« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
13. 11 men divided 9 hogsheads of molasses equally among them. How many gallons had each man?
14 1 of 7 furlongs is how many rods ? 15. of 6 square feet is how many square inches? 16. How many seconds are there in 2 of 10 hours ?
17. A trader sold of a hogshead of wine at 37 cents for every 1 of a gallon. What did it amount to?
SECTION 22. 1. If 34 barrels of flour be made from 147 bushels of wheat, how much wheat will make 9 barrels of flour?
2. What is 9 times of 147 ?
3. If 8 yards of broad-cloth cost $38, what-will 13 yards cost, at the same rate ? 4. What is 13 times of 38 ? 7 times
7 times lo of 654 1 5 times 14 of 270? 21 times is of 40975?
5. If it cost $1.25 to ride 20 miles in a stage, how much will it cost to ride 32 miles ?.
6. If $16 will pay for 85 pounds of butter, how many pounds will $ 25 pay for?
7. If 12 cords of wood cost $ 75, what will be the cost of 19 cords, at the same rate ?
8. Suppose 21cwt. of flour to be worth the same as 65 bushels of salt; how many bushels of salt must be given in exchange for 18 cwt. of flour ?
9. If 8 barrels will hold 19 bu. 3pk. 4qt. of corn, how much corn can be put into 15 barrels ?
SECTION 23. 1. When writing paper is sold at $5.42 per ream, what is the price of of a ream?
2. If & of a ream of paper is worth $ 1.354, what is of a ream worth?
3. Suppose a hogshead of sugar to be worth $ 93, what is of it worth?
4. If of a hogshead of sugar is worth $13.284, what is of it worth?
5. What is 5 of 3765 ? What is gof 3765 ?
6. How many gallons are there in of a pipe of wine! How many gallons in of a pipe ?
In the following examples, it will be most convenient to multiply by the numerator of the fraction, before dividing by the denominator. See Second Method of Operation, exemplified in page 152.
7. The highest point of the Andes, is 21440 feet: Mont Blanc, of the Alps, is as high. What is the height of Mont Blanc ?
8. Virginia contains 66000 square miles: Rhode Island is only as large. How many square miles are there in Rhode Island ?
9. If a man's income be $ 1000 per year, what is his income for 9 months, or is of a year?
10. Suppose a man by constant industry can earn $1.50 per day; what will he earn in 10 days, allowing him to rest 4 of the time?
11. How much must be paid for zö of a ton of Russia hemp, when the price is $210 per ton ?
12. A man having 4 miles to go, rode of the way, and walked the remainder. How many rods did he walk:
13. Suppose 45000 pounds of iron to be sufficient to lay the track on 1 mile of rail-way; how many pounds of iron are required to lay the track on 17 mile?
14. How much is 4500 plus of 4500 ? 15. Suppose a rail-way car to run 350 miles a day; what distance will it run in 5 days ?
16. How much is 5 times 350 ?- That is, - how much is 5 times 350 and of another time 350 ?
17. How much is 6 times 91? 84 times 146 ? 3 times 244 ? 12 times 379? 16 16 times 978 ?
ber, is nog
PERCENTAGE. The term, per cent., is an abbreviation of per centum, and signifies, by the hundred. 1 per cent. of any nuin
of that number; 2 per cent. is Tõo; 3 per cent. is Tôõ; 4 per cent. is ; and so on. 18. What is 5 per cent. of 360 dollars ? 360
Since 5 per cent. is too, we multiply 5
by 5, and divide by 100. To divide
by 100, we merely point off two figures $18.00
from the right, as taught in page 116
19. What is 1 per cent. of 100? 2 per cent. of 100? 20. What is 2 per cent. or 100
of 350 dollars? 21. A merchant, who has $ 3875 deposited in the bank, wishes to draw out 4 per cent. of his deposit How many dollars must he draw? 22. What is 6 per cent. or
of 4250 dollars ? 23. What is 6 per cent. of $ 92.50, or 9250 cents ? 24. What is 4 per cent. of $132.75 ?
25. A merchant having 2513 gallons of wine on hand, löst 1 per cent. of the whole, by leekage from the casks. How many gallons did he lose? 26. Find 6 per cent. of 123 dollars. 128
After multiplying and dividing, our 6 quotient is $716. Now, since do
dollar is 1 cent, too of a dollar is 68 $7.68
cents: therefore the answer is $7.63. 27. Find 7 per cent. of 2517 dollars. 28. Find 18 per cent. of 20 dollars. 29. What is 4 per cent. of $70.14, or 7014 cents ?
In this example, after multiplying by 4, and dividing by 100, there is a remainder of 56. And since the quotient is cents, this remainder is 6 of a cent.
30. What is 9 per cent. of $470.46 ? 31. What is 55 per cent. of $ 964.07?
32. A and B have $ 500 apiece. If A should give B 6 per cent of his cash, what would each then have?
33. What is į of 1 per cent. of 62 dollars ?
37. A merchant paid $491 for a quantity of salt: for huw much must he sell it, to gain 9 per cent.?
38. A trader paid $ 230 for a piece of cloth, containing 46 yards, and sold it so as to lose 4 per cent At how much did he sell it per yard ?
39. If I pay $525 for 90 barrels of flour, at what price per barrel must I sell it, to gain 7 per cent.?
40. Suppose a merchant to pay $85 per ton for 6 tons of iron; at what price must he sell it per hundred weight, in order to gain 12 per cent. ?
41. A merchant failed in business, and was able to pay
his creditors only 65 per cent. of their demands. What did he pay on a deniand of $ 534 ?
INTEREST. Interest is money paid for the use of money that has been owed. For instance, suppose that A lends B $100 for one year, and at the end of the year, B pays, not only the $ 100, but also pays $6 for the use of the $ 100: in this case, $ 6 is the interest.
The money for which interest is paid, is called the Principal. The sum per cent. paid for one year's interest, is called the Rate. The principal and interest added together, are called the Amount.
RULE FOR COMPUTING INTEREST. Multiply the principal by the rate per cent., and divide the product by 100: the quotient will be the interest for 1 year.
42. What is the interest of $100, for 1 year, at 5 per cent. ? What is the amount ?
43. What is the interest of $ 1 or 100 cents, for 1 year, at 5 per cent.? What is the amount ?
44. What is the interest of $354, at 6 per cent. for 1 year!
for 2 years? for 3 years ? for 4 years? What is the amount for 4 years ?
45. What is the interest of $ 40.50, for 4 years, at 6 per cent. ? What is the amount ? 46. What is the interest of $ 18, for 3 years, at 7
What is the amount? 47. What will $ 8410 amount to in 15 years; the rate of interest being 4 per cent.? 43. What is the interest of $6470, for 3 years, at 53
What is the amount ? When interest is to be computed for any number of months, - First find the interest for 1 year; then take a of a year's interest for 1 month; iz or for 2 months, 12 or 4. for 3 months; and so on.
49. What is the interest of $35, for one month, at 6 per cent. per annum ? What is the amount ?
50. What is the interest of $21, for 2 months, at 7 per cent. per annuni?
51. What is the interest of $4291, for 3 months, at 5 per cent. per annum?
52. At 4 per cent. per annum, what is the interest of $ 122.75 for 4 months ? for 5 months ? for 6 months ? ior, 7 months ? for 8 months ? for 9 months ? for 10 months ? What is the amount for 11 months ?
53. What is the interest of $ 14.50, for 1 year and 1 month, at 6 per cent.?
54. What is the interest of $ 19.25, for 3 years and 2 months, at 8 per cent.?
55. What is the amount of $458, for 2 years and 3 months, at 7
cent.? 56. What is the amount of $8.75 for 5 years and 4 months, at 4 per cent.?
57. What is the amount of $ 91.50, for 2 years and 7 months, at 8 per cent.?
59. What is the interest of $81, from February 7, 1832, to August 7, 1835, at 6 per cent.?
59. Suppose a promissory note of $ 145, to be dated, January 15, 1831; what will be the amount of that note, October 15, 1834; the rate being 6 per cent.? 60. A owed B $96, on interest at 6 per cent.
At the end of 2 years, A paid the interest then due, and $25 of the principal: at the end of 3 years and 11 months, he paid the whole debt. What was each payment ?
When interest is to be computed for any number of days,— First find the interest for 1 month; then take zo of a month's interest for 1 day; or for 2 days,
or io for 3 days; 3 or is for 4 days; šor for 5 days; o or } for 6 days; and so on.
In the following operations, in this section, all fractions of a cent may be disregarded: this being the common practice in business.
61. What is the interest of $231, for 7 days, at 6 per cent. per annum ?
Direction. First find the interest for 1 year; then for ta of a year or 1 month; and then for 7 of a month.