« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
75. 1 nail is to of a yard. 5 nails is of a yard
100. At the end of 1 hour they would be 7 and 4 miles apart. In 7 hours, 7 times 74, which is 54£ miles.
121 This is the principle of fellowship; 3 shillings were paid; one paid , the other .
122. One paid , the other t.
123. 20 dollars were paid in the whole; one paid of, another , and the third mo.
121. 3 and 4 and 5 are 12. The first put in ill; the second t; the third page
129. 4 dollars for 2 months is the same as 8 dollars for 1 month; 3 dollars for 3 months is the same as 9 dollars for 1 month; and 2 dollars for 4 months is the same as 8 dollars for 1 month. The question is the same as if A had put
in 8 dollars, B 9 dollars, and C 8 dollars. A must have 45,%, and C , of 100 dollars.
131. A's money was in 4 times as long as C's. It is the same as if A had put in 8 dollars for the same time, and B 8 dollars for the same time. A must have , B , and C, of 88 dollars.
The examples 127, 128, 129, 130, and 131, are double or compound fellowship.
139. The interest of 50 dollars for 1 year and 6 months is 4 dollars and 50 cents, and for 1 month it is 25 cents. The interest of 7 dollars for 19 months (a dollar is of a cent a month) is 664 cents. The whole amounts to 5 dollars and 414 cents.
140. The interest of 200 dollars for 11 years is 16 dollars. The interest of 67 dollars is 67 cents for every 2 months, for 16 months it will be 8 times 67 cents, which are 5 dollars and 36 cents. The whole interest is 21 dole lars and 36 cents.
143. The interest of 100 dollars for 21 years is 13 dollars and 50 cents. The interest of 100 dollars for 60 days would be 1 dollar, the interest for 20 days will be of a dollar, or 33} cents. The interest of 1 dollar for 24 years is 134 cents; for 10 dollars the interest would be i dollar and 35 cents, and for 30 dollars, 4 dollars and 5 cents. The interest of 7 dollars for 24 years is 7 times 13} cents or 94] cents. The interest of 37 dollars for 60 days would be 37 cents, and for 20 days f of 37 cents, or 12 cents, The whole interest is 18 dollars and 95 cents.
146. They would both together do of the work in 1 day, and it would take them of a day to do the other . Ans. 1} day.
147. i would be done in 1 day, and it would take of a day to do the other . Ans. if day.
149. They both together consume of a bushel in : week, but the woman alone consumes only of a bushel ir a week. That is, they both together consume in á week, but the woman alone only mi consequently, the man alone would consume %; and a bushel would last him 3} weeks.
152. A and B can build of it in 1 day; A, B, and C, can build of it in 1 day; the difference between and } is at; therefore C can build of it in 1 day; and it would take him 134 days to build it alone.
164. Find how much they might eat in a day, in order to make it last 1 month, and then it will be easy to find how much they may eat in a day, to make it last 11 months.
167. The money is ? parts of the whole, and the purse one part; consequently the money is ], and the purse of 16.
170. He gave one part for the apple, 2 parts for the orange, and 4 parts for the melon. These make 7 parts The apple 3 cents, the orange 6 cents, and the melon 19 cents.
175. If to a number half of itself be added, the sum is of that number; hence subtract 27 from 100, and the remainder is of the number of geese that he had.
180. This must be reduced to 6ths. 1 half is , and is , and the number itself is g. If therefore to the who number its half and its third be added, the sum will *; hence, 77 is 1l of the numb...
181. * is &; therefore if to a number 1 and 1 of itse bu added, the whole nnmber will be ] ; but when 18 mor is added to 1, the first number is doubled; that is, the number is f of the first number; therefore 18 is of the number.