« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
rules and regulations governing the election of municiand by whom result certified. pal officers for said city, and the officers conducting such
election shall ascertain and certify the result to the secretary of said board within three days thereafter. Such result shall within ten days after the same is so certified be noted on the minutes, and the certificate filed by the clerk. The said board of education is hereby vested with the power to appoint the officers required by law to hold and conduct such election.
To be noted on the minutes.
board as to
7. Any person'voting in favor of such issue of bonds shall have upon his ballot the words, written or printed, “For ratification;" and any person voting against such issue shall have upon his ballot the words, written or printed, "For rejection;" and all ballots, shall be sealed
up and deposited with the said secretary. In the event Authority of
that the result of such election is favorable to such purchase and issue, the board shall have authority to purchase upon
reasonable terms, real estate within the district, suitable for the purpose, and to erect thereon such new public school building, and to sell upon the best terms prac
ticable the principal school building now used, and the Application of land upon which it is located, applying the proceeds of proceeds of such sale to such purchase, and, should a surplus remain, the payment of the interest on such bonds.
WILLIAM SEYMOUR EDWARDS, Speaker of the House of Delegates.
sale of real estate, etc.
WM. G. WORLEY, President of the Senate.
STATE OF WEST VIRGINIA,
February 21, 1895.
W. E. CHILTON,
Secretary of State.
[NOTE BY THE CLERK OF THE HOUSE OF DELEGATES. - The foregoing act takes effect at the expiration of ninety days after its passage.]
.(House Bill No. 3.)
AN ACT authorizing the Independent School District
of Spencer, in the county of Roane, to issue bonds for the purpose of paying off existing indebtedness, for the purpose of building, supplying and equipping school houses in the town of Spencer, said district.
(Passed February 1, 1895.)
Be it enacted by the Legislature of West Virginia :
1. The board of education for the independent school Board of edudistrict of Spencer, in the county of Roane, is hereby cation of indeauthorized at any time within five years from the pas-trict of Spensage of this act, to issue and sell their bonds, for the to issue bonds; purpose of paying off its existing indebtedness, for for what purbuilding, supplying and equipping school houses in the town of Spencer, in said district, subject to all the limitations and provisions set forth in the succeeding sections of this act.
Denomination of bonds; when
2. All bonds issued and sold under this act shall be of the denomination of one hundred dollars. They payable. shall be payable thirty years from their date: Provided, That they may be paid at any time after five years from the date thereof, at the pleasure of the board, and this provision shall be expressed on the face of the bonds.
Said bonds shall bear no greater rate of interest than six
per centum per annum. And said interest shall be of interest: inpayable annually on the presentation of the interest annually; coupons attached to and issued with said bonds, at the Bank of Spencer, in Roane county, West Virginia.
3. Whenever said board may deem it desirable to Purpose, oto issue bonds under authority of this act, and for the pur- to be entered of poses herein set forth they shall by résolution, entered record. of record, so declare, specifying the particular purpose and amount for which said bonds are to be issued, and the rate of interest said bonds shall bear. Said resolution shall appoint a day at which an election shall be Election to be held, by the qualified voters of said independent school district, to decide whether they will ratify or reject said resolution.
Such resolution shall be published in all the newspa- given; how,
Notice to be
pers published in said district at least once a week for two succussive weeks previous to the day of the election.
Election: bow conducted, etc.
4. Such election shall be conducted and the returns thereof made in the manner required in the election of members of said board.
Statement to be 5. Together with said resolution there shall be pubpublished.
lished a full and accurate statement of the financial condition of the board as to both teachers' fund and building fund.
6. The person voting for the ratification of any such resolution shall have written or printed on his ballot the words "For ratitication of resolution to issue bonds," and the person voting against ratification shall have written or printed on his ballot the words “For rejection of resolution to issue bonds."
Bonds not to be sold for less than par and
Vote required. 7. No bonds shall be issued by the board unless the
l'esolution providing for their issuance shall have received three-fifths of all the votes cast for and against the same at the election herein provided for.
8. Neither the board nor any of the officers thereof
shall either directly or indirectly sell any bond at less for cash only, than the par value thereof, and then only for cash,
unless accepted as the equivalent of cash at par value by the contractor or creditor of said board, for the building and supplying and equipping school houses in said district as aforesaid.
The proceeds of the sale of any bonds issued under Proceeds to be this act, shall be paid to the sheriff of Roane county to and credited to the credit of the building fund of said district, and the
sheriff of said county shall be held and be liable for the proceeds thereof in the same manner and to the same extent as he is for money paid him to the credit of said fund.
building fund; sheriff liable therefor.
Board to provide a
9. The said board shall annually provide, by suffilevy to pay in- cient levy, for the payment of the annual interest accru
ing on said bonds, as well as for the establishment of a sinking fund, for the payment of the principal thereof within
and not exceeding thirty years. The sinking fund to be up fund shall only be applied to the purpose for which it
was levied, and for investment in the bonds of the board as the board may direct. And the said sheriff shall out of the said levy set aside and place to the credit of special fund, to be known as “School sinking fund of the independent school district of Spencer," such amount
nually to di
set aside so inuch money,
as the board may direct, by annual resolution; and it Board anshall be the duty of the said board, annually to direct rect sheriff to said sheriff so to set aside to the credit of said special fund, such amount as will be amply sufficient to create etc. and maintain said sinking fund, according to the true and full intent of this section, and of section eight of article ten of the constitution of this state.
10. No bonded debt shall be incurred under this act Limit of which shall cause the aggregate indebtedness of the said bonded üebt independent school district to exceed five per centum of the assessed value of taxable property of said district, as ascertained by the last assessment for state and county purposes, previous to the incurring of such debt. shall any such bonded debt be created under this chapter, for any sum in excess of ten thousand dollars principal.
(Approved February 17, 1895.)
[NOTE BY THE CLERK OF THE HOUSE OF DELEGATES. The foregoing act takes effect from its passage, twothirds of the members elected to each house, by a vote taken by yeas and nays, having so directed.]
(House Bill No. 277.)
AN ACT to repeal chapter seventy-five of the acts of
one thousand eight hundred and seventy-one, making provisions for free schools for the town of Volcano, in Wood county.
[Passed February 22, 1895. ]
Be it enacted by the Legislature of West Virginia:
1. The act approved February the thirteenth, one Act providing thousand eight hundred and seventy-one, entitled, "An the town of act to provide free schools for the town of Volcano,” is Volcano re
pealed. hereby repealed.
2. The property, real and personal, vested at the In whom the time this act takes effect in the board of education of vest.
Obligations heretofore created not impaired.
Volcano, shall by this act vest in the board of education for the school district of Walker, in Wood county: Provided, That this act shall not be construed as impairing any obligation heretofore created or existing of any indebtedness.of the said board of education of Volcano.
(Approved February 22, 1895.)
[NOTE BY THE CLERK OF THE HOUSE OF DELEGATES. The foregoing act takes effect at the expiration of ninety days after its passage.]
(House Bill No. 61.)
AN ACT providing for the establishment of “The In
dependent School District of Bridgeport.”
[Passed February 11, 1895.)
Be it enacted by the Legislature of West Virginia :
Independent school district
1. That in the event a majority of the votes cast at of Bridgeport the election hereafter provided for, be in favor thereof, created; boun- the following described territory in the county of Har
rison, including the town of Bridgeport, shall, after the result of such election is ascertained and declared, be an independent school district, and be known as the Independent School District of Bridgeport, and the territory adjacent, bounded and described as follows :
Beginning at a corner of C. N. Johnson's land and what is known as the Morgan Ross land, on road leading from Bridgeport by Geo. Faris's house; thence, running with line of said Johnson and Ross land, to line of J. B. Sandusky; thence, with line of said Sandusky and Ross land, to corner of said Sandusky, Ross and Geo. T. Faris ; thence, with line of said Sandusky and Faris, to line of Kelso Pell; thence, with line of said Sandusky and Pell, to the Baltimore and Ohio railroad ; thence, east on said Baltimore and Ohio railroad, to mile-post ; thence, with a direct line through lands of J. B. Sandusky and Kelso Pell, to corner of said Sandusky and J. F. Stuck, on line of Kelso Pell's land ; thence, with a direct line, through lands of said Stuck, to corner of lands belonging to Geo. W. Preston and Nancy Hawk