« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
much did they all pay? What part of the whole did each pay? They sold the produce for 40 dollars; what part of it must each have ? What did each one's share amount to?
124. Three men bought a lottery ticket for 10 dollars ; the first gave 3 dollars, the second 5 dollars, and the third 2 dollars. They drew a prize of 120 dollars. What was each man's share ?
125. Two men hired a pasture for 58 dollars; one put in 7 horses, and the other 3 horses; wha! ought each to pay ?
126. Three men commenced trade together; they put in money in the following proportion; the first, 3 dollars, as often as the second put in 4, and as often as the third put in 5; they gained 87 dollars. What was each man's share of the gain ?
127. Two men hired a pasture for 32 dollars. The first put in 3 sheep for four months, the second put in 4 sheep for five months; how much ought each to pay ?
Note. Three sheep for four months is the same as 12 sheep for 1 month, 4 sheep for 5 months is the same as 20 sheep for 1 month. This question is therefore the same as if 1 man put in 12 sheep, and the other 20 sheep.
128. Two men, A and B, traded in compar y; A put in 1 dollar for 4 months, and B 2 dollars for 3 months, and they gained ninety cents ; how many cents must each have ?
129. Three men, A, B, and C, traded in company; and put in money in the following proportions; A put in 4 dollars as often as B put in 3, and as often as C put in 2 ; A's money was in 2 months, B's 3 months, and C's 4 months, and they gained 100 dollars; what was each.one's share ?
130. Two men, A and B, traded in con pany ; A put in 2 dollars as often as B put in 3; A's money
was employed 7 months, and B's money 5 months ; they gained 58 dollars ; what was each man's share of the gain ?
131. Three men, A, B, and C, traded in company, and put in money in the following proportions ; A put in 2 dollars as often as B put in 4, and as often as C put in 6. B's money was in twice as long as C's, and A's two times as long as B's: they gained 88 dollars; what was each one's share of the gain?
Note. Interest is a reward or premium allowed by a debtor to a creditor for the use of money. The usual interest for 1 year, and that which is established by law in twenty-two of the States of this Union, is 6 cents on a dollar, 6 dollars on a hundred dollars, or in fine fo of the sum whatever be the denomination. It is called 6 per cent. that is 6 on the hundred, because it is always reckoned by the hundred. So 3 per cent. 4 per cent., &c. signify 1 di Ito, &c., or so much on the hundred. The teacher can vary the examples to illustrate the different rates per cent.
132. The interest of 1 dollar being 6 cents for 1 year, what is the interest of 7 dollars for the same time? What is the interest of 10 dollars ? Of 15 dollars? Of 20 dollars ? Of 30 dollars ? Of 50 dollars? Of 75 dollars ? Of 100 dollars ? Of 118 dollars!
133. If the interest of 1 dollar is 6 cents for 1 year, what would it be for 2 years ? What would be ihe interest of 8 dollars for two years ? Of-17 collars ? Of 43 dollars ?
134. If the interest of 100 dollars is 6 dollars for a year, what would be the interest of 50 dollars for the same time? Of 2 hundred? Of 3 hundred? Of 4 hundred ? Of i hundred and 50 ? Of 2 hundred and 50 ?
135. If the interest of 100 dollars is 6 dollars for 1 year, what would be the interest of it for 6 months ? For 3 months ? For 4 months ? For 8
per cent. ?
months! For 9 months ? For 1 month? For 2 months ? For 5 months ? For 7 months ? For 10 months ? For 11 months ?
136. What is the interest of 100 and 32 dollars for 2 years, at 6
137. What is the interest of 300 do.lars for 1 year and 6 months, at 6 per cent. ?
138. What is the interest of 1 dollar for 6 mouths at 6 per cent. ? What for 2 months ? What for 1 month ? What for 3 months ? 4 months ? 5 months ? 7 months ? 9 monthıs ? 11 months ?
139. What is the interest of 57 dollars for 1 year and 7 months, at 6 per cent. ?
140. What is the interest of 200 and 67 dollars for 1 year
and 4 months, at 6 per cent. ? 141. If the interest of 1 year is 6 per cent., what would be the per cent. for 2 years ? For 3 years ? For 6 months ? For 2 months? For 1 month? For 4 months ? For 5 months ? For 7 months ? For 8 months ? For 9 inonths ?
142. If the interest of 2 months or 60 days is I per cent., what would be the per cent. for 20 days ? What for 40 days ? What ‘for 15 days ? What for 45 days? What for 12 days ? What for 10 days! What for 5 days?
143. What is the interest of 100 and 37 dollars for 2 years 3 months and 20 days ?
144. A can do a piece of work in 2 days; how much of it can he do in 1 day ?
145. B can do a piece of work in 4 days; how much of it can he do in 1 day?
146. If A can do į of a piece of work in 1 day, and B can do į of it in 1 day, how much would both do in a day? How long would it take them both together to do the whole ?
147. If 1 man can do a piece of work in 2 days, and another in 3 days, how much of it would eacb
do in a day? How much would both together do? How long would it take them both to do the whole?
148. A cistern has 2 cocks; the first will fill it in 3 hours, the second in 6 hours; how much of it would each fill in an hour? How much would both together fill? How long would it take them both to fill it?
149. A man and his wife found by experience, that, when they were both together, a bushel of meal would last them only 2 weeks; but when the man was gone, it would last his wife 5 weeks. How much of it did both together consume in 1 week ? What part did the woman alone consume in 1 week ? What part did the man alone consume in 1 week? How long would it last the man alone ?
150. If 1 mau could build a piece of wall in 5 days, and another man could do it in 7 days, how much of it would each do in 1 day? How many days would it take them both to do it?
151. A cistern has 3 cocks; the first would fill it in 3 hours; the second in 6 hours; the third in 4 hours; what part of the whole would each fill in ) hour ? and how long would it take them all to fill it, if they were all running at once ?
152. A and B together can build a boat in 8 days, and with the assistance of C they can do it in 5 days; how much of it can A and B build in 1 day? how inuch of it can A, B, and C, build in 1 day? how much of it can C build alone in 1 day? how long would it tak, C to build it alone?
153. Suppose I would line 8 yards of broadcloth that is 14 yards wide, with shalloon that is it of a yard wide; how many yards of the shalloon will line 1 yard of the broadcloth ? how many yards will line the whole?
154. If 7 yards of cloth cost 13 dollars, what will 10 yards cost?
155. If the wages of 25 weeks come to 75 dollars, what will be the wages of 7 weeks ?
156. If 8 tons of hay will keep 7 horses three months, how much will keep 12 horses the same time ?
157. If a staff 4 feet long cast a shadow 6 feel long, what is the length of a pole that casts a shadow 58 feet at the same time of day?
158. If a stick 8 feet long cast a shadow 2 fcet in length, what is the height of a tree which casts a shadow 42 feet at the same time of day?
159. At 6 dollars per week, how many months' board can I have for 100 dollars ?
160. A ship has sailed 24 miles in 4 hours; how long will it take her to sail 150 miles at the same rate ?
161. 30 men can perform a piece of work in 20 days; how many men will it take to perform the same work in 8 days?
162. 17 men can perform a piece of work in 25 days; in how many days would 5 men perform the same work ?
163. A hare has 76 rods the start of a greyhound, but the greyhound runs 15 rods to ten of the hare; how many rods must the greyhound run to overtake the hare?
164. A garrison has provision for 8 months, at the rate of 15 ounces per day; how much must be allowed per day, in order that the provision may. last 11 months ?
165 If 8.men can build a wall 15 rods in length in 10 days, how many men will it take to build a wall 45 rods in length in 5 days ?
166. If a quarter of wheat affords 60 ten-penny loaves, how many eight-penny loaves may be obtained from it?
167. Said Harry to Dick, My purse and money