« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
serving to himself 1 of 1 per cent. on the sale of the bill, and 2 per cent. commission on the investment ?
110. The greatest term in a series of continual proportionals is 10, the ratio 15, and the number of terms 12. What is the sum of the series ?
111. What is the area of a circle, the diameter of which is 200 feet ?
112. What sum of money must be put on interest, at the rate of 6 per cent. a year, to gain $ 27.83 in 11
113. A person found two sums of money; of the first added to of the second was $ 120. The two sums together were $400. What was each sum?
114. What number is that, whose cube root is equal to the square root of 361?
115. If a family of 9 persons spend $305. in 4 months, how many dollars would maintain them 8 months, if 5 persons more were added to the family?
116. Bought 5 hhds. of wine at 1 dollar per gallon, cash; having kept it 3 months and 23 days, I sold it at $ 1.20 per gallon, on a credit of 5 months; 16 gallons having leaked out while in my possession. What was my cash gain ?
117. A grocer having sugars at $12, $ 10, and $ 8 per cwt. would make a mixture of 30 cwt. worth $ 9 per cwt. What quantity of each must he take ?
118. What sum of money on interest at 6 per cent. a year, will amount to $ 1295.19, in 13 months 6 days?
119. How much must be paid for the transportation of 7261. Ib. 60 miles, at the rate of $10 for the transportation of 2000lb. 47 miles ?
120. A farmer sold 17 bushels of rye, and 13 bushels of wheat for $31.55. The wheat, at 35 cents a bushel more than the rye. What was each per bushel ?
121. A man bought apples at 5 cents a dozen, half of which he exchanged for pears, at the rate of 8 apples for 5 pears; he then sold all his apples and pears at a cent apiece, and thus gained 19 cents. How many apples did he buy, and how much did they cost ?
122. The sides of two square pieces of ground are as
3 10 5, and the sum of their superficial contents is 30600
123. If 96 boards, 15 feet 6 inches long and 14 inches
cents, and the expense of each was as many cents as there
125. If 20 feet of iron railing weigh 1000 lb. when the
a bill at 30 days sight; he allowed 1 per cent. discount
out, at 60 cents per 100lb. clear, and was to take his pay
132. A merchant received on consignment 3 lots of hops, viz. 810lb. from Allen; 720lb. from Bond; and 1872 lb. from Cook. On inspection, Bond's hops were found to be 12 per cent. better than Allen's; and Cook's 25 per cent. better than Bond's. A sale of the 3 lots together was effected at 10 cents per lb. What was the just share of the amount for each ?
133. A and B hired a coach in Boston to go 50 miles, for $25. with liberty to take in two more when they pleased. After riding 15 miles they took in C, who wished to go the remainder of the journey out, and return with them to Boston. On their return, at the distance of 25 miles from Boston, they admitted D for the remainder of the journey. You are required to settle the coach hire equitably between them.
134. Suppose a rope 7.1365 rods long, to have one end attached to a horse's head, and the other end fastened to a stake, in the centre of a field; how much land will the horse be allowed to graze upon ? · 135. A cistern is to be constructed, in the form of a cylinder, to hold 850 gallons. If the diameter of the end be made 6 feet, what must be the length of the side ?
136. Suppose the propelling wheels of a locomotive engine to be 3 feet 4 inches in diameter, and to make 396 revolutions in a minute; what distance will the engine move forward in one hour ?
137. If 12 oxen eat up 3 acres of grass in 4 weeks, and 21 oxen eat up 10 acres in 9 weeks, how many oxen will eat up 24 acres in 18 weeks; the grass being at first equal on every acre, and growing uniformly ?
Extraction of the Cube Root ...........
............ ........... 213
..... 228 Japan
229 Acheen .............
Venice ................... 231 Mauritius ................ 240
. . . . . . . . . .......