« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
INSTITUTIONS AFFILIATED TO THE UNIVERSITY OF MADRAS. Church Mission Society's Native-English School, Palamcotta. Church Mission Society's College Cottayam. Church Mission Society's Institution, Cotta, near Colombo, Church Mission Society's Esigh School, Jaffna. Engineering College, Madras. Free Church Mission Institution, Madras. Government Normal School, Madras. High School, Bangalore. London Mission Institution, Madras London Mission Institution, Bangalore. Medical College, Presidency College, Provincial School and College, Kumbhakonam. Provincial School Bellary. Provincial School, Calicut. S. P. G. High School, Tanjore. Wesleyan Anglo-Vernacular Institution, Madras. Wesleyan Native Educational Institution, Bangalore, Wesleyan Central School, Jaffna.
THE GOVERNOR'S SCHOLARSHIP.
THIS INDENTURE is made the Twenty-third day of May one thousand eight handred and sixty-eight Between the Right Hon'ble Francia Napier Baron Napier, K.T., and Governor of Fort St. George of the one part, and The University of Madras of the other part. Whereas the said Francis Baron Napier, being desirous of promoting the advancea ment of sound learning and education amongst persons born in the City and Collectorate of Madras, hath determined, with the approba. tion of the said University of Madras, to institute a Scholarship ten. able for three years to be the subject of competition between students born as aforesaid who have Matriculated at the said University of Madras, and to be awarded and given ouder such regulations and according to such scheme as are hereinafter established and set forth ; and whereas for effectuating such desire and determinatiou the said Francis Baron Napier hath proposed to give and appropriate the sam of six thousand and five hundred Rupees to be applied in such manner as should be deemed most oonducive to the purposes aforesaid. And whereas it hath been agreed that the said sum of six thousand and five hundred Rupees should be invested in the name and ander the control of the said University of Madras in the manner hereinafter provided, and that the said University of Mádras should hold the said sum of six thousand ard five hundred Rupees together with all further sums which the said Francis Baron Napier may hereafter pay to the said University of Madras for the purposes herein provided for and the Securities wherein the game respectively shall from time to time be invested and the interest, dividends, and income thereof apon the trnst hereinafter declared and contained concerning the same res. pectively: And whereas in pursuance of the said agreement the said Francis Baron Napier hath this day paiä to the said University of Madras the sum of six thousand and five bandred Rapees; Now this INDENTURE witnegaeth that in further pursuance of the said agreement and for effectuating the said desire of the said Francis Baron Napier and in the consideration of the premises it is hereby agreed and declar. od that the said University of Madras shall with all convenient speed lay out and invest the said sum of six thousand and fiive hundred Rupees and also any further sums which may hereafter be paid to them by the said Francis Baron Napier in the name and under the legal control of the said University of Madras in any of t!:e public stocks, or funds or securities of the Government of India or in or upon freehold or leasehold or chattel real securities in the Presidency of Madras and may from time to time vary or transpose such stocks, funds, or securities into or for others of the same or & like nature, and shall from time to time receive the dividends and interest which shall accrue due on the said stocks, funds and securities and pay and apply the same interest and dividends as and for a Scholarship to be the subject of competition between students who have been born in the City and Collectorate of Madras at their Matriculation at the said University of Madras without any limitation of race, caste or creed and to be awarded and given under such regulations and according to such sheme as are hereinafter established and set forth: And this INDENTURE also witnesseth that for further effectuating the said desire of the said Francis Baron Napier and in consideration of the premises it is hereby agreed and declared as follows (that is to say)
I. The income arising from the fuuds for the time being subject to the trusts herein declared and contained shall be devoted to main. tain the Scholarship hereinafter named.
II. The Scholarship shall be called or known as the “Governor's Sctolarship.”
III. The Scholarship shall be awarded to the Candidate who at the usual Matriculation Examination shall have obtained the highest number of marks, provided that such number of marks shall not be less than two hundred and fifty, and provided also that in the event of the present scale of marks being at any time or times hereafter altered Bach number of marks shall not be less than three-fifths of the whole number of marks for the time being attainable.
IV. In the event of two or more Candidates at the said examination obtaining the same or an equal number of marks the said Scholar. ship shall be awarded to each one of the said two or more Candidates as shall be nominated and declared by the syndicate of the said Uni. versity of Madras to be the proper person entitled thereto.
V. The first Scholarship shall be awarded at the Matriculation Examination held in the month of December one thousand eight. hundred and sixty-eight.
VI. The Scholarship shall be tenable for three years subject to the following conditions :
1. The holder for the time being of the Scholarship shall forfeit the same if he fail to present himself for examination at the ex. amination for the grade of First Arts next ensuing after his Matri. culation and if he fail to obtain a position in the first class at the said examination.
2. After the examination for First Arts and between that period and the termination of the period of three years during which the Scholarship can be held one-third of the income of the funds for the time being subject to the trusts of these presents shall be kept in reserve and accumulated and shall only be paid over to the holder for the time being of the Scholarship in the event of his passing the examination for the degree of bachelor of Arts on the first occasion on which he is admissible to that examination.
3. If the holder for the time being of the said Scholarship fails to pass the examination for the degree of Bachelor of Arts within the earliest period at which he is adınissible to that degree then the ac. comulations of the one-third of the income of the said funds so held in reserve under the provisions of the last clause shall be added to the corpus of the said funds for the time being subject to the trusts of these presents and invested in manner hereinbefore provided.
4. It shall be lawful for the Syndicate of the said University of Madras to deciare that the holder of the Scholarship has forfeited it for any misconduct which they may consider a sufficient cause for ench forfeiture and there shall be no appeal from the decision of the Syndicate of the said University of Madras.
5. In the case of the death of any holder of the said Scholarship or in the event of the same being vacated or forfeited by the holder thereof from any cause whatever then and in any such case the Schorlarship shall be awarded to and held by the person who in accordance with the provisions herein contained shall become entitled to the same at the next or a succeeding Matriculation Examination.
VII. Provided always and it is hereby agreed and declared that it shall be lawful for the Senate of the said University of Madras at the expiration of six years from the date of these presents and also at the expiration of every succeeding six years to make any new regulation with respect so the said Scholarship and the terms and duration upon and for which the same may be held or the mode and subjects of the examinations for the same either instead of the regulations herein contained or in addition thereto and such regulations when so made shall be of the same force and effect as if they had been inserted in these presents and the regulations herein con. tained (if any) instead of which they shall be made had been omitted from these presents.
Provided nevertheless that the said Senate of the said University of Madras shall have no power to divide the said Scholarship or save as hereinbefore provided reduce the amount thereof.
In witness whereof the said Francis Baron Napier hath herennto get his hand and seal and the Senate of the eaid University of Madras have caused the Common seal of the said University to be hereunto affixed the day and year first above writton. Signed, Sealed, and Delivered by the above-named Francis Baron
Domestic Chaplain to
Madras. (Signed) J. I. GARSTIN,
Private Secretary to
SIR TANJORE MADATA RAU'S PRIZES. THIS INDENTURE is made the twenty.ninth day of January, one thousand eight hundred and sixty-nine between Sir Tarjore Madava Raa, Knight, Commander of the most Exalted Order of the Star of India, residing at Trevandrum in Travancore in the East Indies of the one part, and the University of Madras of the other part. Whereas