« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
2. A man having 3 bushels of corn, distributed it among some poor persons, giving them of a buskel each ; to how many did he give it?
Note. First find how many he would have given it to, if he had given of a bushel to each.
4. In 3 are how many times ? How many times ?
5. If of a barrel of four will last a family one month, how long will 4 barrels last the same family? How long will 6 barrels last? How long will 10 barrels last ?
6. How many times is a contained in 4 ? How many times in 6 ? How many times in 10 ?
7. If of a bushel of wheat will last a family one week, how many weeks will 64 bushels last the same family?
8. How many times is contained in 62 ?
9. There is a cistern having a cock which will fill it in of an hour ; how many times' would the cock fill the cistern in 3 hours ?
10. How many times is contained in 3 ?
11. How much cloth at 14 dollars (that is dollars) a yard can be bought for 4 dollars ?
12. How many times is lt or contained in 4 ?
13. A man distributed 84 bushels of wheat among some poor persons, giving 14 bushels to each ; how many did he give it to ?
14. How many times is 14 contained in 84?
15. If a soldier is allowed 14 pounds (that is of a pound) of meat in a day, to how many soldiers would 6pounds be allowed 16. How many times is 1} contained in 63 ?
17. If if tons of hay will keep a horse through he winter, how many horses will 10 tons keep?
18. How many times is 1 contained in 10?
19. At 2f dollars a box, how many boxes of raisins can be bought for 10 dollars ?
20. How many times is 24 contained in 10?
21. At if dollars a pound, how many pounds of indigo can be bought for 9 dollars? 22. How many times is le contained in 93 ?
23. At 14 dollars a barrel, how many barrels of raisins can be bought for 99 dollars ?
24. How many times is 14 contained in 9 ?
25. At [of a dollar apiece, how many pieces of nankin can be bought for 8f dollars ?
26. How many times is į contained 8?
27. At šof a dollar a pound, how many pounds of tea can be bought for 75 dollars ?
28. How many times is f contained in 73 ? 29. How many times is 3f contained in 73 ? 30. How many times is 54 contained in 17 ? 31. How many times is 41 contained in 9? 32. How many times is 3 contained in 124 ?
B. 1. At bo of a dollar a pound, how many pounds of meat can be bought for of a dollar ?
Note. Change 1 to tenths.
3. A man having f of a barrel of flour, distributed it among some poor persons, giving them & of a barrel apiece ; how many did he give it to ?
Note. Change both fractions to twelfths ; that is, reduce them to a common denominator.
4. How many times is t contained in ?
5. If a pound of almonds cost of a dollar, how many pounds can be bought for of a dollar ?
Note. Reduce the fractions to a common denominator. 6. How
times is contained in ? 7. If a piece of nankin cost of a dollar, how many pieces can be bought for 4 dollars ? that is, 19 dollars ? 3. How many times is contained in 48?
If a bushel of barley cost g of a dollar, how
many bushels can be bought for of a dollar? How many for 1$ dollars ?
10. How many times is şcontained in 3? How many times in 18?
11. How many times is contained in ? 12. How many times is ģ contained in š?
TABLES OF COINS, WEIGHTS, AND MEASURES.
Table 1. — FEDERAL MONEY.
Federal Money is the currency of the United States.
10 mills (m.) 10 cents 10 dimes 10 dollars
make 1 cent,
d. doll. or
Table 11. — STERLING MONEY
Sterling Money is the currency of England.
or far.) make 1 penny, 4 farthings (qr. or
marked d. 1 shilling,
£ 20 shillings
) pound, or a sovereign, 21 shillings
Table III. — TROY WEIGHT.
Used in weighing Gold, Silver, and some Liquids.
24 grains (gr.)
make 1 pennyweight,
1 ounce, 1 pound,
Table IV. - AVOIRDUPOIS WEIGHT.
Used in weighing Groceries, Hay, &c., and all the Metals, except Gold and Silver. It is now the custom to allow 100 lbs. for a hundred weight instead of 112 as formerly.
Used in measuring Grains, Salt, Oysters, &c.
2 pints & quarts 4 pecks
make 1 quart,
- MEASURE OF TIME.
60 seconds (sec.)
or 12 calendar months
make 1 minute,
hr. dy. wk. mo.
For convenience of reckoning, it is usual in calendars to call the year 365 days for 3 suocessive years, and every fourth year 366, (for in 4 years the six hours overplus amount to a day) which is called bissextile or leap year. This day is added to February
The common year is divided into twelve months, which are sometimes called calendar months, because they are the months used in calendars.
The names of the months, and the number of days in each, are as follows:
Winter. Autumn. fummer. Spring. Winter.
Number of days.
31 28, in leap year 29. 31 30 31 30 31 31 30 31 30
1. In 2 pounds how many ounces?