« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
REVIEW OF PERCENTAGE AND INTEREST
26. A grocer buys goods to the amount of $ 1200, 10% off for cash. He sells them for $1500 cash. How much does he gain?
27. A mother took two boys and a girl to a store to buy clothes. The first boy's suit cost $10 less 10% for cash. The second boy's suit cost 663 % of the cash sale of the first boy's suit. The girl's coat cost 331 % of the money paid for both boys' suits. How much did the mother pay for the children's clothes ?
28. Find 25% of 200, and divide the result by .001
29. A farmer sold 425 sheep, which were 34% of all he had. How many sheep did he have ?
30. A man buys a house and lot for $5000. It costs every year $25 for repairs and $50 for taxes and insurance. He rents the house for 8% of its cost. How much has he left after paying expenses ?
31. A coal dealer bought 300 tons of coal for $600. The freight, storage, and delivery cost 331% of the cost of the coal.
What was the retail price per ton if he sold it at a gain of 121% ?
32. If 40% of a man's interest in a store is valued at $ 14,000, what is his interest?
33. A real estate agent purchased a house for $1250. For how much per month must he rent the house to make 6% after paying each year $18 for taxes and insurance and $ 15 for repairs ?
34. A merchant has invested in his building and store $6000. After paying all the expenses he finds he has cleared for the year $1200. What per cent does he make on the cost of the building and store ?
HAM. INT. ARITH,
RECEIPTS AND CHECKS
John Watson pays James Adams $35.50 for work for one month, and asks Mr. Adams for a receipt. Fill out this receipt to show that the money was paid by Mr. Watson and received by Mr. Adams.
Rochester, N. r., fune 1, 1907.
1. What must every receipt show? (see p. 99).
payment of $18.50 on account by your father or mother.
3. Your school district pays the National Book Company, New York, $ 25.75 for school books on Sept. 15, 1907. Make out the receipt of the National Book Company.
4. Henry Smith received $ 3.65 from James Brown for 3 months' water rent. Make out a receipt for the amount.
5. Ralph Taylor pays H. W. Henderson $5 for a month's tuition.
Write the receipt Ralph Taylor should receive.
6. Write a receipt for $ 75 which Nelson Page paid Edgar Poe for balance due on a buggy.
7. Make out and receipt the bill for the following articles bought by James Thomas from Jos. Horne & Co. : 3 shirts @ $ 1.75
2 neckties @ $.75 6 collars @
4 pairs cuffs @ 20 8. Presuming that you are a collector for the GazetteTimes, Pittsburg, Pa., make out a receipt to a subscriber who has paid you $ 2.60 in full of account.
A check is an order on a bank where a person keeps a deposit, ordering the bank to pay money.
Seattle, Wash., fan. 10, 1907. The Yukon National Bank of Seattle. Pay to the order of James Ward $6700 Sixty-veven now Dollars.
W. %. Moore.
fan. 10,'07 To fames Ward
Study of Check 1. Name the different things stated in this check.
2. Observe that this check is payable to the order of James Ward. He orders it paid by writing his name across the back of it. This is called indorsing the check.
3. Write the check your father would give your teacher in payment of $3.50 for September tuition.
4. Emil Smith borrows from Joseph McLean $240 to attend school and pays the same in 2 yr. 4 mo. 18 da. at 6%. Write the amount of the check that would pay the note.
1. The remainder is 92,568 and the minuend is 202,660. Find the subtrahend.
2. The dividend is 364,450 and the quotient is 9850. What is the divisor ?
3. Add 3.5, .035, 45.006, and 2.06.
4. Write decimally twenty-five and sixty-one thousandths; one hundred twenty-five and five tenths; and three hundred and two ten-thousandths.
5. What number multiplied by one hundred seventynine is equal to 848,818 ?
6. From 2.0011 take 1.9892. 7. Explain the difference between 1% and . 8. Add 1, 24, 5, 3d, and 45. 9. Find 1%, }, }%, zd, 25%, 50%, and 1 of 100. 10. The multiplicand is 1325 and the multiplier is .0416. What is the product?
11. If 38 dozen eggs cost $11.96, what is the cost per dozen ?
12. A building is 46 ft. 3 in. wide, and twice as long as wide. Find the distance around the building.
13. From 86 miles and 3 inches, take 46 miles and 8 inches.
14. A man and his son together earn $72 per month. If the man's earnings in 6 months amount to $300, how much are the son's earnings in the same length of time ?
15. A man bought 48 head of cattle, at $36 per head, and sold them at a gain of 25%. What was the total amount received for the cattle ?
16. Find the interest on $370.50 for 4 yr. 8 mo. at 6%. 17. Divide 484 by 214. 18. Divide .65 by 6.5. 19. Reduce 187} rods to the fraction of a mile.
20. How much will it cost to ship a car load of wheat containing 42,000 lb. from Fargo, N.D., to Chicago, Ill., if the freight rate is $.06 per bushel ?
21. A train leaves Chicago at 8:15 A.M., and arrives at Pittsburg at 8:20 P.M. The distance is 468 miles. Find the number of miles per hour the train travels.
22. The steel rails on the Bessemer railroad weigh 100 pounds to the foot. Find the number of tons necessary to lay 5 rods of single track.
23. How much does an architect receive, at 41 %, for the plans of a house that cost $8350 ?
24. A man's salary is $150 per month. He spends 40% of it for clothing and other expenses.
How much does he save in a year?
25. A man purchases 80 acres of land at $6400, and sells them at 25% gain. How much does he receive per acre?
26. A real estate man buys a house for $2800 and sells it for $3200. What is his gain per cent?
27. What is the cost of a house on which 25% is gained when it is sold at a profit of $2500 ?