know now to divide them equally. Jlis bro.
ther told him to cut the whole into halves, and then in cut each of the halves into 3 pieces. What part of whole orange
did each have ? 72. What is į of 2; ?
73. A man bought 4 bushels of corn for 3; dollars; what part of a dollar did I bushel cost ?
Change the 31 to thirds, and then find of y as above.
74. What is of 5; ?
75. If 5 bushels of wheat cost 77 dollars, wha is that a bushel !
76. What is of 7?
77. A man bought 6 gallons of alcohol for 87 dollars; what was that a gallon ?
78. What is į of 83 ?
79. A man bought 7 gallons of wine for 8 dolo lars; how much was that a gallon !
80. What is 4 of 84 ?
81. A man bought 10 pieces of nankin for 63 dollars ; how much was it a piece ?
82. What is to of 62 ?
83. If 9 bushels of rye cost 72 dollars, what is that a bushel ?
84. What is į of 7 ?
89. A man bought 7 yards of cloth for 187 dol lars ; what was that a yard ? What would 3 yardcost at that rate ?
90. What is 4 of 183 ? What is of 182 ?
91. A man bought 5 barrels of cider for 27 dol. lars; what was it a barrel? What would 7 barrels cost at that rate ?
92. What is 1 of 271 ? What is 1 of 277?
93. If 6 barrels of flour cost 385 dollars, what would 10 barrels cost at that rate?
94. What is of 384 ?
B. 1. A man bought a piece of cloth for 42; dullars, and was obliged to sell it for of what it cost him ; how much did he lose ?
2. A man bought a quantity of four for 53 dollars, and sold it for of what it cost him ; hox much did he gain?
3. If 7 men can do a piece of work in 4 days, how long will it take 1 man to do it? How long will it take 3 men to do it?
4. If 4 men can do a piece of work in 9 days, how long would it take to do it, if 7. men were em• ployed ?
5. There is a pole standing so that of it is in the water, and as much in the mud ; how much is in the mud ?
6. If a man can travel 13 miles in 3 hours, how many miles will he travel in 8 hours ?
7. If 5 horses will eat 267 loads of hay in a year, what will 8 horses eat in the same time?
8. If 4 cocks will empty a cistern in 6 hours, how long will it take 7 cocks of the same size to
SECTION XV. A. 1. A boy having 2 oranges wished to give of an orange apiece to his playmates; how many could he give them to? If he had given of an orange apiece, how many could he have given them to ?
2. How many times ļ are there in 2? How many times į are there in 2 ?
3. A man having 3 bushels of corn distributed it among some poor persons, giving them of a bushel each; to how many did he give it?
Note. Find first how many he would have given it to, if he had given of a bushel to each.
4. In 3 are how many times #? How many times ?
5. If of a barrel of flour will last a family one month, how long will 4 barrels last the same family? Ilow long will 6 barrels last? How long will 10 barrels last? # 6. How many times is de contained in 4 ? How many times in 6? How many times in 10?
7. If of a bushel of wheat will last a family one week, how many weeks will 64 bushels last the same family?
8. How many times is contained in 6? 9. There is a cistern having a cock which will fill it in of an hour; how many times would the cock fill the cistern in 3 hours ?
10. How many times is contained in 3?
11. How much cloth at 14 dollars (that is dot lars) a yard can be bought for 4 dollars ?
12. How many times is 1} or contained in 4 ?
13. A man distributed 8.1 bushels of wheat among some poor persons, giving it bushels to each ; how many did he give it to?
14. How many times is lt contained in 84?
15. If a soldier is allowed 1 pounds (that is of a pound) of meat in a day, to how many soldiers would 64 pounds be allowed ?
16. How many times is 1} contained in 6?
17. If if tons of hay will keep a horse through P the winter, how many horses will 10 tons keep?
18. How many times is 1 contained in 10 ?
19. At 23 dollars a box, how many boxes of raisins can be bought for 10 dollars ? 20. How many times is 24 contained in 10 ?