« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
2. Show that this board contains 4 board feet.
3. How many board feet are there in a sill 4 ft. long, 1 ft. wide, and 4 in. thick? Observe:
4ft. (1) That the sill is equal to 4 boards 4 ft. long, 1 ft. wide, and 1 in. thick. (2) That each board contains 4 board feet.
4 x 4 x 1 board foot = 16 board feet. The number of board feet in a piece of lumber equals the number of square feet in one surface multiplied by the thickness in inches.
Find the number of board feet in the following: 4. A plank 12 ft. long, 12 in. wide, and 2 in. thick. 5. A board 12 ft. long, 9 in. wide, and 1 in. thick. 6. A plank 15 ft. long, 12 in. wide, and 3 in. thick. 7. A plank 16 ft. long, 18 in. wide, and 2 in. thick. 8. A sill 20 ft. long, 10 in. wide, and 6 in. thick. 9. A sill 30 ft. long and 12 in. square. Buying and selling lumber. Lumber is usually sold at so much per 1000 (M.) board feet. Find the cost of: 1. 5000 ft. poplar at $ 40 per M. 2. 500 ft. hemlock at $ 24 per M. 3. 10,850 ft. Georgia pine at $ 24 per 4. 8000 ft. white pine at $ 50 per M.
Small bills of lumber are usually estimated at so much per board foot.
5. Show that lumber at $40 per M. = $.04 per board foot; at $27 per.M. = $.027 per board foot.
6. Make out a receipted bill to Henry James for the following: 365 ft. hemlock at $ 25 per M., 780 ft. white pine at $40 per M., 980 ft. yellow pine at $ 29 per M.
The dimensions 10 ft. by 6 in. by 10 in. are commonly written 10' x 6" x 10".
Estimate the cost of the following at $28 per M.: 7. 4 sills 4" x 8" x 24' 11. 60 joists 3'' x 8" x 20' 8. 6 girders 6" x 10" x 16' 12. 90 studding 2" x 6" x 16' 9.2 posts 6" x 9" x 10' 13. 90 planks 2" x 10" X 14' 10. 8 beams 3" x 8" x 20' 14. 60 rafters 2" x 4" x 24'
15. Observe the dimensions of the school building. What is the height of the sides of the building ?
16. Find the number of board feet of siding needed for the sides and the two ends of the same height as the sides, making no allow
ance for openings. -28ft:-
17. The triangular parts
at the top of the house, in front and in back, are called gables. Each gable can be divided by a line through the center of its base into two right triangles. How many board feet of siding are necessary for the two gables ?
18. Find the cost of painting the siding at 10 cents per square yard.
A pile of wood, of 4-foot sticks, 8 ft. in length and 4 ft. in height, is called a cord of wood.
4 x 4 x 8 x 1 cu. ft. = 128 cu. ft. = 1 cord of wood. 1. How many cords are there in a pile of 4-foot wood, 160 feet long and 4 feet high?
2. Two men cut several piles of 4-foot wood that measure in all 640 feet in length and 4 feet in height. How many cords do they cut and how much do they receive for the work at $5.50 per cord ?
Wood is frequently cut for house purposes into short, lengths from 16 inches to 2 feet. The price of such a cord varies according to the length of the sticks.
A cord of short wood is measured by multiplying the length in feet by the height in feet and dividing the product by 32.
3. At a school building there is a pile of 16-inch wood 80 ft. long and 4 ft. high. Find its cost at $1.50 per cord.
4. Two men cut 4 cords of 2-foot wood each day for 16 days. Find the cost of the cutting at 70 cents per cord.
5. One side of a pile of 2-foot wood contains 400 square feet. Find the number of cords it contains.
REVIEW OF PRACTICAL MEASUREMENTS
1. How many tiles 12 in. square will be required to lay a floor 36 ft. by 15 ft. ?
2. What is the length of a board walk that is 4 ft. 8 in. wide and contains 1350 sq. ft. ?
3. How many cubic yards of earth must be removed in digging a cellar 36 ft. long, 26 ft. wide, and 8 ft. deep ?
4. Find the cost of covering the floor of a hall 45 ft. long and 30 ft. wide with matting, a yard wide, at 70 cents a yard.
5. How many times will the wheel of an engine 9 ft. in circumference turn in going 3000 miles ?
6. Find the cost of 30 boards 16 ft. long, 12 in. wide, and 1 in. thick, at 5¢ a board foot.
7. At $.80 a bushel what is the value of a bin of wheat 16 ft. long, 8 ft. wide, and 4 ft. deep?
8. What is the number of gallons in a tank 12 ft. long, 10 ft. wide, and 8 ft. deep?
9. How much will it cost to cement the floor of a cellar 50 ft. long and 28 ft. wide, at $1.08 a square yard ?
10. At 74 a square yard, how much will it cost to paint the four sides of a building 50 ft. long, 20 ft. wide, and 15 ft. high? 11. My farm is in the form of a rectangle, and contains 40
What is its width, if its length is 128 rods ? 12. What will be the cost of plastering the ceiling of a room 22 ft. by 18 ft. at 11 ¢ a square yard ?
13. A rectangular field contains 5 acres. If its length is 80 rods, what is its width ?
14. How many cakes of soap 4 in. by 3 in. by 2 in. can be packed in a box whose inside dimensions are 2 ft., 3 ft., and 4 ft. ?
15. Find the cost of digging a cellar 42 ft. long, 30 ft. wide, and 6 ft. 3 in. deep, at 40 cents a cubic yard.
16. How much flooring 1 inch thick will be required to lay the first floor of a house 22 ft. by 36 ft., no allowance being made for waste, and how much will it cost at $30
17. The length of a field is 80 rods, and its width is 30 rods. How many acres are there in the field ?
18. What is the number of bushels in a bin 20 ft. long, 16 ft. wide, and 8 ft. deep ?
19. A tank 9 ft. square and 8 ft. deep contains how many gallons ?
20. A building lot 100 foot front contains 15,000 sq. ft. What is its depth?
21. A baseball ground 160 yd. by 170 yd. has a tight board fence around it 8 ft. high. How much will the painting of the outside of the fence cost at 54 cents a square yard ?
22. The area of a right triangle is 560 sq. ft., and its altitude is 28 ft. What is the base of the triangle ?
23. How much will it cost to excavate a street 800 ft. long and 50 ft. wide, to a depth of 18 in., at 36 cents a load ?
24. A plot of ground in the form of a square is 100 ft. on each side. A straight walk 8 ft. wide divides it into 2 equal parts — a lawn for flowers and a garden for vegetables. In the lawn there is a flower bed 5 ft. by 8 ft. Draw the plot.