« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
6. Suppose a man to eat 5-sixths of a pound of beef in one day, how many pounds will he eat in 5 days ?
7. How many whole ones in 5 times 5-sixths ?"
8. If 3-sevenths of a pound of gunpowder tea cost ! dollar, how many pounds can I buy for 8 dollars ?
9. How many whole ones in 8 times 3-sevenths ?
10. Suppose 5-eighths of a yard of cloth will make a vest, how many yards will it take to make 6 vests?
11. How many whole ones in 6 times 5-eighths ?
12. If 1 quire of letter paper be worth 4-ninths of a dollar, how many dollars are 7 quires worth?
13 How many whole ones in 7 times 4-ninths ?
14. Suppose a man to walk 1 mnile in 2-tenths of an hour, what time will it take him to walk 9 miles ? 15. How many whole ones in 9 times 2-tenths ?
SECTION 18. 1. What will 6 yards of broad-cloth cost, at 7 dollars and 3-eighths of a dollar per yard ?
Solution. 6 yards will cost 6 times 7 dollars and 3eighths. 6 times 7 dollars are 42 dollars. 6 tiines 3eighths are 18-eighths, equal to 2 and 2-eighths. Then, 42 dollars plus 2 dollars and 2-eighths are 44 dollars and 2-eighths.
2. What will 4 hundred-weight of sugar cost, at 9 dollars and 2-fifths per hundred-weight?
3. What is 4 times 9 and 2-fifths ?
4. Suppose a ship to sail 10 miles and 1-half in one hour, what distance will it sail in 7 hours ?
5. What is 7 times 10 and 1-half?
6. If a horse eat 1 bushel and 9-tenths of a bushel of oats in a week, how much will he eat in 4 weeks ?
7. What is 4 times 1 and 9-tenths ?
8. If i dime will buy 3 yards and 2-thirds of a yard of ribbon, how many yards will 6 dimes buy?
fi 9. What is 6 times 3 and 2-thirds ?
10. Suppose the price of coal at the mine, is 3 aollars a ton, and the freight of it to the city is 3-fourths of a dollar a ton, what will 10 tons cost at the city?
11. What is 10 times 3 and 3-fourths ?
12. Suppose a boat goes 10 miles and 5-sixths of a mile in 1 hour; what distance will it go in 8 hours ?
13. What is 3 times 10 and 5-sixths ?
14. If 3 yards and 7-eighths of cloth will inake a cloak, how many yards will it take to make 5 cloaks?
15. What is 5 times 3 and 7-eighths ? imales
SECTION 19. 1. Il 1-fifth of a chest of tea be worth 6 dollars and this da 7-eighths, what is a whole chest worth?
Solution. A whole chest is worth 5 times as much hs? as 1-fifth of a chest. 5 times 6 dollars are 30 dollars;
5 times 7-eighths of a dollar are 35-eighths of a dollar, or 4 dollars and 3-eighths. 30 dollars plus 4 dollars and 3-eighths are 34 dollars and 3-eighths.
2. 6 and 7-eighths is 1-fifth of what number?
3. Suppose 1-ninth of a kite line to be 5 yards and dollat 3-fourths of a yard long,-how long is the whole line?
4. 5 and 3-fourths is 1-ninth of what number?
5. A young man being asked his age, answered indirectly, that 1-third of his age was 7 years and 2-sixth3 of a year. What was his age ?
6.7 and 2-sixths is 1-third of what number?
7. Suppose a man can build 3 rods and 2-fifths of a ,diiy rod of wall in 1-sixth of a week,-how many rods can
he build in a whole week?
8. 3 and 2-fifths is 1-sixth of what number?
9. If 1-tenth of a bushel of corn be worth 6 cents and 1-fourth of a cent, what is a bushel worth?
10. 6 and 1-fourth is 1-tenth of what number?
11. 1-fourth of Edmund's kite line measures 8 yards and 3-sevenths of a yard. How long is the line ?
12. 8 and 3-sevenths is 1-fourth of what number? 13. If 1-half of a yard of lace cost 3 dollars and 4 fifths of a dollar, what will a yard cost ?
14 3 and 4-fifths is 1-half of what number?
15. Suppose that 1-seventh of an acre of land will produce 6 bushels and 7-ninths of a bushel of barley. how many bushels will an acre produce ?
16. 6 and 7-ninths is 1-seventh of what number?
SECTION 20. 1. If 1 apple were divided equally among 3 boys, what part of 1 apple would 1 boy receive? If 2 apples were ihus divided, how many thirds would one boy receive?
2. Here we see 1-third of 2 boards, placed over 2thirds of 1 board.
Is it not plain, that 1-third of the 2 boards together, is equal to 2-thirds of 1 board ?
3. l-third of 2 is equal to what part of 1?
4. There were 3 boys, who had 1 dollar apiece; and each boy gave a decrepit soldier 1-fourth of his money. What part of 1 dollar did the poor soldier receive ?
5. Here, we see 1-fourth of 3 boards placed over 3fourths of 1 board. Suppose the fourths seen in the 3 boards should be placed together end to end - Is it not plain, they would make 3-fourths of 1 board ?
6. 1-fourth of 3 is equal to what part of 1?
7. I have 4 oranges to divide among 5 boys. I first cut 1 orange into fifths, and give each boy i-fifth; and thus I proceed, dividing 1 orange at a time, until they are all divided. Now, what part of a whole orange can each boy make up, by joining his fifths together ?
8. l-fifth of 4 is equal to what part of 1 ?
9. If 1 melon were divided equally among 6 boys, what part of 1 melon would 1 boy receive? Is 2 melons were divided, how many sixths would 1 boy receive?
10. 1-sixth of 2 is equal to what part of 1 ?
11. If 3 barrels of flour were divided equally among i men, how much would 1 man receive ?
12. 1-seventh of 3 is equal to what part of 1?
į 8 soldiers, what part of a pound would 1 soldier get?
14. 1-eighth of 5 is equal to what part of 1?
15. An ostler has 2 bushels of oats to divide among 9 horses;-how much must he give to each horse?
16. 1-ninth of 2 is equal to what part of 1?
men, vhat part of 1 dollar would each man have ?
18. 1-tenth of 7 is equal to what part of 1?
22. There were 36 oranges in a basket and Albert was directed to take 1-fourth of them. Accordingly he cut 1-fourth out of every orange, and took it to himself. How many fourths of an orange did he get ? He then joined his fourths together, to make them into whole oranges;-how many whole ones had he?
23. 1-fourth of 36 is equal to how many fourths of 1: -equal to how many whole ones?
24. In another basket there were also 36 oranges, and Benjamin was directed to take 1-fourth of them. But, instead of cutting 1-fourth out of every orange, as Albert did, he took 1 orange from every 4 in the basket. How many oranges did Benjamin get?
25. Now tell me which is the most;—-1-fourth of 36, or 36-fourths of 1?
26. 1-half of 10 dollars is equal to how many halves of 1 dollar?-equal to how many dollars ?
27. 1-third of 18 oranges is equal to how many thirds of 1 orange?-equal to how many whole oranges?
28. 1-fifth of 17 oranges is equal to how many fifths of 1 orange?-equal to how many whole oranges?
29. 1-sixth of 42 is equal to how many sixths of 1! -equal to how many whole ones?
30. 1-seventh of 59 is equal to how many sevenths of 1?-equal to how many whole ones?
SECTION 21. 1. If a chest of green tea be worth 27 dollars, what is 1-fourth of it worth?
Solution. 1-fourth of the tea is worth 1-fourth of 27 dollars. 1-fourth of 27 dollars is 6 dollars, there being
3 dollars over. 1-fourth of 3 dollars is equal to 3-fourths of 1 dollar. 6 dollars plus 3-fourths of a dollar are o dollars and 3-fourths...... Or, we may say,-One fourth o: 27 dollars is 27-fourths of 1 dollar; equal to 6 dollars and 3-fourths.
2. What is 1-fourth of 27 ?
3. 3 men bought a barrel of sugar for 23 doilars, and div'ded it equally among them, each man taking 1-third of the sugar, and paying 1-third of the price. How many dollars did each man pay?
4. What is 1-third of 23?
5. Suppose a family to eat 26 loaves of bread in a week;—what number of loaves would the family consume in 1-seventh of a week, or 1 day?
6. What is l-seventh of 26 ? . 7. Suppose 48 bushels of wheat are to be divided among
how much will 1 man receive ? 8. What is 1-fifth of 43 ?
9. 6 men purchased a boat for 27 dollars: each man paid 1-sixth of the money, and owned 1-sixth of the boat. How many dollars did 1 man pay?
10. What is 1-sixth of 27 ?
11. Suppose a bag of coffee to weigh 65 pounds;what is the weight of 1-ninth of it?
12. What is 1-ninth of 65?
13. If it will take a man 60 days to clear a piece of wood-land, in what time will he clear 1-eighth of it?
14. What is l-eighth of 60?
15. A sailor was cast upon a desolate island, and subsisted 10 days upon 34 biscuit, eating an equal quantity each day. How many did he eat each day? 16. What is 1-tenth of 34?
17. If a bar of silver, that is worth 37 dollars should be cut into 3 equal parts, how many dollars would 1 of the parts be worth?
13. What is l-third of 37? 19. Suppose a party of 9 gold hunters find a quantity of ore, which is worth 88 dollars; what is the value of each man's share?
20. What is 1-ninth of 88?