Εικόνες σελίδας
Ηλεκτρ. έκδοση


for I just rose up from behind a point of rock with shotgun in hand. There had been several murders committed on the trail within a short time, and every one was looking out for himself on that trail.

When I had my tea made, I took the outfit and went back and got Beauchamp and the Doctor. Just before dark we got to the tank again, but there was no tortilla makers, and I never knew which way they went. That night we traveled a few miles to get feed, and the next day about twelve o'clock, we reached Bill Will. iams' Fork. We followed up the stream for two days. Leaving it to the left we traveled one day and part of the next through the low hills and mesa that lay to the south of the Fork and Date Creek.

When we came in sight of Date Creek, we all stopped to feast our eyes on what we all agreed was the most beautiful place we had ever seen. It was a green meadow with grass of different kinds growing all over it, and some of the grass was four feet, or more, in height. There was scattered cottonwood trees and groves covering several acres of the same kind of timber.

“A few Indians were camping near a stream of nice clear water that ran through this meadow. I learned from the Indians, several years later, that they called the place Ah-ha-Carsona, meaning ‘Pretty Water,' and have wondered if the Spanish might not have got the name Arizona from this place. Here we camped for the night, and Ayers, Ben Weaver and a Jew named Black Sol overtook us. The next day we made Antelope Creek, and here we camped three days, there being grass and water. A few Americans and

many Mexicans were camped here, and working the gulches with pan and rockers. We bought a rocker at Weaver, where we got a small stock of provisions, and fell in with a man who had lived six years in Mexico, and understood working ores, gold and silver, by the arrastra process. His name was A. P. Mahan.

From Weaver we crossed the mountains to the Ah-ha-Sayampa, which we struck just above the place where Walnut Grove dam was built. We camped two nights at this place, and did some panning from the bars and gulches. Got a little gold, but not enough to pay for a rocker. We moved up the creek about ten miles, and made our second camp, stayed one night and next day made camp on the creek above the little canyon, where we struck some rich float and traced it up to where we located and called it the Montgomery mine.

“We had come all the way from San Francisco to this mine, and only spent one day prospecting, until we reached the Montgomery, and found that on the second day. This was the first quartz mine located in the new country, and we had the location notices recorded in the placer mining book, John Pennington, Recorder, and he carried his book of records in his hip pocket, and his office was under a big juniper tree on the Hassayampa. Since then I have been a Hassayamper.

[ocr errors]




ICANS. “After finding the Montgomery mine and prospecting a few days, Dr. Howard left us and went to Walker's camp on Lynx Creek, and as we had to have some tools to dig with, Beauchamp and Mahan, my other two partners, started for Weaver, leaving me to keep camp, The second day after they left me I had a hard chill and took a dose of quinine. I took too much, I suppose, for it set me to wandering, and the first that I recollect, I found myself at a camp two and a half miles up the creek where there were some placer miners, all strangers to me; but they gave me some supper and John Dennis, afterwards of Phoenix, and San Diego, divided his bed with me, although he was sick, as was his partner Van Duzen, and a young man named Jack Armstrong. We slept within a few feet of Armstrong, and the next morning he was dead. Armstrong had a pick, shovel, steel bar, and a twelve pound hammer, which I knew we should have use for, as we had concluded to build an arrastra and work the ore of the Montgomery in that way. I had no money to buy the tools, as I had given Beauchamp my purse when he started for Weaver, but I knew there were several dollars in some specimens of the Montgomery mine ore at the camp, so I started for home as soon as I had some coffee. I found Jack, (as we called Beauchamp) and Mahan there, they having returned the night before. We got to work and ground out fourteen dollars worth of gold on a flat rock, and I was back to the placer mine in time to help bury Armstrong. I got the tools which, with four drills that Mahan had secured by buying two small bars such as the Mexican placer miners use instead of a pick, and having them cut in two and made into drills, and the pick and shovel that we had brought with us, comprised our set of mining tools to open up a mine with.

“We moved our camp down the creek about a quarter of a mile near some large tanks at the head of the canyon, and Mahan and I started to build the arrastra while Beauchamp worked at the mine and came down to dinner. Every time he came down he packed a sack of ore on his back. There was no trail by which a horse could get up or down. Besides, our horses were very poor and weak, having only what grass they could get in the daytime, and being tied up at night to keep the Indians from getting them. Mahan had worked in the silver mines in Mexico and understood arrastras and amalgamating, so when he and Beauchamp came back from Weaver, they brought a lot of rawhide from Peeples' ranch and with the rawhide and ash poles, the arrastra was built. There were no nails or iron of any kind in it. It was necessary, however, to have some holes in the ash poles, and we had nothing to make them with. A man named Lambertson had some tools, and he lived eleven miles from where we were. Jack went down there one Sunday and borrowed a brace, some bits, and a small chisel, with which we made the frame, or woodwork, of our arrastra. As I was not able to work much, I undertook the following Sunday to return the borrowed tools, which led me into the first Indian scare that I ever had. I had left camp early and intended to return before night, but at Walnut Grove where Lambertson lived, there was an Indian scare. Lambertson, who was an experienced Indian fighter, advised me to wait until after dark to go home, which advice I followed, and did not leave his place until quite dark. The trail led along the banks, bars and flats of the Hassayampa for about eight miles, and in many places there was a dense growth of catsclaw brush through which, without a trail to follow, it is almost impossible to pass without tearing clothing and flesh. On one of the highest bars the trail ran abruptly to a deep cut which caused it to make a short turn to get around the cut and back on its regular course. The cut was ten or twelve feet deep, and fifty or sixty feet long, and catsclaw growing right up to it. When I got to within a short distance of this place, I imagined I could hear people talking, and I stopped to listen and locate the source. This took me some little time. Finally I remembered the place, and concluded it must be Indians camped in the cut for the night. I was in a fix. It was out of the question to turn back for I knew Beauchamp would be after me before morning. To try to go down and go up the


« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »