« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
Miscellaneous Examples. t
1. If 1 pound of tobacco cost 28 cents, what will a keg of tobacco, weighing 112 pounds, cost?
16 drams (dr.) make 1 ounce, marked OZ.
lb. 28 pounds
qr. 4 quarters
1 hundred weight cwt. 20 hundred weight
T. By this weight are weighed all things of a coarse and drossy nature, such as butter, cheese, flesh, grocery wares, and all metals except gold and silver.
2. At 12 cents per lb. how much will I quarter of sugar come to ?
3. If 1 quarter of sugar cost 7 dollars, what will i cwt. cost ?
4. How many pounds are there in 1 cwt. ? 5. In 2 cwt, 2 qrs. how many quarters ? 6. In 3 qrs. 18 lbs. how many pounds ? 7. In 2 cwt. 1 qr. how many pounds ? 8. In 1 cwt. 3 qrs. 23 Ibs. how many pounds ? 9. In 18 lbs. how many ounces? 10. In 12 cwt. how many ounces? 11. In 14 cwt. 3 qrs. 15 lbs. 8 oz. how many ounces?
12 At 9 cents a pound, what cost 3 cwt. 2 qrs. 16 lbs. of sugar ?
24 grains (gr.) make 1 penny-weight, markod dwt. 20 penny-weights 1 ounce 12 ounces 1 pound
lb. By this weight are weighed gold, silver, jewels, corn, bread, and liquors.
13. If an ingot of silver weigh 42 oz. 13 dwt., what is it worth at 4 cents per
dwt. ? 14. What is the value of a silver cup weighing 9 oz. 4 dwt. 16 gr. at 3 mills per grain ?
15. In 15 ingots of gold each weighing 9 oz. 5 dwt. 7 gr. how many grains.
dr. or 3 8 drams
oz. or 3 12 ounces
Ib. Apothecaries use this weight in compounding their medicines, but they buy and sell by Avoirdupois weight. Apothecaries' is the same as Troy weight, having only some different divisions.
16. In 9 t. 8 3. 1 3. 2 sc. 19 gr. how many grains ?
2 pints (pt.) make 1 quart, marked qt.
pk. 4 pecks
bu. 8 bushels
qr. By this measure, salt
, ore, oysters, corn, and other dry goods are measured
17. At 43 cents a peck, what cost 14 bu. 3 pks. of wheat ?
18. At 3 cents a quart, what will 5 bu. 2 pks. 3 qts. of salt come to ?
qr. 4 quarters
yd. 3 quarters
1 ell Flemish Ell Fl. 5 quarters
1 ell English 5 quarters
1 aune or ell French
19. At 27 cents a nail, what is the price of 2 yds. I qr. 3 nls. of cloth ?
20. If i qr. cost $2.50 what cost 43 ells Eng. of broadcloth ?
21. At 42 cents a nail, what cost 13 ells Fl. 3 qrs. of broadcloth ?
22. How many seconds are there in 4 years ?
23. How many seconds are there in 8 y. 3 mo. 2 wks. 2 d. 19 h. 43 min. 57 sec, ?
24. How many calendar months are there from the 1st Feb. 1819, to the 1st August, 1822 ?
25. How many days are there from the 7th Sept. 1817 to the 17th May, 1822?
26. How many minutes are there from the 13th July, at 43 minutes after 9 in the morning, to the 5th Nov. at 19 min. past 3 in the afternoon ?
27. How many seconds old are you?
28. How many seconds from the commencement of the Christian era to the
1822? 29. At 4 cents an ounce, how much would 3 cwt. 2 qrs. 18 lb. 7 oz. of snuff come to ?
30. At 28 cents a pound, what would 3 T. 2 cwt. 3 qrs. 16 lb. of tobacco come to ?
31. If a cannon ball flies 8 miles in a minute, how far would it fly at that rate in 7 y. 2 mo. 3 wks. 2 d. ?
32. If a quantity of provision will last 324 men 7 days, how many men will it last one day?
33. A garrison of 527 men have provision sufficient to last 47 days, if each man is allowed 15 oz. a day; how many days. would it last if each man were allowed only 1 oz. a day?"
34. A garrison of 527 men have provision sufficient to last 47 days, if each man is allowed 15 oz. a day ; how many men would it serve the same time, if each man were allowed only 1 oz. a day?
35. If a man performs a journey in 58 days, by travelling 9 hours in a day, how many hours is he perform
36. If by working 13 hours in a day a man can per
form a piece of work in 217 days; how long would it take him to do it if he worked only 1 hour in a day?
37. If by laboring 14 hours in a day 237 men can build a ship in 132 days, how many days would it take them, if they work only 1 hour in a day? How many men would it take to do it in 132 days, if they work only 1 hour in a day?
38. How many yards of cioth that is 1 quarter wide, are equal to 27 yards that is 1 yd. wide ?
39. If a piece of cloth that is 1 qr. wide is worth $67.25, what is a piece containing the same number of yards of the same kind of cloth worth, that is 1 yd. wide ?
40. If a bushel of wheat afford 65 eight-penny loaves, how many penny loaves may be obtained from it?
41. What is the price of 4 pieces of cloth, the first containing 21 yards, at $4.75 a yard; the second containing 27 yards, at $7.25 a yard; the third containing 18 yards, at $9.00 a yard; and the fourth containing 32 yards, at $8.57 a yard ?
42. A man bought 15 lbs. of beef, at 9 cents a pound; 28 lbs. of sugar, at $0.125 a pound; 18 gallons of wine, at $1.56 a gallon ; a barrel of flour, for $8.00; and 3 barrels of cider, at $3.50 a barrel. How much did the whole amount to ?
Interest is a reward allowed by a debtor to a creditor for the use of money. It is reckoned by the hundred, hence the rate is called so much per cent. or per centum. Per centum is Latin, signifying by the hundred. cent. signifies 6 dollars on a hundred dollars, 6 cents on a hundred cents, £6 on £100, &c. so 5 per cent. signifies 5 dollars on 100 dollars, &c. Insurance, commission, and premiums of every kind are reckoned in this way. Discount is so much
per cent. to be taken out of the principal.
43. If 1 dollar gain 6 cents interest a year, how much will 13 dollars gain in the same time?
44 What is the interest of $43.00 for 1 year at 6
per cent. ?
45. What is the interest of $157.00 for 1 year, at 5
per cent. ?
46. What is the interest of $1.00 for 2 years at 6 per cent. ? What for 5 years ?
47. What is the interest of $247.00 for 3 years at 7
per cent. ?
48. How much must I give for insuring a ship and cargo worth $150,000.00 at 2 per cent. ?
49. Imported some books from England, for which I paid $150.00 there. The duties in Boston were 15 per cent., the freight $5.00. What did the books cost me ?
50. What must I receive for a note of $275.00 that has been due 3 years, interest at 6 per cent. ?
51. A man failing in trade, is able to pay only $0.68 on a dollar ; how much can he pay on a debt of 5 dollars ? How much on a debt of 20 dollars ?
52. A man failing in trade, is able to pay only $0.73 on a dollar; how much will he pay on a debt of $47.00? How much on a debt of $123.00? How much on a debt of $2,500.00 ?
53. A merchant bought a quantity of goods for 243 dollars, and sold them so as to gain 15
per cent. ; how much did he gain, and how much did he sell them for ?
54. A merchant bought a quantity of goods for $843.00 ; how much must he sell them for to gain 23
per cent. ?
VIII. 1* David had nine peaches, and gave four of them to George ; how many had he left ?
2. A man having 15 dollars, lost 9 of them; how many had he left ?
3. David and William counted their apples ; David had 35, and William had 17 less; how many had William ?
* See First Lessons, sect. E