Εικόνες σελίδας
Ηλεκτρ. έκδοση

establishment of free schools, and the advancement of learning. This congeniality of sentiment led to the most intimate connection-Mr. Anderson Dana and Sylvester Dana, Esq., marrying sisters of the Stevens family. Removing from Wilkesbarre, Jonathan Stevens, Esq., settled in Braintrim, and afterwards in Bradford county, where, on the organization of that county-having long exercised with intelligence and firmness the duties of a magistrate, he was appointed one of the associate judges. When the author had the pleasure of his acquaintance, thirty years ago, his manners were pleasing—he was intelligent, quick to observe, ready to communicate, and of a most extraordinary memory. His conversation was highly agreeable and instructive.



LIEUTENANT JAMES WELLES is on the record of the honoured patriots, who fell in that disastrous battle, which filled Wyoming with lamentation and woe. The family were the earliest settlers in Springfield, on the Wyalusing, from which on danger of the savages becoming imminent, they removed to the more densely settled part of the country in the valley: Resuming the occupation of their property on the restoration of peace, the family became prosperous, and continue among the most respectable and independent inhabitants of that beautiful place, (formerly it will be remembered the residence of the Moravian missionaries and Christian Indians.)



Of the Corey and the BULLOCK families, no longer residents of Wyoming, we have been able to learn much less than, from their sacrifices and sufferings, could have been wished. Amos and Asa Bullock were killed in the battle. One of the name, probably one of the brothers, who fell, was a lawyer; the father resided at the meadows, six miles on the Easton road, from Wilkesbarre, where the night and day, after the massacre, from the rushing in and departure of the fugitives, images of sorrow and despair, the dreadful uncertainity of the fate of his boys, the scene was inexpressibly distressing. Nathan Bullock, probably the father, was two years afterwards taken by Indians a prisoner to Canada.

Three of the Corey family were among the victims of the rifle and tomahawk; Jenks, Rufus and Anson. The former was one of the original proprietors of Pittston. It may be noted, as extraordinary, that three of the younger branches of the name came by melancholy accident to untimely deaths. One, being shot by a neighbour, mistaken for a deer.—One lumbering some years ago on the Lehighthe other in the far western country, to which the remains of the family had emigrated. The father died long since in Kingston, and his remains are buried on or near the spot where the tavern stands on the north-east corner at New Troy.



The Church family came from Kent, Litchfield county. “An abstract of the second Independent company raised in the town of Westmoreland, commanded

by Capt. Samuel Ransom,” dated October 7th, 1777, contains the names of Nathaniel Church, John Church and Gideon Church. The present farm on the Kingston flats, opposite Mill Creek, was owned by, and the residence of Gideon, and the property now belongs to his son, Wm. Church. The reader, familiar with old Indian wars, will remember the gallant and successful Captain Church, wbs was scarcely less distinguished than Mason, the hero of the Pequot conquest. There is no reason to doubt that the families were of the same original stock, that in a very early day emigrated from England.

In the list of slain in the battle, furnished by Colonel Franklin, is the name of Joel Church, who also was the brother of Gideon. With many other Wyoming people, attracted by alluring accounts of the richness of western lands, several of the family removed to Ohio.


CAPTAIN REZIN GERE. CAPTAIN REZIN GERE commanded the second or upper Wilkesbarre company on the fatal 3d.* He left three sons, the eldest only five years of age, to the care of his widow. Driven with her orphan children from the valley, their house and all their papers were consumed by fire. Too young to know their rights or to return and repossess their farm-the title papers being destroyed-the land of course went into other hands. Captain Jeremiah Gere, a highly respectable citizen of Susquehanna county, recently deceased, was one of the sons. The other brothers not long since visited Wyoming. "We are becoming old and are poor, said they, “our father fell, a commissioned officer, fighting the enemies of liberty and his country—we lost everything, even the land. Is there no redress? Is there no aid to be obtained from the government of the country?". Their case seems one of great hardship. Is there one instance in a hundred in which Congress have granted lands or pensions where the claim was so strong as this?

* He was from Norwich, descended from one of the oldest families of that place. A Mr. Rezin Gere is named in its annals as living an hundred and fifty years ago. Capt Gere was aged 40 years at the time of his death. Stephen Gere, of Brooklyn, Susquehanna county, is the only son now living (June, 1845).



In Pittston the leading families, during the Revolutionary war, were the Blanchards, Browns, Careys, Bennetts, Silbeys, Marcys, Benedicts, St. Johns, * Sawyers, not omitting the gallant Cooper. Observe that neat white house on the plain-see that white and tasteful dwelling on the hill—both are occupied by the descendants of Cooper. The Rev. Mr. Benedict was the earliest minister there. Those handsome buildings above Manockasy belong to the Blanchards. Captain Jeremiah Blanchard (the elder) commanded the Pittston company: Unjust censure was cast upon him by some querulous people, because he did not lead his men into battle. The failure to do so arose neither from want of courage nor patriotism. At the head of the valley, the enemy having possession of Wintermoot and Jenkins Forts, both in sight and only separated from his stoccade by the river, he could not have gone with his men tó Forty Fort without leaving the women, children, and everything under his care, to the exasperated fury of the savages.

Zebulon and Ebenezer Marcy were brothers. The painful circumstances connected with the flight of the wife of Ebenezer are elsewhere related. The case of the wife of Zebulon was still more distressing. She fled with an infant, six weeks old in her arms, at the same time leading a child two years older. The oldest died in the wildemess, and as there were no means to bury it decently, they covered it with moss and bark as well as they could, and hurried on, leaving its remains to the beasts of prey. The infant daughter, Mrs. Whitmore, formerly Mrs. M'Cord, is now (June, 1845) living in Wyoming county. Zebulon Marcy after the war, established himself on a fine farm, on the Tunkhannock, where he exercised the duties of a magistrate for many years. On the 11th of September, 1834, he closed his eventful life at the advanced age of 90 years.

Pittston, though not the most attractive in reference to soil, of the first five located townships, will probably prove the richest in the valley, from its position, its water power, and unbounded quantities of available anthracite.

* Daniel St. John was the first person murdered after the capitulation. Pronounced by the old people Senshon.



EMIGRATED at an early day to Wyoming, from Norwich. Justus Gaylord commenced a settlement in Springfield, on the Wyalusing, before Indian hostilities began; but was obliged to remove down the river to the more densely populated country.

When the independent companies were raised, two of his sons, Justus and Ambrose, enlisted in that of Captain Ransom, and served during the war.

On the restoration of peace, the old gentleman and his son Justus resumed their possessions at Wyalusing; while Ambrose established himself at Braintrim.

Aholiab Buck, captain of the Kingston company, about a year before the battle, had married Miss York, born in Stonington. The (subsequently) Rev. Miner York was her brother. Mrs. Buck was in Forty Fort, having in her arms an infant daughter, a few weeks old, when her husband led his men to the field--no more to return. Their flight, their sorrows, their deep sufferings, so similar to those of hundreds of others, it would seem like repetition to relate. At the conclusion of the war, Justus Gaylord, Jr., and Mrs. Buck were married by the Rev. Mr. Johnson. The author waited upon her, June 25th, 1845, and found the good old lady, now eighty-eight years of age, in fine health and spirits, the profusion of lace upon her cap speaking of habitual fondness for dress, her round, full face, and cheerful smile indicating in early life, remarkable personal beauty. She had walked up a mile to visit Mrs. Taylor, wife of Major John Taylor, the daughter we have spoken of as being on her nursing bosom in July, 1778. Mrs. Gaylord never had but that one child. But Mrs. Taylor has counted seventeen, and near forty grandchildren, besides seven or eight great-great-grandchildren. So that, although the name of Captain Buck is not perpetuated, yet his descendants are now numerous, and “ well to live."

In 1806, Justus Gaylord, Jr., was on the ticket for assembly. Luzeme then embraced Wyoming, Susquehanna, and Bradford, except the Tioga district set off to Lycoming. The votes stood

Justus Gaylord, Jr., 333
Justus Gaylord,



Moses Coolbaugh 364 So that if the votes given without the Jr. were added to his list, (his father being a very old man and not a candidate,) he was chosen. But the place had not charm

enough to induce the old soldier to contest the election, and Mr. Coolbaugh took the seat. The incident is mentioned to show the respect in which he was held as well as to show the fact that less than 400 votes chose a member of assembly.

The old gentleman removed with a son to the Ohio, where, at a very advanced age, he died. Justus died May, 1830, aged 73.

Ambrose, who settled in Braintrim, married Eleanor Comstock, daughter of John Comstock, who came from Norwich west farms. Mr. Gaylord died June 12. 1844, and had he lived to November, he would have been 95. His country had not entirely forgotten him, for his old age was cheered by a pension of 80 dollars. His good 'wife Eleanor, with whom we spent an hour, now (June, 1845,) 83 years of age, appears of perfectly sound mind and memory. She states that her father and two brothers were in the battle, she living in Forty Fort. Her two bro thers, Kingsley and Robert, were killed. Her father, exhausted in the flight, threr himself beside a fallen tree. Presently two Indians sprang upon it, intent on those at a distance, and, on stepping down to pursue, bent the bushes so as to brush him. When night came, he found his way to the fort.

Another branch of the name settled in the lower part of Wyoming. The father of the late Charles E. Gaylord, Esq., of Huntington, died while in the service, haring been a member of Captain Durkee's company. Lieutenant Aaron Gaylord, one of the officers who fell in the battle, was his brother. In the queer poem, the American Revolutionary War, in rhyme, I find:

“ Next Aaron Gaylord unto death did yield,

With Stoddart Bowen on the tented field.” Dr. Charles Gaylord studied medicine after the war with Dr. Henderson, a distinguished physician of Connecticut, in compliment to whom he gave that name to his son, the present merchant in Plymouth. Dr. Gaylord died in 1839, aged 69 years.

Four, therefore, bore arms for their country, one of whom died in the service, and one fell in batttle.



REMOVED with his family to Wyoming, and settled at Plymouth in 1776. After the massacre, with his family he fled, taking his course down the Susquehanna two days' journey; thence across the mountains towards Northampton or Berks. Exhausted by fatigue, and heart-stricken with terror, Mrs. Rogers fainted upon the journey; and notwithstanding the utmost aid was administered their poor means afforded, she died in the wilderness, many miles from any human habitation. This was July the 9th, 1778. Husband and children gathered round to look upon the pale face of one who in life they had loved so fondly: It was a scene of inerpressible sorrow. A broken piece of board that lay in the path was used for a spade, and in a hollow where a fallen tree had upturned its roots, a shallow grave was dug, and her remains were buried with all the care and respect their distressed condition would allow. On the board placed over the grave, this inscription was written with a piece of charcoal ::

“ Here rest the remains of Hannah, wife of Josiah ROGERS, who died while fleeing from the Indians after the massacre at Wyoming.”

Frail memorial of reverence and love ! yet how slightly more endurable, hasa ing reference either to time or eternity, are the costliest monuments that ostentatious pride, or heartfelt grief, have ever erected, to perpetuate what the inexorable law of nature has prescribed shall be forgotten!

The deceased was aged 52 years. Her maiden name was Hannah Ford.
On arriving at the settlement near the Blue Mountain, the same sympathy and

kindness were extended to them which the Wyoming people had uniformly experienced from the benevolent Germans. After an exile of some months, the survivors of the family returned to Plymouth, where danger still awaited them.

That the old gentleman was a humourist will be seen from the account given of his hair-breadth escape from Indian captivity or death. His descendant, Dr. Joel J. Rogers, is the narrator.

-“ In the spring of 1779, the next year after the massacre, Josiah Rogers, my great-grandfather, having returned, said, 'I will lay my bones in Wyoming. Indians had not for some time been seen in the valley, and Capt. James Bidlack with Mr. Rogers, started on horseback to go to Plymouth to see, if eligible to remove with their families. After crossing the river some eighty rods below the present bridge, they passed up the road, on the township line, until they were near Toby's creek, where an Indian appeared and rushing towards them from behind the willows, would have seized their bridles. He was instantly followed by others, and the trembling willows then disclosed the cove of the creek above them red with Indians. But a Yankee, though an old man, don't give up, you know, without showing his skill. They were unarmed, but they wheeled their horses suddenly, and made towards the block house on the bank of the river. Capt. Bidlack's saddle having an old girth, which broke, turned and precipitated him to the ground. And now came a race; Bidlack after Rogers ! But stepping on a rail, (laid over a slough,) which turned with him, Capt. Bidlack fell and was immediately taken prisoner. Now flew the lead—and now flew my grandfather's old horse, which, as the old gentleman used to say, "didn't like the smell of an Indian. One savage, fleet of foot, came very near his horse but did not quite reach him, another was but a few rods behind. He grew quite familiar with the whizzing of balls, but felt no wound.

“ The garrison at the block-house, on hearing the firing, advanced to the rescue. The cannon at the Fort in Wilkesbarre, of which the Indians were terribly afraid, was brought to bear, and discharged towards them, arresting their progress. My great-grandfather wore a tight-bodied coat, and an over coat of the same cloth, made of wool-coloured, one part butternut, the other blue, homespun, woven, and dressed, &c. (homespun, you understand). Coming to a new country, he expected to preserve them unsullied for many years, when, alas! on arriving at the block-house, he found the rascals had cut two holes through his over-coat, passing in near the small of the back on one side, coming out eight inches from it on the other, with a rent of a fingers' breadth in his tight-bodied coat. For many years he was compelled to wear, when abroad and at meeting, the evidence of Indian skill in shooting at a mark."

The capture of young Josiah Rogers (with Pike and Van Campen) is related in our annals.

Josiah Rogers lived to the good old age of 96 years, and died in 1815, his wish being accorded “to lay his bones at Wyoming."

The family were highly respectable, and remarkable for their intelligence. Numbers of the name still reside in the lower part of Wyoming.



As the biography of Washington is the story of the Revolution, so the life of Col. Zebulon Butler is the History of Wyoming. Almost every letter of our annals bears the impress of his name, and is a record of his deeds. A liberal and natural curiosity would lead to the desire, to learn something of the early life of a man so distinguished—for he was in full manhood when he made his first appearance on the waters of the Susquehanna. A native of Lyme, New London County, Zebulon Butler was born in 1731. From the neat hand-writing and business style of

« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »