« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
5. A fruit dealer sold crates of blackberries containing 16 quart boxes at $3.20 per crate. Single boxes sold at 25 cents each. How much more would a peck cost when bought by the box than by the crate?
6. A bin is 12 feet long, 8 feet wide and 6 feet high. How many bushels of grain will it hold?
7. How many pint boxes will a bushel of berries fill?
8. If berries are selling at 2 qt. boxes for 45 cents, how much is the cost per peck?
9. A grocer bought 40 bushels of potatoes at 80 cents per bushel and sold them to his customers at 25 cents per peck. How •much did he make per peck? How much was his profit on the entire amount at that rate?
10. A farmer bought 30 bushels of oats and fed his three horses 2 quarts each, twice a day. How many days will the 30 bushels of oats last at that rate?
11. A bushel of wheat weighs 60 pounds. Find the weight of a load of 24 sacks containing 2 bushels each.
12. How much profit is made by buying onion sets at $3.20 per bushel and retailing them at 15 cents a quart?
13. How much profit is made per bushel by buying potatoes at 90 cents a bushel and selling them at 30 cents a peck?
14. A fruit peddler buys cherries for $3.20 a bushel and retails them to his customers at 20 cents a quart. What is his profit on each quart?
Most of the states have passed laws stating the number of pounds in a bushel of each of the different products sold by dry measure. Since most stores now sell these products by weight, we should know the legal weights for each of them in our own state.
Legal Weights of a Bushel, in Pounds, for Various Products
60 Kentucky. 60 Louisiana 60 Maine..
60 Maryland.. Massachusetts 60 Michigan 60 Minnesota 60 Mississippi... 60 Missouri.
60 Montana. 60 Nebraska 60 Nevada...... N.Hampshire.. 60 New Jersey.....
60 New Mexico... Vew York.. 60 North Carolina 60 North Dakota 60 Ohio.
60 Oklahoma. 60 Oregon
60 Pennsylvania .. 60 Rhode Island.. 60 South Carolina South Dakota.. 60 Tennessee....
56 56 56 56 56
48 52 42 52 50
48 48 48 48 48
32 32 32
56 56 56 56
This reference table should be used in connection with the problems on the next page. Every pupil should become familiar with the legal weights of a bushel in his own state.
1. What is the weight of a bushel of potatoes in How many pounds should you receive for a peck?
2. A bushel of apples weighs how many pounds in your state?
3. A truck farmer sold 2592 pounds of onions in Michigan at 90 cents a bushel. How much did he receive for them?
4. How much would the farmer have received for the same weight of onions in Indiana at 85 cents per bushel?
5. Find the weights of a bushel of the following products in your state: Rye, buckwheat, oats, barley, sweet potatoes, beans, peas and flaxseed.
6. What is the legal weight of a bushel of shelled corn in Massachusetts? How much does a bushel of shelled corn weigh in the other states?
7. A bushel of corn on the cob is usually considered to weigh 70 pounds. Find the weight of the cobs in a bushel of corn on the cob
8. A wholesale dealer bought a carload of sweet potatoes in New Jersey at $1.35 per bushel. Find the cost per pound.
9. If he sold them in Cleveland, Ohio, at $1.50 a bushel, what was his increase in the price per pound on the sweet potatoes? (See the table on page 216).
10. In measuring corn on the ear in cribs, 4000 cubic inches are usually considered a bushel. How many bushels are there in a crib 8 feet long, 8 feet wide and 9 feet high?
11. I bought a peck of apples from a peddler. He used a peck measure in measuring them. I weighed the apples and found that they weighed only 9 pounds. In your state, how much would that amount have been below the standard weight per peck?
Exercise 5. Counting What articles are sold by the dozen? Name other articles that are sold by the gross.
12 things=1 dozen
1. How many things are there in a gross?
2. A case of eggs holds 360 eggs. How many dozen eggs are there in a case?
3. Oranges are quoted in a certain fruit store at 39 cents per dozen. How much should the dealer charge you at that rate for a half-dozen? For 3 oranges?
4. Screws are quoted at 35 cents per gross. The dealer charges 5 cents per dozen. How much does a manual training teacher save on a gross by buying by the gross than by the dozen?
5. Why must a dealer charge a higher rate in selling in small quantities than in large quantities?
6. How much does a grocer receive for a crate of eggs at 38 cents per dozen?
7. If bananas are selling at 30 cents per dozen, how many should I receive for 10 cents?
8. Lead pencils are quoted at $3.60 per gross. How much profit is made on a gross by selling them at 5 cents each?
9. A grocer paid his customers 36 cents per dozen for eggs He sold them at $12.00 per case. What was his profit on each case of eggs, deducting 20 cents for the cost of the case and the fillers?
10. A school supply store buys pens at 75 cents per gross The retail price of these pens is 6 for 5 cents. Find the gain on a gross of these pens.
Exercise 6. Paper Measure Writing paper is usually cut into sheets which are sold by the ream or by the pound. In counting paper the following table is used:
24 sheets=1 quirel
20 quires=1 ream 1. How many sheets of paper are there in a ream? In order to provide extra sheets to allow for waste in printing, 500 sheets are now usually considered as a ream. How many sheets per hundred are allowed for waste?
2. How many sheets are there in ream?
3. If paper costs $1.25 a ream, how much is the cost of each sheet? At that rate how many sheets can be bought for a dime?
4. A certain grade of paper weighs 6 pounds per ream. How many sheets would one receive in buying 1 pound of this paper?
5. How many sheets of paper are there in a pound if a ream weighs 4 pounds?
6. Which is cheaper, 24-sheets of typewriter paper weighing 5 pounds per ream at the rate of 2 sheets for 1 cent, or pound of this paper for 10 cents?
7. How many sheets of paper are there in 5 quires; in i quire; in 8 quires?
8. Why is paper now usually sold by the pound rather than by counting the sheets?
9. A certain grade of paper weighs 5 pounds to the ream. What is the weight of a quire of that paper? How much does each sheet weigh?
1The term quire is now used mainly in selling foolscap paper which is put up in folded sheets.