« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
1. How many hours is it from midnight on Tuesday to midnight on Wednesday?
2. At what time does the new day begin?
3. How many times in a day does the hour hand pass around the face of the clock?
4. What part of an hour are 10 minutes ? 45 min. ? 5. What part of a minute are 15 seconds ? 30 sec. ? 6. What do you mean by A.M. ? by P.M.? by M. ? 7. Read the time on each of the clocks in the picture.
8. A man leaves home at 6:30 A.M. and returns at 5:45 P.M. How long is he away from home ?
9. A train leaves the station at 11:10. It requires 25 minutes to reach the station. At what time must one leave home in order to catch this train?
10. Harry leaves for school at 8:30, and reaches school at 3 minutes before 9 o'clock. How long is he on the way?
11. The morning session of school begins at 9 A.M. and closes at 11:30 A.M. The afternoon session begins at 1 P.M. and closes at 3:45 P.M. How long are both sessions ?
12. How many months have 31 days each? 30 days each? 28 days? When has February 29 days?
Written Work Change: 1. 3 hr. 6 min. to seconds. 5. 12 wk. 6 da. to hours. 2. 144,000 sec. to days.
6. 336 hr. to weeks. 3. 5 da. 3 hr. to minutes. 7. 5760 min. to days. 4. 108 mo. to days.
8. 30 days to seconds. 9. If the school is in session 52 hours, how many seconds is it in session?
10. At $1] a day, how much will a boy earn in 2 weeks?
11. If a motorman receives 20 4 an hour, what is his pay for 6 days of 9 hours each?
12. A clerk pays $4.50 a week for board. How much will board for 3 months cost him?
13. At the rate of $i a day, how much can a boy earn during the month of February?
The teacher should bring into the class a yard stick and a 50-foot measuring line. Each pupil, should be provided with a 12-inch ruler, with inches and half inches clearly marked.
12 inches (in.) =1 foot (ft.)
= 1 yard (yd.)
=1 rod (rd.)
= 1 mile (mi.)
1. Measure the length of a book; of a desk; of a table.
2. Measure the yard stick with the ruler. feet equal a yard? A foot is what part of a yard ?
3. With the measuring line mark off 161 ft., or 1 rod, on . the blackboard.
4. How many yards are there in 16) ft.? in 320 rd. ?
There are 12 dozen in a gross.
2. A stationer bought 12 quires of paper for $1.20 and sold it at a cent a sheet. How much did he gain?
3. Find the cost of 40 lemons at 15 ¢ a dozen.
1. A bicycle wheel is 7 feet 4 inches in circumference. How many turns will it make in going 6 miles ?
2. How much will 3) bushels of plums cost at 9 ¢ a quart?
3. How much fence will be needed to inclose a square field, each side of which is 22 rods?
4. If 9 boxes weigh 27 pounds, how much will 36 boxes weigh? How much will 3 boxes weigh ?
5. George has a can of milk containing 10 gallons. If he sells 10 quarts to his first customer, 4 quarts to the second customer, 3 gallons to the third customer, and 2 gallons 1 pint to the fourth, how much has he left in the can?
6. How much are 52 miles of telegraph wire worth at $ 0.005 a foot ?
7. Our grocer found that 9 hams weighed 827 pounds. What was the average weight of each ham ?
8. How much must be paid for 15 gross of lead pencils at 35¢ a dozen ?
9. Walter picked 41 bushels of blackberries and sold them to a grocer for 6¢ a quart. He took in exchange eggs at 24¢ a dozen. How many dozen did he receive ?
10. A butcher sold 304 pounds of lard at $0.12 a pound, and used the money for flour worth $0.03 per pound. How much flour did he receive ?
11. 500 bushels of peaches were packed in baskets, each holding 2 pecks. How many baskets were needed ?
12. 20 hundredweight of starch was packed into boxes, each containing 5 pounds. How much was received, if each box was sold for 6ļ ¢ ?
13. Count the change from a five-dollar bill for 8 pounds of steak at 18¢ a pound, 3 cans of tomatoes at 18¢ a dozen, and 2 gallons of gasoline at 15¢ a gallon.
14. What is my January milk bill, if I use 5 pints every day, at 8¢ a quart?
15. If of a ton of coal costs $ 3.75, how much will 31 tons cost?
16. How many pint cans can be filled from 26 gallons of tomato soup?
17. The Bell Telephone Co. charges me $40 a year for 600 calls. How much is that per month ? how much for each of the calls ? 18. Find the amount of the following sales :
1 dozen boxes of cocoa at 15 ¢ a box,
114 pounds turkey at 22 ¢ a pound. 19. Five girls weigh 75 pounds, 86 pounds, 93 pounds, 69 pounds, and 72 pounds respectively. What is their average weight ? 20. There are 20 quires in a ream.
At $1.20 a ream,
find the cost of 3 reams, 3 quires of paper.
21. How old is a man who is threescore years and ten ?
22. The Adams Coal Company sold 8 loads of coal as follows: 2470 lb., 3680 lb., 1974 lb., 2985 lb., 1741 lb., 3164 lb., 3749 lb., and 4278 lb. Find the number of tons, hundredweight, and pounds sold.