« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
5. If 4 yards of cloth cost twelve dollars, what will 2 yards cost ?
6. If 9 apples cost eighteen cents, what will 3 apples cost?
7. If 3 oranges cost 18 cents, what will 2 cost ?
8. James had twenty-five cents, and he gave 4 fifths of them for 10 apples ; how much did he give for all the apples? how much apiece!
9. A man had thirty dollars, and gave 5 sixths of them for 8 yards of cloth; how much did he give a yard ?
10. A man had forty yards of cloth, and sold 3 fifths of it for twenty-four dollars; what was that a
11. A man had forty-two barrels of flour, and sold 2 sevenths of it for 6 dollars a barrel; how much did it come to ?
12. A boy had sixty-three nuts, and divided 4 sevenths of them equally among six of his companions ; how many did he give them apiece?
13. If 4 yards of cloth cost twelve dollars, what will 3 yards cost ?
14. If 5 oranges cost twenty-five cents, what will 3 cost ?
15. If 3 oranges cost fifteen cents, what will 7 cost?
16. If 3 barrels of cider cost twelve dollars, what will 10 harrels cost ?
17. If 7 pounds of flour cost thirty-five cents, what will. 9 pounds cost ?
18. If 5 firkins of butter cost forty dollars, what will 3 firkins cost?
19. If 2 men can do a piece of work in 6 days, how long would it take 4 men to do the same work?
20. If 6 men can do a piece of work in twelve days, in how many days will 3 men do the same work!
21. If3 men can do a piece of work in twelve days, in how many days will 4 men do the same work?
22. If 2 cocks of a certain size will empty a cistern in 6 hours, in how long a time will 3 cocks of the same size empty it ?
23. Three men, setting out on a journey, purchased 5 loaves of bread apiece, but before they had eaten any of it, two other men joined them, and they agreed to share the bread equally among the whole; how many loaves did they have apiece ! ?
24. If 4 barrels of flour cost twenty-four dollars, what would y barrels cost? How much cider at 3 dollars a barrel would 7 barrels of flour buy ?
25. A man bought a quantity of flour for fiftyfour dollars; and another man gave him 9 yards of cloth for 5 sixths of it; what was the cloth worth a yard ?
26. If 9 yards of cloth cost fifty-four dollars, how many hoxes of butter at 4 dollars a box, would 5 yards of the same cloth buy?
27. Bought 8 firkins of butter for seventy-two dollars, and gave 6 of them for 7 yards of cloth ; what was a yard of the cloth worth?
28. A man bought 6 barrels of flour for sixty qollars, and gave 4 barrels of it for cider at 5 dollars a barrel; how many barrels did he buy?
Note. The manner of writing numbers with fig. ures has been explained as far as ten. The numbers from ten to one hundred are written as follows :
Ten is written
18 19 20 21 22 23
26 27 23 29 30 31 40 50 60 70
80 90 100
A. 1. Bought 1 half of a yard of cloth for 1 shilling, what would be the price of a yard at the same rate ?
2. If 1 half pint of cherries cost 2 cents, what will a pint cost?
3. If I fourth of a barrel of flour cost 2 dollars, what would a barrel cost ?
4. 2 is 1 half of what number? I fourth of what number!
5. If 1 third of a yard of cloth cost ? dollars, what is that a yard?
6. 2 is 1 third of what number?
7. If 1 third of a yard of cloth cost 3 dollars, what is that a yard?
8. 3 is 1 third of what number?
9. If 1 fourth of a firkin of butter cost 3 dollars, what is that a firkin ?
10. 3 is I fourth of what number?
11. A man bought 1 third of a bushel of wheat for 4 shillings, what would a bushel cost at that rate ?
12. 4 is 1 third of what number?
13. If a man can ride 2 miles in 1 fifth of an hour, how far can he ride in an hour ?
14. 2 is 1 fifth of what number?
15. A man being asked the age of his eldest son, answered that his youngest son who was 3 years old, was just 1 fifth of the age of his eldest son ; how old was the eldest son ?
16. 3 is 1 fifth of what number?
17. A man bought 1 sixth part of a hundred weight of
sugar for 2 dollars, what would a hundred weight cost at the same rate ! 18. 2 is 1 sixth of what number?
19. Bought 1 fifth of a pound of starch for 5 cents, what was that a pound ?
20. 5 is 1 fifth of what number?
21. Bought I fourth of a pound of aquafortis for 6 cents, what was that a pound ?
22. 6 is I fourth of what number?
23. Bought 1 seventh of a hundred weight of cocoa for 4 dollars, what would 1 hundred weight cost at the same rate ?
24. 4 is 1 seventh of what number?
27. 4 is 1 eighth of what number?
B. 1. A man bought some linen and some cotton cloth, for the linen he gave 4 shillings a yard, which was twice as much as he gave for the cotton; what did he give for a yard of the cotton ?
2. 4 is 2 times what number?
3. If 2 thirds of a yard of cloth cost 6 dollars, what would I third cost ?
4. 6 is 2 times what number?
5. If 3 fourths of a barrel of flour cost 6 dollars, what will one fourth of a barrel cost ?
6. 6 is three times what number?
7. If 2 fifths of a pound of chocolate cost 8 cents, what would 1 fifth of a pound cost ?
8. 8 is 2 times what number?
9. If 3 fifths of a pound of candles cost 9 cents, what will 1 fifth of a pound cost ?
10. 9 is 3 times what number?
11. If 2 sevenths of a pound of spermaceti candles cost 10 cents, what will 1 seventh of a pound
12. 10 is 2 times what number !
13. If 5 eighths of a pound of cotton cost 10 sents, what will 1 eighth cost ?
14. 10 is 5 times what number? 15. If 2 thirds of a yard of cloth cost 4 dollars,