« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
2. What cost four oranges, at six cents apiece !
3. What cost seven barrels of cider, at three dollars a barrel ?
4. How much do three barrels of beer come to, at seven dollars a barrel ?
5. What cost four firkins of butter, at eight dollars a firkin ?
6. What do nire pounds of veal come to, at six cents a pound?
7. What cost six reams of paper, at five dollars per ream ?
8. What cost eight pair of shoes, at three dollars a pair?
9. What is the value of nine yards of cloth, at six dollars a yard ?
10. If a man travel five miles in an liour, how many miles will he travel in nine hours ?
11. There is an orchard consisting of ten rows of trees, and nine trees in each row; how many trees are there in the orchard ?
12., On a chess board there are eight rows of squares, and eight squares in each row; how many squares are there on the board ?
13. In one penny there are four farthings; how many farthings are there in six pence?
14. How many farthings are there in eight
15. How many farthings are there in nine pence ?
16. How many farthings are there in ten pence?
17. In onę shilling there are twelve pence; how many farthings are there in a shilling ?
18. Iu one pint, there are four gills; how many gills are there in five pints ?
19. In one quart there are two pints; how many pints are there in six quarts ?
20. lfow many pints are there in three quorts ?
21. How many gills are there in six pints ? 22. How many gills are there in one quart? 23. How many gills are there in three quarts ?
24. In one gallon there are four quarts; how many quarts are there in three gallons ?
25. How many quarts are there in five gallons ? 26. How many quarts are there in seven gallous ? 27. How many pints are there in one gallon? 28. How many pints are there in three gallons ? 29. How many gills are there in one gallon ? 30. How many gills are there in five quarts ? 31. How many gills are there in two gallons ?
32. A person bought two oranges, at six cents apiece; and seven lemons, at four cents apiece; and five pears, at two cents apiece; how much did the whole come to ?
33. If one pint of gin cost eight cents, what will one quart cost ?
34. If one gill of brandy cost four cents, what will one quart cost ?
35. If one gill of beer cost two cents, what will one gallon cost ?
36. If a stage runs seven miles in an hour, how far will it run in nine hours ?
37. Two men start from the same place and travel different ways; one travels two miles in an hour; the other travels three miles in an hour; how far apart will they be at the end of one hour ? How far at the end of two hours ? How far at the end of three hours ? How far at the end of four hours ?
38. Two men start from the same place and travel the same way; one travels at the rate of two miles ia an hour ; the other, four; how far apart will they be in one hour ? How far in two hours ? How fit in four hours !
39. If three men can do a piece of work in two
dny's, how many days would it take one man to do
40. If four men can do a piece of work in five days, how many days would it take one man to do it?
41. If six men can do a piece of work in seven days, how many men would it take to do it in one day?
42. If a quantity of provisions will serve thret men five days, how many men would it serve ono day!
43. If a quantity of provisions will serve five men seven days, how many days would it serve one man ?
44. If fifteen dollars worth of provision will serve eight men five days, how many days will it serve one man ?
45. A man had a piece of work to perform which seven men could do in nine days, but it was necessary that the whole should be completed in one day; how many men must he employ?
46. If the interest of one dollar is six cents a year, what would be the interest of ten dollars for the same time ?
47. If the interest of one dollar is six cents for onè year, what would be the interest of it for two years ? for three years ? for seven years ?
48. If a man can earn seven shillings in a day, how many shillings will he earn in six days ?
49. If a man can earn eight dollars in a month, how much can he earn in six months !
50. At five dollars a week, what will nine weeks board come to ?
51. A lady bought three yards of cambric at two dollars a yard, seven yards of silk for three dollars a yard, five yards of riband for four dollars, and some crape for two dollars; she paid four ten-dollar bills; how much must she receive back again?
A. 1. How many apples, at one cent apiece, can you buy for four cents ?
2. How many pears, at two cents apiece, can you buy for four cents ?
3. How many peaches, at three cents apiece, can you buy for six cents ?
4. How many apples, at two cents apiece, can you buy for six cents? How many for eight cents ?
5. How many pears, at three cents apiece, can you buy for nine certs ? How many for twelve cents ?
6. If you have eight apples to give to four boys, how many can you give to each?
7. If a nan travel six miles in two hours, how many miles does he travel in an hour !
8. If a man travel three miles in an hour, how many hours will it take him to travel vine miles !
9. How many yards of cloth, at three dollars a yard, can you buy for fifteen dollars ? 10. If
you bad sixteen cents, how many cakes could you buy at four cents apiece ?
11. If you had ten dollars, how much cloth could you buy at five dollars a yard?
12. If you had twelve apples to give to six of your companions, how many would you give them apiece ?
13. If a man can travel six miles in an hour, how Inng will it take him to travel eighteen miles ?
14. If a man can travel five miles in an hour, how long will it take him to travel twenty miles ?
15. In a certain orchard there are twenty-four trees standing in rows, and there are three trees in each row, how many rows are there?
16. In an orchard there are twenty-one trees, and there are seven trees in each row, how many ro's are there ?
17. A man paid twenty-seven dollars for some sheep, and he gave nine dollars apiece for them, how many sheep did he buy?
18. A man paid twenty-eight dollars for seven barrels of cider, how much did he give a barrel ?,
19. At five cents apiece, how many oranges can you buy for thirty cents ?
20. Twenty-five are how many times five ?
21. Thirty-two are how many times four? How many times eight ?
22. Thirty-five are how many times seven? How many times five ?
23. Thirty-six are how many times six ? How many times nine ? How many times four ?
B. Remark. When any thing, or any number, is divided into two equal parts, one of the parts is called the half of the thing or the number.
1. If an apple is worth two cents, what is one half of it worth?
2. What is one half of two cents ?
A. Because if you divide two cents into two equal parts, one of the parts is one cent.
3. If you can buy a cake for two cents, how much can you buy for one cent ?
4. One is what part of two ?
6. If you can buy one pear for two cents, how many can you buy for three cents ?
7. Three, are how many times two ? Ans. Once two and one half of two.