Εικόνες σελίδας
Ηλεκτρ. έκδοση

The California volunteers were also mustered out the same year.

General Mason arrived in Yuma on May 14th, 1865 and immediately set about arranging his command for the protection of the settlers. He ordered Captain Kendall to proceed to Prescott via Fort Mohave, and Company E was ordered to La Paz by steamer, with instructions to proceed to the Wickenburg District. General Mason found himself greatly in need of supplies, and to give the soldiers all the freedom possible in the use of their arms, he arranged to get citizens to haul supplies so as to relieve the troops from this duty. In his report he stated that the whole Territory was virtually in the hands of the Indians; that he was preparing to start Colonel Lewis with three companies of his regiment and some two hundred Papago Indians on a campaign in northern Arizona, also to start a force of cavalry and two hundred Pimas and Maricopas for the Tonto Basin, into the center of the Apache nation. The chief of the Maricopas, Juan Chiavria, was willing to furnish one hundred men. For his services he wanted to visit San Francisco, as other chiefs had been there, and he did not wish to be behind any of his neighbors in becoming acquainted with the whites.

Colonel Lewis did not accomplish much, and on June 15th he was ordered to abandon the post at Tubac, and establish his command at Calabasas. That part of the Territory south of the Gila River, and east of the Pima villages, was made a sub-military district. A few feeble efforts were made against the Indians. Colonel C. E. Bennett left Fort Bowie on June 26th, 1865, going by a circuitous route to Fort Goodwin, and, traveling nights to avoid being seen by Indians, he returned by another route, and, on July 3d, discovered a rancheria. The Indians escaped, but he destroyed what effects fell into his hands. The next day a few Indians were discovered, who made their escape, but twenty-seven head of cattle were captured and taken to Fort Bowie, where the command arrived on the sixth. Colonel Bennett started out again on the 10th, this time to explore for a wagon road via Fort Breckenridge to Maricopa Wells. Upon this trip he did not meet any Indians, but saw signs of them. On July 13th, 1865, Captain Messenger, with thirty men, left Tubac for a scout in the Huachuca Mountains. On the 22d he and fifteen men were surrounded and attacked by one to two hundred Indians. After about an hour's fight the Indians were driven off. Two of the soldiers were killed and one wounded. Captain Messenger returned to Tubac on August 4th.

In June, 1865, General Mason visited Fort Bowie, and changed the location slightly, and on the 29th arrived at Fort Goodwin. Governor John N. Goodwin accompanied him on this trip. They remained at Fort Goodwin for a few days, during which time not a single Indian visited the post, although they had been notified of the coming of the Governor and the General. They evidently feared some treachery, as it is stated that during the previous year five flags of truce had been violated. The General reported that the commander of the post, Major Gorham, was rendered incompetent on account of intoxicating liquors. On this account, and because of blunders made at the time of the change of the department, matters were delayed for some time, and things were not in readiness for a campaign against the Apaches until November. From Maricopa Wells, General Mason proceeded to Prescott where, on October 31st, 1865, he issued General Order No. 11. Article V of this order says: “All Apache Indians in this Territory are hostile, and all men large enough to bear arms who may be encountered, will be slain wherever met, unless they give themselves up as prisoners. No women or children will be harmed; these will be taken prisoners. All rancherias, , provisions and whatever of value belonging to the Indians that may be captured, will be destroyed, except such articles as may be of value to the United States, which will be turned into the proper officers and duly accounted for."

The campaign was to commence on the 25th of November and continue until the Indians were exterminated or brought to terms. A plan of operations was laid out for Colonel Lewis, commanding at Calabasas; Colonel Wright, commanding at the mouth of the San Pedro; Lieutenant-Colonel Pollock, commanding at Fort Goodwin; Major Benson, commanding at Fort Whipple; Captain Grant, with a company at Date Creek; Lieutenant Gibbs, with a detachment at Wickenburg, and Lieutenant-Colonel Bennett, commanding a force of friendly Indians, probably Pimas and Maricopas, who was ordered to scout up Salt River, and to take care “that these Indians do not through mistake, come in contact with scouting parties of whites. A few of these expeditions were of some effect, but on the whole the campaign was a failure, and General Mason was even less successful than General Carleton had been, and, in consequence, he received the customary abuse which was always in plentiful supply for those who failed, no matter what cause led to such failure.

General Mason's policy was to place the Indians on reservations, offer them food and protection, and, on the other hand, to keep up incessant attacks upon them from all directions, which he thought would insure success, but his plan was interrupted by the withdrawal of the volunteers, and, in May or June, 1866, General Mason was removed. His plan was not much different from General Crook's who finally achieved success, but he lacked the means to carry it out.

During this period there was a lull in hostilities in the southeast, but settlers were still waylaid and murdered. One of the pioneers of that section was Charles A. Shibell, who was born in St. Louis, Missouri, in 1841, and attended the high school at Davenport, Iowa, and the Iowa College. He left St. Louis with his father, travelling with horse teams via St. Joe, the North Platte, and the Sweetwater, Humboldt and Carson route, through South Pass, to California, the trip from St. Joe consuming sixty days.

After a short period as a clerk in Sacramento, in the fall of 1861, Mr. Shibell entered the government employ as a teamster. February 15th, 1862, he arrived at Fort Yuma, and from there started toward the Rio Grande with the First and Fifth California Infantry, and the First California Cavalry Regiments. During this expedition he visited Tucson. On the 1st of January, 1863, he was transferred to Arizona, and returned to Tucson, then a small town. After a few months more of government service, he turned his attention to mining, later engaged in ranching and in transportation between Tucson and Yuma. He acted as Treasurer of the Tucson Building & Loan Association, and also of the Citizens' Building and Loan Association. From 1865 to 1868, he engaged in farming sixtyfive miles south of Tucson. In 1876 he was elected sheriff of Pima County, and was reelected in 1878, serving four years. Next he became interested in the hotel business, operating what is now the Occidental Hotel. In 1888 he was nominated county recorder on the Democratic ticket, and was duly elected. So satisfactory was his service that he was reelected successively in 1890, 1892, 1894, 1896, 1898 and 1900, the last time without opposition, and with the endorsement of the Republicans.

By his first marriage Mr. Shibell had four children: Mamie A. and Lillie M., of Tucson; Charles B., of Los Angeles, California, and Mercedes A., Mrs. Green, of Los Angeles. The second marriage of Mr. Shibell took place in San Francisco, and united him with Miss Nellie Norton, a native of Alabama. To this union were born two children: Lionel J., who is in the employ of the Southern Pacific Company, and Orpha. Fraternally Mr. Shibell was connected with the National Union, and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. In the Arizona Society of Pioneers he held the offices of Secretary and President. During the three years in which he was a member of the board of school trustees, he was for one year president, and for two years

[ocr errors]
« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »