« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
7. How many 1-in. cubes are necessary to make a rectangular solid 12 in. long, 8 in. wide, and 4 in. high?
8. A box is 4 ft. long, 2 ft. wide, and 2 ft. high. Find the number of square feet in its six surfaces.
9. Find the number of cubic inches in the box. 10. A bin for grain is 12 ft. long, 8 ft. wide, and 5 ft. deep. Find the number of cubic feet in it.
11. If there are 2150.42 cu. in. in a bushel of wheat, find the number of bushels of wheat the bin will hold.
12. A water tank is 8 ft. long, 4 ft. wide, and 3 ft. deep. If a cubic foot of water weighs 621 lb., find the weight of the water when the tank is full.
13. A stone wall is 40 ft. long, 4 ft. high, and 2 ft. thick. Find the number of cubic feet of stone in it.
14. Measure the dimensions of your schoolroom and find the number of cubic feet of air in it.
lin. 15. A rectangular solid is 1 ft. square and 4 ft. long. Find the surface of its six faces.
16. Cut from cardboard a surface as shown in the drawing. Fold along the dotted lines into a box; find the surface of the six faces and the contents of the box in cubic inches.
17. Measure the walls and ceiling of your schoolroom and find the cost of plastering them at 27 cents per square yard.
18. Cut from cardboard a diagram to show a rectangular box 18 in. long, 12 in. wide, and 8 in. deep.
19. Find the number of cubic inches in the box.
20. Measure the surface of your schoolroom floor, and find the cost of oiling it at 12 cents per square yard,
21. What is the difference in cubic feet between 9 cubic feet and a cube 3 feet on an edge ?
TO THE TEACHER. — Get, if possible, 144 cubical blocks 1 inch on an edge.
22. Build a cube 3 blocks on an edge. How many cubic inches are there in the cube?
23. Build a cube 4 blocks on an edge. How many cubic inches are there in the cube?
24. Build a cube 2 blocks on an edge. How many cubic inches are there in the cube? 25. The cube 4 blocks on an edge is how many times the
cube 2 blocks on an edge ? '3 in.
26. Build a rectangular solid as shown in the figure. How many cubic inches are there in the solid ?
27. Show that the solid in problem 24 has 6 rectangular surfaces. Find
the surface of each rectangle. 28. Build a cube 5 inches on an edge. How many more than 100 cubes are needed ?
29. Find the cost, at 30 cents a cart load (1 cubic yard), for excavating the ground for a cellar 30 ft. in length, 20 ft. in width, and 4 ft. in depth.
30. A laborer digs a ditch 100 ft. long, 18 in. wide, and 21 ft. deep in 1 day. Find the number of cart loads of earth removed, and the cost at 30 cents a load.
1. A clerk bought a gross of penholders for 80 cents and sold them at 2 cents each. How much did he gain ?
2. I paid $3.65 for groceries, $1.75 for dry goods, and 87 cents for sundries. What was the cost of all ?
3. Write one hundred two thousand, seven hundred.
4. Find the cost of 30 gross of writing tablets at 37} cents a dozen.
5. If 111 is subtracted from a certain number 11 will remain. What is the number?
6. A merchant pays 62$ a yard for muslin and sells it for 71% a yard. What is his gain on 24 yards ?
7. I can make 3 aprons in 6 hours. How many aprons can I make in 12 hours ?
8. Write in words 4006.015.
9. A man bought of a farm containing 300 acres and sold .25 of his share. How many acres had he left ?
10. If 8 loads of hay cost $80, what is the cost of 24 loads ? 11. Change 12 gallons, 2 quarts, 1 pint, to pints.
12. Robert rides 14.75 miles north on his pony, and his brother James rides 20.25 miles south. How far apart are they at the end of the ride?
13. At Horne's sale a customer bought three remnants of silk, containing respectively 161 yd., 12 yd., and 91 yd. How many yards of silk did the customer buy?
14. There are 5280 feet in a mile. How many feet is it from Albany to New York, a distance of 143 miles ?
15.6 is of what number?
16. At $50 a month rent, what is the income to the owner on 24 houses for 12 months ?
17. At 95 cents per square yard, how much will it cost to cement the floor of a cellar 10 yards long and 6 yards wide ?
18. Find the cost of 144 lb. of raisins at 84¢ a pound.
4 bu. 3 pk. 2 qt.
20. Mrs. Black received $2 a yard for broadcloth. She sold 325 yards. How much did she receive ?
21. Explain why it is wrong to say $2 times 325 yards.
22. How many feet of picture molding will be required for a room 12 ft. long and 8 ft. wide ? At 64¢ a foot, how much will it cost?
23. Change , ž, and to 24ths.
27. Change 8 square rods to a fraction of an acre; to a decimal of an acre.
28. Each of 8 boxes holds 5 pounds 4 ounces of meal. How much do all the boxes contain ?
29. What is the cost of 8 barrels of vinegar, averaging 41 gallons 3 quarts per barrel, at 18¢ a gallon ?
30. In a warehouse there are 15 pillars 2 ft. by 18 in., and 20 ft. high. How many cubic feet are there in the pillars ?
31. How much will it cost, at 27¢ a square yard, to paint a floor that is 18 ft. long and 16 ft. wide ?
32. In the first column find the number of yards; in the second, the number of gallons; and in the third, the number of bushels.
33. Charles spent at a sale 5 half dollars, 6 quarters, 3 dimes; 4 nickels, and 3 pennies. How much did he spend in all ?
34. A motorman worked 8f hours one day, and 101 hours another day. At 24¢ an hour, how much did he receive for the two days' work?
35. If 12 T. of hay.cost $144, how much will 24 T. cost ?
36. How many pounds of sugar, at $0.06 a pound, can be exchanged for 9 pounds of butter at $0.32 a pound, and 12 dozen eggs at $0.18 a dozen ?
37. William works 6 hours on each of 36 Saturdays. Find the amount earned at 124
hour. 38. If two men can do a piece of work in 8 days, how many men will be required to do the same work in 4 days ?
39. If it takes 164 yards to make a dress, how many yards will it take to make 12 dresses ?
40. How much will 128 clocks cost if 8 clocks cost $104 ?
41. A lady sold some butter at $0.32 a pound and with the sum received bought 16 yards of cloth at 90 ¢ a yard, 4 hats at $3 each, 4 ties at 24¢ each, and 4 pairs of gloves at 55$ each. How many pounds of butter did she sell ?