« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
278. What must I pay to insure some goods worth $3500, at a premium of 11 % on of their value ?
279. If these goods should be destroyed by fire, what would be the loss to the owner ?
280. What would be the loss to the underwriters ?
281. What amount must be insured to cover property worth $1800 and a premium of į % ?
282. A marine insurance company took a risk of $25000 at 31 %, and reinsured f of their risk in another company at 34 %. Should the property be destroyed at sea, how much would the first company lose ?
283. The taxes in a school district are, assessed upon property valued at $ 87000 ; the whole tax is as follows : for building and furnishing a school-house, $ 2100; for fuel, care of house, and wages of eacher, $ 510. What is the tax on $ 1 ? What amount of tax is paid by a person whose property is valued at $ 4500 ?
284. At 20 % ad valorem, what is the duty on 18 chests of tea, the gross weight being 765 pounds, 6 pounds for tare being allowed on each chest, the tea costing 35% per pound ?
285. When the duty on a quantity of lace at 30 % ad valorem is $ 115.80, what was the cost of the lace and duty in francs at $0.193
per franc ?
286. A merchant imported from Geneva 35 watches at $ 65 each, and 42 watches at $ 125 each. The duty being 35% ad valorem, what did the watches cost, and for how much apiece must they be sold to make a profit of 15 % ?
287. Find the amount of a $ 300 note given the 25th of August, and paid the 19th of the next December, interest 10 % per annum. 288. A trader borrowed $ 8000 at 5 % per annum.
He used this money in a way to yield him $ 1256.42 during the year. How much did he clear by borrowing this money ?
289. What is the interest of 1 cent for 1 day at 1% a year (365 d.) ? 290. Find the amount of each of the following sums at 7 % :
$820 from Feb. 10, 1880, to Dec. 4, 1880.
$ 1500 from Dec. 15, 1880, to May 10, 1881. 291. A due-bill is given for $ 68.50 with interest at 73 %. What will the bill amount to if it runs 72 days ?
292. Find the difference between the accurate interest of $ 1500 at 6% and the interest, by the common method, the time being from May 24 to Oct. 15, 1881.
293. What per cent on my investment do I save by buying, April 1, $30 worth of goods for which I should pay $ 48 the first of the following December, money being worth 6% a year?
294. A note given May 4, 1879, on demand at 7 % for $ 475, was indorsed July 2, 1879, $100 ; Oct. 1, 1879, $100 ; what sum remained due April 1, 1880 ?
295. Jan. 1, 1879, I gave a note for $ 356 at 6 %. When will this note amount to $ 400 ?
296. In what time will the interest on a sum of money be of the principal at 6 % per annuin ?
297. At what rate per annum will the interest on a sum of money be 0.0215 of the principal in 4 months ?
298. The use of money being worth 6 % a year, what is the present value of $ 500 due four years hence ?
299. If a merchant sells flour at $ 9 a barrel, and has to wait 6 months for his pay, at what price could he afford to sell for cash down, the use of money being worth to him 2% a month ?
300. Sold goods amounting to $ 4500, one half on 4 months' credit, the rest on 6 months, and got the notes discounted at a bank at 8%. What was realized ?
301. A trader buys 900 pairs of gloves at $ 0.75 a pair cash, and immediately sells them for $ 1090 on a note payable in 4 months without interest. Suppose he gets the note discounted at a bank for the 4 months, what will he have made ?
302. Write a note on 3 months' time for such a sum that, when discounted by a bank at 7 %, the proceeds may be $ 400.
303. What is the amount, at compound interest, of $ 100 from April 1, 1876, to Jan. 1, 1879, at 6 % per annum, interest payable semiannually?
304. What is the equated time for paying the following bills of goods bought on 30 days' credit : June 2, $ 420 ; June 8, $ 600 ; June 15, $ 560 ?
305. A person holding three promissory notes, one for $100 payable in 2 months, another for $ 300 payable in 4 months, and another for $ 200 payable in 6 months, exchanges them for a single note for the sum total. When should this be payable?
306. A owes B $2000 due Oct. 5. If he should pay $ 1200 of it on the 8th of the previous September, when should the balance be paid, that there may be neither gain nor loss of interest ?
307. F. Bates owes A. Smith $350, due May 29. If he should pay $ 50 on the 29th of April previous, when should he pay the balance?
308. Find the balance due Flint in the following account, Oct. 1, 1880, interest at 6 %, from the date of the items :
309. The value of £1 being $ 4.8667, find the value of $ 1 in shillings and pence.
310. The value of 1 franc being $0.193, what is the value of $1 in francs and centimes ?
311. The value of 1 franc being $0.193, and the value of £1 being $ 4.866), find the value of £1 in francs and centimes. Also find the value of 1 franc in units of English money.
312. If £1= 25.22 francs, find the value in English money of a French coin worth 20 francs.
NOTE. - In solving the next four examples use the par value of money as shown on page 311.
313. A railroad has been commenced, passing from Algiers to the Niger, near Timbuctoo. It is estimated that the remaining 1700 miles will cost 400,000,000 francs. Find the estimated cost per mile in francs ; in dollars.
314. Coal was 29 shillings a ton in London in 1879. What was that in United States money ?
315. It is estimated that the actual cost of rearing a boy of one of the poorest classes in England is £ 300. What would be the cost in dollars of rearing a family of 5 boys?
316. If electric pens cost 18 francs each, what is the cost of a dozen such pens in dollars and cents ?
317. I wish to remit £ 143 10 s. to London. Exchange is quoted at $ 4.871. What will my bill of exchange cost ?
318. If Mr. Wm. H. Vanderbilt owns $31,000,000 in U. S. 4 per cent bonds, what is his income per day from these bonds ?
319. When the use of money is worth 51% a year, what should be the price of a thousand-dollar Government 4 per cent bond, no account being made of interest upon the quarterly interests, nor of the fact that when the bond becomes due, it will be paid at par.
320. A man has settled on his wife $ 1200 a year. What sum must he invest in government 4 per cents at 107} to produce that amount of income?
321. By investing in the 6 per cent bonds of a city I get an annual income of 4% on my money. At what price were the bonds bought?
322. From which investment would the larger returns be derived ; from 7 per cent bonds at 115, or 6 per cent bonds at 98 ?
323. What per cent must I make on an investment of $1000 to equal the income from three U. S. 4 per cents of $ 500 each ?
53. Analysis and Proportion. 324. If 112 men can do a piece of work in 102 days, how many men can do it in 12 days ?
325. How many eggs at 24¢ per dozen will pay for 25 lbs. of butter at 424 per pound ?
326. My bill for gas being $ 17.25 when gas is $ 1.90 per 1000 cubic feet, what would it be if gas were 2.15 per 1000 cubic feet, and I should use j as much?
327. If the cost of keeping 25 horses is $57.50 a week, what is the cost of keeping 13 horses from July 1 to October 31, both days included ?
328. At noon on a certain day the shadow of a man 5 ft. 11 in. tall is found to measure 4 ft. 2 in. What is the height of a tree whose shadow at the same time measures 47 feet 4 inches ?
329. The interest of $ 500 at 6% for 3 years is equivalent to the interest of how inuch at 8 % for 21 years ?
330. If 450 pounds of merchandise can be carried 26 miles for 30%, how many miles can 3 tons be carried for $4?
331. If, when flour is $ 7.50 per barrel, a 3-cent loaf weighs 2 oz., what should a 12-cent loaf weigh when flour is $ 12 per
barrel ? 332. If a seamstress earns $ 9 a week by working 10 hours a day, how much can she earn in 3 weeks 2 days by working 8 hours a day? 333. If 5 men can do a piece of work in 7 days of 11 hours each, how long will it take to finish the work when it is half done, if 3 more men are set to work upon it, and all work 8 hours a day?
334. If it takes 21 yards of cloth of a yard wide to make 4 garments, how many yards 14 yards wide will it take to make 2 dozen garments of the same kind ?
335. It takes 8 men 15 days to build 28 rods of fence; how long will it take to build 80 rods if 4 boys help, each boy doing half as much work as a man does ?
336. If the weight of a block of sandstone 3 ft. long, 2 ft. wide, and 2 in. thick, is 140 pounds, what is the weight of another block of sandstone 4 ft. long, 3 ft. 6 in. wide, and 3 ft. thick ?
337. If 3 silver spoons, each weighing 2 oz. 6 pwt. 16 gr., cost $9.00, silver being worth $ 1.25 per ounce, what should be paid for 6 dozen similar spoons, each weighing 3 oz. 3 pwt. 12 gr., when silver is worth $1.40 per ounce, and the cost of making is the same ?
338. Four men hire a pasture in common, paying $ 34.50. A puts in 3 cows 19 days, B 2 cows 15 days, C 3 cows 7 days, and D 1 cow 30 days. How much must each
? 339. Two contractors have finished work for which they have been paid $ 12500. One of them employed 50 laborers for 125 days of 12 hours each ; the other 40 laborers for 90 days of 10 hours each. Divide the money between them in proportion to the labor each furnished.
340. A, B, and C invest $ 4860 in trade : A invests twice as much as B, and C invests twice as much as A and B together; they gain 40 per cent on their investment. What is each person's share?
341. Divide $ 9765 among 8 men, so that one half of them shall have twice as inuch as the other half.
342. Mr. Bacon has failed for $ 14568 more than is covered by his available resources. His creditors' claims amount to $30548. How much must N! lose, if Bacon owes him $2500 ?
343. T. and V. formed a partnership to trade in coal. T. furnished $ 3000 for the first 10 months, at the end of which time he added $ 1000 more, and at the end of the second year, $ 500 more. V. put in $ 2500 for the first 18 months, at the end of which time he put in $ 3500 more. At the end of the third year they found their gain to be $ 5565 ; what should each receive ?