« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
Ans. 3 is 2 times the half of 3; but i half of 3 is 3 halves, or 1 and 1 half;* therefore 3 is 2 times 1 wid i half.
3. If 3 fifths of a yard of cloth cost 4 dollars, what Hill 1 fifth of a yardi cost?
4. 5 is 3 times what number?
5. If 3 sevents of a barrel of pork cost 2 dollarë, what will 1 seventh of a barrel cost?
6. 2 is 3 times what number?
7. If 4 thirds of a bunch of shingles cost 5 dolsars, what does l ihird of a bunch cost?
8. 7 is 4 times what number? 9. 2 is 4 times what number?
10. A man bought 4 ninths of a barrel of flour for three dollars; what would be the price of 1 ninth of a barrel at the same rate ?
11. 5 is 4 times what number? 12. A man bought 5 eighths of a hundred weight of sugar for 6 dollars; what would 1 eighth of a hundred weight cost at the same rate ?
13. 7 is 5 times what number? 14. 3 is 5 times what number? 15. 8 is 5 times what number? 16. 9 is 4 times what number? 17. 11 is 6 times what number? 18. 13 is 7 times what number 19. 14 is 8 times what number? 20. 17 is 5 times what jumber? 21. 18 is 8 times what number? 22. 17 is 9 times what number? 23. 15 is 10 times what number? 24. 20 is 9 times what number? 25. 22 is 10 times what number? 26. 24 is 7 times what number? 27. If 2 thirds of a barrel of beef cost 3 dolları
what will i third of a barre cost? What will the whole barrel cost?
28. *If 5 is 2 thirds of 'some number, what is I third of the same number? 2 and 1 half is 1 third or what number? Then 5 is two thirds of what number?
29. II 3 fourths of a barrel of flour cost 5 dollars, rhat will I fourth of a barrel cost? What will the whole barrel cost?
30. If S is 3 fourths of some number, w! at is 1 fourth of the same number? 2 and 2 thirds is 1 fourth of what number? Then Sis 3 fourths of what number
31. A mau bought 2 sevenths of a barrel of oil for ó dollars; how much will 1 seventh cost at the same fate? how much would'a barrel cost?
32. If 9 is 2 sevenths of some number, what is I serenth of the same number: 4 and 1 half is 1 seventh of what number? Then 3 is 2 serenths of what number
33. Bought 5 eighths of a chaldron of coal for 7 dollars; what is the price of l eighth, at the same rate ? What is the price of the whole chaldron ?
34. If 12 is 5 eighths of some number, what is 1 cighth of the same number? 2 and 2 fifths is 1 eighth of what number? Then 12 is 5 eighths of what number?
35. If a man can do 7 ninths of a piece of work in 4 days, how long would it take him to do 1 ninth of it? How long would it take him to do the whole ?
36. If 3 is rý ninths of sone number, what is 1 vinth of the same number? 3 sevenths is 1 ninth of what number? Thien 3 is y pinths of what number?
37. If 3 fifths of a chaldron of coal cost 8 dollars, what is the whole chaldron worth ?
38. n is 3 fifths of what number?
39. A man bought 6 sevenths of a cask of raisins for 5 dollars; what was the whole cask worth:
40. 8 is ő sevenths of what number?
Ana Santa A B Esan over and following
41. A man had 4 sixths of a week's board for 3 dollars ; how much is that for a whole week?
42. 3 is 5 sixths of what number:
49. A man bough: 5 eighths of a vask of wine for 19 dollars; what would the whole cask cost?
50. 19 is 3 eighths of what number? 51. 21 is 4 fifths of what number?
32. Bought 5 nintlis of a ton of logwood for 23 dollars; what would a ton cost at that rate?
53. 23 is hy ninths of what number? 54. 21 is 3 tenths of what number? 55. 29 is 4 sevenths of what number? 56. 31 is 5 eighths of what number? 57. 33 is 6 sevenths of what number? 58. 38 is 4 ninths of what number?
59. A man bought 1 barrel and 1 seventh of a barrel of wine for 41 dollars; what was that a barrel?
Note. 1 barrel and 1 seventh of a barrel is the scome as 8 sevenths of a barrel. If 8 sevenths of a barrel cost 41 dollars, what does a barrel cost ?
60. 35 is 8 sevenths of what number? 61. A man bought 1 ton and 4 fifths of a ton (that
9 fifths of a ton) of fustic for 43 dollars; what was that a ton ?
62. 52 is 9 fifths of what number?
63. Bought 1 ton and 2 sevenths of a ton of logo wood for 48 dollars; what was that a ton ?
64. 67 is 9 sevenths of what number? 65. 53 is my tenths of what number? 66. 58 is 9 eightlis of what number!
67. 61 is 10 ninths of what number? 68. Bought 2 barrels and 1 fifth of a barrel of gio (that is, 11 fifths of a barrel) for 65 dollars; what was that a barrel ?
69. 65 is 9 fifths of what number?
C. 1. A boy gave away 2 apples and i half, which was 1 fourth of all he had; how many
2. A man gave away 3 dollars, which was 2 fifths all the money he had; how much had he? 3. A man sold a cow for fifteen dollars, which tvas 4 fifths of what she cost him ; how much did ne lose by the bargain?
4. A man sold a piece of cloth for 37 dollars, which was 9 eighths of what it cost him ; how much did he gain by the bargain?
5. There is a pole 3 fifths under water, and 7 fect out of the water; how long is the pole ?
6. A man sold a piece of cloth for 47 dollars, by which bargain he lost 2 ninths of what the cloth cost him ; how much did it cost him, and how much did he lose?
Miscellaneous Examples. 1. If a staff 5 feet long cast a shadow 4 feet at 12 o'clock, what is the length of a pole that casts a shadow 67 feet at the same time?
2. I 53 gallons of water, in 1 hour, run into e cistern containing 97 gallons, and 44 gallons run out in an hour, in what time will it be filled ?
3. A man bought a cask of wine containing 75 gallons ; 2 sevenths of it leaked out, and he sold the remainder for 1 dollar a gallon; how much did he poll it for?
4. A cask of wine cost 67 doHars; what is 5 Lighths of it worth?
5. A man bought 9 oranges for 6 cents and 2 sem enths apiece, and sold them for 67 cents; what did he gain by the bargain?
6. A man bought 10 yards of broadcloth for 70 dollars; how must he sell it per yard in order to gain 14 dollars ?
7. If, when the days are 12 hours long; a man perform a journey in 3 days, how many hours is he in performing it?
8. If a man perform a journey in 36 hours, how many days would he be in performing it, when the lays are 9 hours long?
9. If, when the days are 11 hours long, a man can erform a journey in 5 days, in how many hours wil e perform it? In how many days when the days are - hours long?
10. What number added to 2 fifths of 83 will ake the number 17 ?
11. How many yards of cloth, that is 1 quarter of yard wide, will line 10 yards that is 3 quarters vide ?
12. 8 yards of cloth, that is 1 quarter wide, are qual to how many yards that is 4 quarters wide?
13. How many yards of eloth, that is 3 quarters wide, are equal to 7 yards that is 5 quarters wide ?
14. How many yards of cloth, that is 6 quarters 'de, are equal to 37 that is 4 quarters wide? * 15. If a piece of cloth 5 quarters wide be worth 37 dollars, what is a piece of the same length, 3 quarters wide, worth?
16. If cloth 4 quarters wide is worth 3 dollars a yård, what is 1 yard of the same kind of cloth, that is 5 quarters wide, worth?