« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
did not know how to divide them equally. His brother told him to cut the whole into halves, and then cut each of the halves into 3 pieces: What part of a whole orange did each have ?
72. What is of 21 ? .
73. A man bought 4 bushels of corn for 39 dol- . lars; what part of a dollar did i bushel cost ?
Change the 34 to thirds, and then find of y as above.
74. What is of 5?
75. If 5 bushels of wheat cost 73 dollars, what is that a bushel ?
76. What is į of 7?
77. A man bought 6 gallons of brandy for 8% dollars; what was that a gallon ?
78. What is 1 of 83?
79. A man bought 7 gallons of wine for 84 dollars ; how much was that a gallon?
80. What is 4 of 84?
81. A man bought' 10 pieces of nankin for 63 dollars; how much was it a piece ?
82. What is the of 63 ?
83. If 9 bushels of rye cost 72 dollars, what is that a bushel ?
84. What is of 7? 85. What is į of 5? 86. What is of S4 ? 87. What is t of 6-2? S8. What is į of 94 ?
89. A man bought ņ yards of cloth for 18doliars; what was that a yard? What would 3 yards cost at that rate ?
90. What is of 183? What is 8 of 18%?
91. A man bought 5 barrels of cider for 27 dollats; what was it a barrel ? What would ņ barrels cost at that rate ? 92. What is 1 of 273? What is ļ of 271?
93. If 6 barrels of flour cost 384 dollars, what would 10 barrels cost at that rate ?
94. What is te of 384?
B. 1. A man bought a piece of cloth for 42 dollars, and was obliged to sell it for of what it cost him ; how much did he lose ?
2. A man bought a quantity of four for 534 dollars, and sold it for all of what it cost him ; how much did he gain ?
3. If y men can do a piece of work in 4 days, how long will it take 1 man to do it? How long will it take 3 men to do it ?
4. If 4 men can do a piece of work in 93 days, how long would it take to do it if 7 men were employed ?
5. There is a pole standing so that of it is in the water, and is as much in the mud; how much is in the mud ?
6. If a man can travel 134 miles in 3 hours, how many miles will he travel in 8 hours ?
7. If 5 horses will eat 267 loads of hay in a year, what will 8 horses eat in the same time?
8. If 4 cocks will empty a cistern in 66 hours, how long will it take 7 cocks of the same size to empty it?
A. 1. A boy, having 2 oranges, wished to give f of an orange apiece to his playmates; how many could he give them to ? If he had given of an orange apiece, how many could he have given them to ?
2. How many times are there in 2? How many times are there in 2 ?
3. A man, having 3 bushels of corn, distributed it among some poor persons, giving them of a bushel each ; to how many did he give it?
Note. Find first how many he would have given it to, if he had given of a bushel to each.
4. In 3 are how many times 1 ? How many times ?
5. If 2 of a barrel of flour will last a family"one month, how long will 4 barrels last the same family? How long will 6 harrels last? How long will 10 barrels last?
6. How many times is contained in 4? How many times in 6 ? How many times in 10?
7. If of a bushel of wheat will last a family one week, how many weeks will 6 bushels last the same family?
&. How many times is contained in 63 ?
9. There is a cistern having a cock which will fill it in f of an hour; how many times would the cock fill the cistera in 3 hours !
10. How many times is contained in 3 ?
11. How much cloth at 11 dollars (that is, dola lars) a yard can be bought for 4 dollars ?
12. How many times is 14 or contained in 4 ?
13. A man distributed 83. bushels of wheat among some poor persons, giving 14 bushels to each; how many did he give it to ?
14. How many times is 1} contained in 81?
15. If a soldier is allowed 14 pounds (that is, of a pound) of meat in a day, to how many soldiers would 6 pounds be allowed ?
16. How many times is 14 contained in 67 ?
17. If if tons of hay will keep a horse through the winter, how many horses will 10 tons keep?
18. How many times is 1. contained in 10 ?
19. At 21 dollars a box, how many boxes of rajsins can be bought for 10 dollars ?
20. How many times is 21 contained in 10?
21. At 14 dollars a pound, how many pounds of indigo can be bought for 90 dollars ?
22. How many times is le contained in 92?
23. At 14 dollars a barrel, how many barrels of raisins can be bought for 99 dollars ?
24. How many times is 14 contained in 93 ?
25. At of a dollar a piece, how many pieces of uankin can be bought for 8f dollars ?
26. How many times is contained in 8%?
27. At f of a dollar a pound, how many pounds of tea can be bought for 7 dollars ?
28. How many times is & contained in 7 ?
B. 1. At th of a dollar a pound, how many pounds. of meat can be bought for Iof a dollar ?
Note. Change 1 to tenths.
3. A man, having of a barrel of flour, distributed it among some poor persons, giving them t of a barrel apiece; how many did he give it to ?
Nole. Change both fractions to twelfths; that is, reduce them to a common denominator.
4. How many times is & contained in ?
5. If a pound of almonds cost of a dollar, how many pounds can be bought for of a dollar?
Note. Reduce the fractions to a common denominator.
6. How many times is 4 contained in ?
7. If a piece of nankin cost of a dollar, how many pieces can be bought for 48 dollars ? that is, le dollars ?
8. How many times is contained in 4*? '
many bushels can be bought for ļof a dollar? How many for 1 dollars ?
10. How many times is contained in /? How many times in 13 ?
11. How many times is contained in 4 ? 12. How many times is contained in ?
TABLES OF COINS, WEIGHTS, AND MEASURES
Table 1.-FEDERAL MONEY.
1 dollar. 10 dollars
Table II.—STERLING Money..
1 pound. 6 shillings
i dollar. 28 shilings
moje os en
Table III.—Troy Weight. 24 grains, gr. make · 1 pennyweight. 20 pennyweights « 1 ounce. 12 ounces
Table IV.--AVOIRDUPOIS Weight. 16 drams, dr. make 1 ounce. 16 ounces
1 pound. 28 pounds
16 S 1 quarter of a hun