« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
The denominations printed in bold type in each table are in most frequent use.
310. Measures of Length.
The Meter is the unit of length.
NOTE. The meter was intended to be, and is very nearly, the tenmillionth part of the distance from the Equator to the North Pole, as ascertained by actual measurement of the arc of a meridian.
10 millimeters (mm.)
6. How many inches in a meter?
7: What part of a mile is a kilometer?
Cloth, etc. are measured by the meter, long distances by the kilometer, and very small distances by the millimeter.
1. Meters in a kilometer? Hectometer?
4. Decimeters in a meter? Decameter? Hectometer?
5. What is measured by the meter? Kilometer? Milli
311. Measures of Area.
The Square Meter is the unit of area.
100 square millimeters (sq. mm.)
100 square meters
1 square meter=1.196 sq.yd. 1 sq. kilometer = .3861 sq. mi.
The square decameter is called an are (a.).
1 hectare, Ha.
1 square centimeter, sq. cm.
1 square decimeter,
1 square meter,
= 1 square decameter,
1 square yard
square 1 acre
1. Square meters in a square hectometer? 2. Square centimeters in a square meter? 3. Square meters in a square kilometer? 4. Square millimeters in a square meter? 5. Square miles in 10 square kilometers? 6. Ares are equivalent to an acre?
7. Acres in 10 ares?
8. Ares in 100 acres?
Surfaces of ordinary objects are measured by the square meter, land as in farms is measured by the are and hectare, while larger areas are measured by the square kilometer.
.8361 sq. m. 2.59 sq. Km. 40.47 a.
312. Measures of Volume.
The Cubic Meter, sometimes called the stere (st.), is the unit of volume.
1000 cubic millimeters (cu. mm.) 1 cubic centimeter,
1 cubic meter,
1 cubic meter = 1.308 cu. yd. | 1 cubic yard
1 liter 1 liter
1 hectoliter 26.417 gal.
= 1.0567 liq. qt.
The contents of ordinary solids are measured by the cubic meter; wood is measured by the stere.
313. Measures of Capacity.
The Liter is the unit of capacity. It equals a cubic decimeter.
1 hectoliter, H.
1 myrialiter, MI.
.3524 HI. 61.022 cu. in.
Liquids are measured by the liter, and grains, etc. are measured by the hectoliter.
In a kiloliter?
1. Liters in a hectoliter?
3. Liters in a cubic meter?
4. Centiliters in a liter? 5. Milliliters in a liter?
6. What part of a hectoliter is a bushel?
7. How many liters in a gallon? In a bushel?
10 milligrams (mg.)
314. Measures of Weight.
The Gram is the unit of weight. It is the weight of a cubic centimeter of distilled water at the temperature of 39.2° Fahrenheit.
In a stere?
In a hectoliter?
In a kiloliter?
1 grain = .0648 8.
= .9072 T.
The gram is used in weighing light articles and in mixing medicines, the kilogram in weighing ordinary articles, and the metric ton in weighing heavy articles.
1. Grams in a kilogram? In a hectogram? 2. Milligrams in a gram? In a kilogram?
3. Decigrams in a decagram? In a hectogram?
4. Centigrams in a hectogram? In a kilogram?
NUMERATION AND NOTATION.
315. A denominate number expressed in the metric system is called a Metric Number.
A metric number when expressed in a single denomination may be read in either of two ways, as follows: 64.25TM. may be read 64 and 25 hundredths meters, or 64 meters and 25 centimeters.
A metric number may be expressed in terms of any denomination. Thus, 6 Dm., 4 m., 2 dm., 5 cm., may be expressed as Dm. 64.25 m., 6.425 dm. 642.5 or 6425 cm.
Read the following:
1. 45.26 Dm.
4. 42.167 Hg.
5. 481.64 8.
EXERCISES IN NUMERATION.
EXERCISES IN NOTATION.
1. Write 8 meters and 7 centimeters in terms of meters. In terms of decimeters. In terms of centimeters.
Write the number beginning with the unit of measure of each table, and then place the decimal point so that the required denomination is in the units' place.