« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
12. State approximately the population of Prussia and of Berlin, the number of the Prussian regular army, and the Prussian contingent to the Germanic Confederation.
13. At what annual cost is the Prussian army maintained? State the regu
lations with regard to the Prussian landwehr.
14. Explain fully the nature of the important change which was introduced in the tenure of land in the year 1811, and its effects both present and probable. What was the state of the law regarding landed property previous to the change?
15. What are the present regulations concerning the collection of duties on imports in Prussia, and how do they affect the internal trade of the country?
16. Mention the most important imports and exports of Prussia, and give a rough estimate of their value.
17. Give an outline of the constitution promulgated by the King of Prussia in December 1848. To what extent has it since been carried out?
The Geography, &c., of Brazil.
18. On the accompanying outline map trace the course of the Amazon, the Madera, the Araguaya, the Parana, and the San Francisco; place Bahia, S. Paulo, Olinda, Rio Janeiro, Villa Rica, Cape S. Royal; mark the position of Matto Grosso, Minas Geraes, Para, Banda Oriental, Goyas; and of the most remarkable chains of mountains. 19. Write a brief account of the constitution of Brazil.
20. Who is the reigning sovereign of Brazil? What is his age? Under
what circumstances did he come to the throne?
21. State roughly the extent and the population of Brazil; and divide the population into its different classes, giving roughly the numbers of each.
22. Mention the six most important articles which are exported from Brazil. With what countries does she chiefly trade, and what is the estimated annual value of her imports?
23. What languages are spoken in Brazil?
24. What is the established religion of the country? What is the state of education?
25. What are the changes apparently most required in order to develop the resources of the country, and increase its prosperity ?
26. Describe the nature and uses of manioc.
27. What is the amount and nature of the military and naval forces of the country?
28. What is the nature of the climate at Rio Janeiro ?
29. What number of slaves is said to be imported annually into Brazil? Whence do they come, and how are they said to be treated?
Geography and Statistics of Brazil.
30. On the accompanying map trace the course of the Amazon, Madera, Paraguay, and Tocantino; place Villa Bella, S. Pedro del Rey, Assumpcion, Espiritu Santo, Paraiba, Maranham, and any other places of importance.
31. Name the six largest provinces of Brazil and their capitals.
32. Name the chief tributaries of the Amazon.
33. Describe minutely the three chief mountain ranges of Brazil.
34. Write a brief account of the constitution of Brazil, and sketch its history during the present century.
35. Divide the population of Brazil into classes: state approximately the numbers of each class, and describe the differences of appearance, habits, and character by which they are distinguished.
36. Describe the position of the chief diamond mines and the process of working them. What is the estimated value of their yearly produce? 37. What are the chief vegetable products of the country? Describe minutely any which are peculiar to it.
Geography and Statistics of Sweden.
38. Mention the three principal divisions of Sweden and the Governments into which they are subdivided. What is the population of Sweden, and its area, as compared with that of England?
39. Describe the most striking features in the physical geography of Sweden, mentioning particularly the position of its four principal lakes, and the situation and course of its four largest rivers.
40. Describe the system of the "Gotha Navigation." What were the difficulties in its construction, and how were they surmounted?
41. What districts in Sweden are most favourable to Agriculture? Describe the state of agricultural progress, the principal products, the rate of wages, and the manner in which the arable surface of the land is divided.
42. From what sources is the revenue of Sweden derived, and what is its approximate amount? How does the 5 per cent. assessment on the annual value of estates operate?
43. Describe, as accurately as you can, the position of the following places :Helsingborg, Linkopping, Ionkopping, Tornea, Wanas, Waxholm, Upsala, Carlscrona, Christianstad, Bornholm.
44. What religions prevail among the Swedes? To what extent is religious
45. Explain the terms hemman, läus häsere, fogderier, indelta, kronofogde, hoerades, rixdollars banco, ricks-geld-dollar.
46. Give the dates of the battles of Pultowa and Lutzen; and of the reigns of Gustavus Adolphus, Gustavus Vasa, Charles XII., and Marshal Bernadotte, and mention briefly the most important events in the history of Sweden connected with these names.
Geography and Statistics of Sweden.
47. Draw a map of Sweden, showing its boundaries and the principal adjacent islands; trace the chief rivers and mountain chains, and mark the position of any ten important towns.
48. Describe the most striking features in the physical geography of Sweden. 49. Describe the state of agriculture in Sweden, mentioning the principal products, the rate of wages, and the manner in which the land is divided.
50. From what sources is the revenue of Sweden derived, and what is its approximate amount? How does the 5 per cent. assessment on the annual value of the land operate ?
51. To what extent is religious toleration carried in Sweden?
52. To what extent is Sweden a manufacturing or trading country? Mention her chief imports and exports and their approximate annual value.
53. Describe the social and political state of the Swedish population, and mention any causes which tend to impede the progress of agriculture, manufactures, and commerce in Sweden.
34. Write a full account of the present Swedish constitution,
Geography, Statistics, &c. of Denmark.
55. Draw a map of Denmark and the adjoining islands, and the entrance to
56. Write a geographical description of Denmark, mentioning its situation, extent, population, physical features, and its principal mineral and vegetable products.
57. Give some account of the state of agriculture, and of the agricultural
labourers in Denmark.
58. Of what do the exports of Denmark principally consist? their annual value (approximately) (1) in 1836, (2) in 1847? 59. Sketch the history of Denmark during the present century. 60. Who is the present King of Denmark, and when did his reign begin? 61. Describe the general constitution of the supreme Government, and state
the effect of the constitutional law passed in 1849.
62. What is the amount of the public debt and of the annual revenue? What is the value in English money of a million of rixdollars? How is the land tax charged?
63. Explain fully the following terms:—amter, stifter, folksthing, amtman, tons of hardcorn, Landsthing.
Geography, Statistics, &c., of Portugal.
64. Fill up the accompanying map of Portugal as completely as you can, with special reference to the natural features of the country. 65. Enumerate the chief coins, weights, and measures in use in Portugal, with the English equivalents.
66. At what time and under what circumstances did Portugal become an independent kingdom?
67. At what period was Portugal most powerful?
What causes can be
assigned for (1) the rise, (2) the fall of its power? 68. What is the nature of the Portuguese constitution, and what changes has it undergone during the last fifty years?
69. What do you know of Vasgo de Gama, Camoens, Marquis de Pombal? 70. With what countries does Portugal chiefly trade, and what are the chief articles of export and import?
71. Enumerate the foreign dependencies of Portugal, and describe their
72. What are the chief vegetable, animal, and mineral products of Portugal? and what changes are requisite in order to increase them?
73. State roughly the population of the country. What is the character of
the inhabitants, and to what causes may it be attributed?
Geography and Statistics of Mexico.
74. On the accompanying map trace the boundaries of Mexico, the principal rivers and mountain chains, and mark the position of any eight large
75. State approximately the height of the highest peaks in Mexico, and the
population of the largest cities.
76. Of what elements is the population of Mexico composed, and in what proportions? and what is the social and political condition of each class?
77. Describe the physical features of Mexico, in connection with its varieties of climate, and the distribution of its inhabitants and vegetable products. 78. Write a brief description of the situation of the town of Mexico.
79. Mention the causes of the backward state of Mexican manufactures, agriculture, and commerce.
80. Write a full description of the present Mexican constitution.
81. What relics of antiquity have been found in Mexico? and in what places? Give some account of their nature.
Geography, Statistics, &c., of Bavaria.
82. Write a short geographical description of Bavaria, including some account of its climate and productions; and of the state of its agriculture and manufactures.
83. What peculiarities are there in Bavaria regarding the following points?
the division of landed property.
regulations regarding industry.
- laws about the relief of the poor.
Show what effect they have on the social condition of the people. 84. How is Bavaria affected by the Zollverein?
85. What is the nature of the commerce carried on in Bavaria?
the most important commercial towns, and the chief articles of export and import.
86. Give an account of the constitution and government of Bavaria. 87. What number of troops does Bavaria furnish to the German Confederation? and what is the annual cost? and what is the law regarding military service?
Explain the nature of the Landwehr.
88. On the accompanying map insert the names of the territories of which the boundaries are traced, and mark the position of any important towns, and trace the course of any great rivers.
89. Enumerate the chief tributaries of the Danube (i. e., so much of it as runs through Germany), and the Rhine; and mention the chief towns on the banks of each.
Geography and Statistics of the United States.
90. On the accompanying map of North America indicate the principal mountain ranges, rivers and lakes, and the position of any ten large towns. 91. How do the regions into which America is divided by its mountain ranges differ in soil and vegetation? Where are the principal coal beds, and where are other materials found? In what states are sugar, cotton, tobacco, wheat, rice, mainly produced?
92. Roughly estimate the population and its rate of increase. What are the causes of the rapidity of this rate? What is the proportion of slaves to whites in the slave states? What Indian tribes still exist, and in what numbers?
93. What are the chief powers of Congress? What are the numbers and the qualifications of the senators, and the representatives? What are the powers of the President, and how is he elected?
94. What are the main divisions of the army, and the main quarters of each? 95. What provisions are made for religion and education?
96. What are the principal fishing grounds of the Americans? From what ports do the fishing vessels start?
97. Enumerate the United States of America: distinguishing (1) the thirteen original states, (2) those in which slavery is prohibited.
MISCELLANEOUS PAPERS USED AT VARIOUS EXAMINATIONS.
1. What is meant by latitude and longitude, and from what fixed lines are they measured?
2. What other circles are used for geographical purposes, and how are their positions determined?
3. Name the principal natural products and manufactures of Great Britain, and the localities in which they are found or carried on.
4. From what countries do we import tea, coffee, sugar, tallow, wool, and palm oil?
5. Through what counties and towns does the Great Northern line of railway, from London to Edinburgh, pass?
6. Name the capitals of the following countries: Portugal, Kingdom of Sardinia, Norway, Bavaria, Georgia, Arabia, Thibet, Peru.
7. Draw an outline map showing the overland route to India.
8. Name the highest mountains in the four Continents, with their heights. 9. What are the principal uses of mountains?
10. Mention seven colonial possessions of Great Britain, specifying wherein their political and commercial importance to this country consists. 11. Describe the trade-winds, and explain their cause.
12. Describe the form of the various Continents of the globe, and show how it has influenced the national character and history of their inhabitants.
13. Define the following geographical terms, and mention any countries or districts to which they apply:
Archipelago, Chersonese, Delta, Steppe, Savannah, Sound, Fiord,
14. Trace the course of four of the following rivers, stating the countries through which they flow, and the principal towns on their banks: Danube, Amazon, Oder, Indus, Nile, Dnieper.
15. Where are Behring Straits, the Straits of Babelmandel, and Bonifaccio,
and the Cattegat?
16. Into how many departments is France divided? Give the names of any you remember, and mention the provinces to which they most nearly correspond respectively.
17. What is the Zollverein?
18. What were the Hanseatic towns, and why so called?
19. Mention the requisites of a good map.
20. Draw a map, either of England and Wales, inserting the county towns and principal seaports, or of Palestine; according to its territorial divisions
at the date of our Saviour's birth, indicating the position of the Jewish tribes.
21. Trace the course of the Gulf Stream.