« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
28. A town lot is 43 ft. 3 in. wide and 120 ft. deep. How much is it worth at 75 ¢ per square foot ?
29. A western farmer harvests 8960 bu. wheat from a field 320 rd. long and 160 rd. wide. If he sells the wheat at 60¢ per bushel, how much does he realize from each acre?
30. In 1 hour 20 minutes and 40 seconds, a train travels 60 miles. At that rate how long would the train be in traveling 1200 miles ?
31. The average wages of a steel mill employing 3000 men are $2.50 per day. If a 10% reduction in wages is made, how much per day will the company's pay roll be reduced ?
32. In a certain class the salary of the teacher for a year is $500. The books and supplies cost $90.65; fuel, $40 ; repairs and other expenses, $75.30. There are 35 pupils in the class. Find the average cost per pupil for the year.
33. Reduce to improper fractions: 6.25; 3.375; 4.663 ; and 2.05.
34. If it costs $72 to carpet a room 18 ft. long and 18 ft. wide, how much will it cost to carpet a room 36 ft. long and 36 ft. wide, with the same quality of carpet?
35. Mt. Rainier is 14,363 ft. high. Reduce the height to miles and the fractions of a mile.
36. How many cubic inches are there in a bin 9 ft. 7 in. long by 8 ft. 3 in. wide and 4 ft. 9 in. deep? how many cubic feet?
37. A grocer bought 225 bu. apples at $.50 per bushel. . He sold 150 bu. at $.75 per bushel. The remainder, which were damaged, he sold at $.40 per bushel. Did he gain or lose and what per cent?
38. What is 331% of 24? of $4.80? of $62.50?
39. A piece of land 30 rods wide and 480 rods long was sold at $62.50 per acre.
Find the amount of the sale. 40. Time, 3 months; rate of interest, 5%; money borrowed, $100. Find amount to be paid.
41. If şof a bushel of potatoes cost $.40, how much will 71 bu. cost?
42. A piece of land 40 rods long in the form of a rectangle contains 5 acres. Find its width in rods.
43. A farmer sold 123 acres of land at $55per acre. How much did he receive for the land?
44. Houser Brothers sold the following bill of goods to William Pool:
@ $.071 2 pair boots
@ $3.50 1 overcoat
@ $13.50 1 pair shoes
12 lb. sugar
11 lb. prunes
Mr. Pool at the same time sold Houser Brothers :
85 bu. potatoes
@ $.24 @ $.28
Houser Brothers gave Mr. Pool the balance in cash. Make out the account.
45. A painter worked 171 days. After spending of his wages for board he had $15 left.
Find his daily wages.
46. I owe Frank Morrison, the grocer, $32.50 and pay him $23.75. Write the receipt that Mr. Morrison should give
NOTE. — When a debt is not paid in full, the receipt should read “On account.”
47. A cellar 24 ft. by 32 ft. is to be excavated to an average depth of 5) ft. Find the number of cubic yards to be removed.
48. Express 22; yards as rods, feet, and inches.
49. The width of a rectangle is 20 rods and the area is 560 square rods. Find the length.
50. What is the difference between a square and a rectangle?
51. Give the rule for finding percentage. On what is gain or loss always reckoned ?
52. A man's farm and personal property cost $5600. The first year he cleared 121 % of the money invested. The second year, on account of floods, he lost 5% of the cost of the property. How much was his gain in the two years?
53. Of a bill of $155 sent to a collector, 80% was collected and the collector retained $12.40. What per cent did he charge for collecting ?
54. A boy receives $1.20 per day and a man $2.50 per day. How long will it take the boy to earn as much as the man can earn in 30 days?
55. The perimeter of a rectangle is 72 rods. The width is 12 rods. Find the length.
56. Estimating that 300 cu. ft. of air is required for each pupil, how many pupils, including the teacher, should occupy a room 40 ft. long, 30 ft. wide, and 12 ft. high?
57. Divide one thousand and one thousandth by one thousand one thousandths.
58. What is the interest on $375 for 270 days at 6 %? 59. Reduce of a mile to lower denominations.
60. A boy deposited half of his money in the savings bank; 1 of the remainder he spent for clothes; and he had $3 remaining. How much had he at first ?
61. Reduce .025 cwt. to lower denominations.
62. A man bought two city lots costing him $3500 and $4100 respectively. He sold them at a gain of 25%. What was the gain in dollars ?
63. How many gallons of water will a tank contain that is 11 ft. long, 31 ft. wide, and 4 ft. deep ?
64. A barn floor is 20 ft. wide and 45 ft. long. How much will it cost to cover it with plank 2 inches thick at $20 per thousand board feet?
65. Divided by g of s.
66. John and James have together 165 acres of land, but James has twice as many acres as John. How many acres has each ?
SUGGESTION. — 165 acres = twice John's + once John's or 3 times John's.
67. What fractional part of a day are 10 hours, 50 minutes, 40 seconds?
68. Divide nine ten thousandths by one hundred twentyfive thousandths.
69. What is the interest on $180 for 4 yr. 8 mo. at 51 %?
70. I made $1.95 by selling 15 dozen eggs at $.31 per dozen. What was the cost of the eggs per
71. What is the gain per cent on flour that cost $4.50 per barrel if sold at $5
barrel ? 72. A father divided his farm of 202 A. 16 sq. rd. equally among his four sons. How many acres did each receive ?
73. .21 of a mile is equal to how many feet ?
74. An automobile that cost $2675 was sold at a loss of 28%. For how much was it sold ?
75. What is the cost of 18 plank 20 ft. long, 12 in. wide, and 2 in. thick, at $20 per M?
76. 1 of 7 is what part of 9 ?
rth $7500. What is 20% of the farm worth ?
78. What is the cost of a car load of bituminous coal weighing 84,000 pounds at $2.65 per ton ?
79. A farm in the form of a rectangle containing 120 acres is 60 rods wide. How long is it ?
80. Express decimally the quotient of = .35.
81. If 4 of a ton of hay is worth $12, how much are 33,000 pounds of hay worth ?
82. What is the value of a pile of 4-foot wood 48 ft. long and 6 ft. high, at $4.50 per cord ?
83. A dairyman owns a cow that averages 3 gal. 2 qt. 1 pt. of milk daily. If he sells the milk at $.06 per quart, how much will he realize from the cow during the month of May ?
84. I can buy an automobile at one store for $3000, with discounts of 25%, 10 %; or at another store for $3000 with only one discount of 35%. Which is the cheaper ?