« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
5. If 4 yards of cloth cost twelve dollars, what will 2 yards cost 7 6. If 9 apples cost eighteen cents, what will 3 apples cost 7 7. If 3 oranges cost 18 cents, what will 2 cost 7 8. James had twenty-five cents, and he gave 4 fifths of them for 10 apples; how much did he give for all the apples " how much apiece 1 9. A man had thirty dollars, and gave 5 sixths of them for 8 yards of cloth; how much did he give a yard 2 10. A man had forty yards of cloth, and sold 3 fifths of it for twenty-four dollars; what was that a yard 11. A man had forty-two barrels of flour, and sold 2 sevenths of it for 6 dollars a barrel; how much did it come to ? 12. A boy had sixty-three nuts, and divided 4 sevenths of them equally among six of his companions; how many did he give them apiece? 13. If 4 yards of cloth cost twelve dollars, what will 3 yards cost 14. If 5 oranges cost twenty-five cents, what will 3 cost 7 15. If 3 oranges cost fifteen cents, what will 7 cost 7 16. If 3 barrels of cider cost twelve dollars, what will 10 barrels cost 7 17. If 7 pounds of flour cost thirty-five cents, what will.9 pounds cost? 18. If 5 firkins of butter cost forty dollars, what will 3 firkins cost 7 19. If 2 men can do a piece of work in 6 days, how long would it take 4 men to do the same work 1 20. If 6 men can do a piece of work in twelve . in how many days will 3 men do the same Work?
21. If 3 men can do a piece of work in twelve days, in how many days will 4 men do the same work 1 22. If 2 cocks of a certain size will empty a cistern in 6 hours, in how long a time will 3 cocks of the same size empty it ! 23. Three men, setting out on a journey, purchased 5 loaves of bread apiece, but before they had eaten any of it, two other men joined them, and they agreed to share the bread equally among the whole; how many loaves did they have apiece 1 24. If 4 barrels of flour cost twenty-four dollars, what would 7 barrels cost 7 How much cider at 3 dollars a barrel would 7 barrels of flour buy 7 25. A man bought a quantity of flour for fiftyfour dollars; and another man gave him 9 yards of cloth for 5 sixths of it; what was the cloth worth a yard 2. 26. If 9 yards of cloth cost fifty-four dollars, how many boxes of butter at 4 dollars a box, would 5 yards of the same cloth buy 27. Bought 8 firkins of butter for seventy-two dollars, and gave 6 of them for 7 yards of cloth; what was a yard of the cloth worth 28. A man bought 6 barrels of flour for sixty dollars, and gave 4 barrels of it for cider at 5 dollars a barrel; how many barrels did he buy? . Note. The manner of writing numbers with figures has been explained as far as ten. The numbers from ten to one hundred are written as follows: Ten is written - - - - 10
Eleven - - - - - - 11
Seventeen - - - - - 17
A. 1. Bought 1 half of a yard of cloth for 1 shilling, what would be the price of a yard at the
same rate 1
2. If I half pint of cherries cost 2 cents, what
will a pint cost 7
3. If I fourth of a barrel of flour cost 2 dollars, what would a barrel cost 4 4. 2 is 1 half of what number 1 fourth of what
5. If I third of ayard of cloth cost? dollars, what is that a yard 1 6. 2 is 1 third of what number 7 7. If I third of a yard of cloth cost 3 dollars, what is that a yard 7 8. 3 is 1 third of what number 7 9. If I fourth of a firkin of butter cost 3 dollars, what is that a firkin? 10. 3 is 1 fourth of what number? 11. A man bought I third of a bushel of wheat for 4 shillings, what would a bushel cost at that rate? 12. 4 is 1 third of what number 2 13. If a man can ride 2 miles in 1 fifth of an hour, how far can he ride in an hour? 14. 2 is I fifth of what number 7 15. A man being asked the age of his eldest son, answered that his youngest son who was 3 ...; was just 1 fifth of the age of his eldest son; how old was the eldest son 7 o 16. 3 is 1 fifth of what number 1 17. A man bought 1 sixth part of a hundred weight of sugar for 2 dollars, what would a hundred weight cost at the same rate 1 18. 2 is 1 sixth of what number 1 19. Bought 1 fifth of a pound of starch for 5 cents, what was that a pound ! 20. 5 is 1 fifth of what number 2 21. Bought I fourth of a pound of aquafortis for 6 cents, what was that a pound? o 22. 6 is 1 fourth of what number 3 23. Bought I seventh of a hundred weight of cocoa for 4 dollars, what would l hundred weight cost at the same rate 7 24. 4 is 1 seventh of what number 1 25. 7 is I fifth of what number 2 * 26. 5 is I third of what number 2
27. 4 is 1 eighth of what number?
B. l. A man bought some linen and some cotton cloth, for the linen he gave 4 shillings a yard, which was twice as much as he gave for the cotton; what did he give for a yard of the cotton? 2. 4 is 2 times what number 7 3. If 2 thirds of a yard of cloth cost 6 dollars, what would 1 third cost 7 4. 6 is 2 times what number 2 5. If 3 fourths of a barrel of flour cost 6 dollars, what will one fourth of a barrel cost 7 6. 6 is three times what number 1 a 7. If 2 fifths of a pound of chocolate cost 8 cents, what would 1 fifth of a pound cost 3 8. 8 is 2 times what number 1 9. If 3 fifths of a pound of candles cost 9 cents, what will 1 fifth of a pound cost 1 10. 9 is 3 times what number 1
11. If 2 sevenths of a pound of spermaceti can
dles cost 10 cents, what will 1 seventh of a pound