« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
did not know how to divide them equally. His brother told him to cut the whole into halves, and then cut each of the 'halves into 3 picces. What part of a whole orange did each have?
72. What is of 21?
73. A man bought 4 bushels of corn for 3 dollars; what part of a dollar did i bushel cost ?
Change the 33 to thirds, and then find t of y as above.
74. What is of 54?
75. If 5 bushels of wheat cost 7 dollars, what is that a pushel?
76. What is of 7*? 77. A man bought 6 gallons of brandy for 87 dok
what was that a gallon ? 78. What is of gą? 79. A man bought 7 gallons of wine for 84 dol
how much was that a gallon ? so, What is of 8?
81. A man bought 10 pieces of nankin for 63 dollars; how much was it a piece?
82. What is ths of 63 ?
83. If 9 bushels of rye cost 7 dollars, what is that a bushel ?
84. What is f of 7?? 85. What is $ of 52? 86. What is of 8? 87. What is of 635? 88. What is į of 94?
89. A man bought 7 yards of cloth for 18 dollars; what was that a yard? What would 8 yards cost at that rate ?
90. What is of 18%? What is of 188?
91. A man bought 5 barrels of cider for 273 dollars; what was it a barrel? What would 7 barrels cost at that rate? 92. What is of 273? What is t of 273?
93. If 6 barrels of flour cost 384 dullors, what would 10 barrels cost at that rate?
94. What is 10 of 394?
B. 1. A man bought a piece of cloth for 427 dollars, and was obliged to sell it for of what it cost him; how much did he lose?
2. A man bought a quantity of flour for 538 dol. lars, and sold it for f of what it cost him; horr inuch did he gain ?
3. If 7 men can do a piece of work in 4 days, how long will it take 1 man to do it? How long will it take 3 men to do it?
4. If 4 men can do a piece of work in 9 days, how long would it take to do it if 7 men were em ployed ?
5. There is a pole standing so that of it is in the water, and as much in the mud; how much is in the mud ?
6. If a man can travel 13% miles in 3 hours, how many miles will he travel in 8 hours ?
7. If 5 horses will eat 267 loads of hay in a year, what will 8 horses eat in the same time?
8. If 4 cocks will empty a cistern in 69 hours, how long will it take 7 cocks of the same size to
A. 1. A BOY, having 2 oranges, wished to give fof an orange apiece to his playmates; how many could he give them to? If he had given of an orange apiece, how many could he have given them to ?
2. How many times I are there in 2? How many, times are there in 2?
3. A man, having 3 bushels of corn, distributed it among some poor persons, giving them of a bushel each; to how many did he give it?
Note. Find first how many he would hove given i to, if he had given of a bushel to each. 4. In 3 are how many times +? How many times ?
5. If şof a barrel of flour will last a family one month, how long will 4 barrels last the same family? How long will 6 barrels last? How long will 10 barrels last ?
6. How many times is contained in 48 How many times in 6? How many times in 10?
7. If of a bushel of wheat will last a family one week, how many weeks will 6 bushels last the same family?
9. How many times is contained in 67? 9. There is a cistern having a 'cock which will fill it in, of an hour; how many times would the cock fill the cistern in 3 hours ?
10. How many times is of contained in 37 ?
11. How much cloth at if dollars (that is, j dollars) a yard can be bought for 4 dollars ?
12. How many times is 1 or contained in 4 ?
13. A man distributed 81 bushels of wheat among some, poor persons, giving 11 bushels to each; how many did he give'it to?
14. How many times is 13 contained in 84? 15. If a soldier is allowed 14 pounds (that is, 4 of pound) of meat in a day, to how many soldiers would 64 pounds be allowed ?
16. How many times is 1f contained in 67 ?
17. If 14 tons of hay will keep a horse through the winter, how many horses will 10 tons keep?
18. How many times is lf contained in 10?
19. At 24 dollars a box, how many boxes of rau Bins can be bought for 10 dollars ?
20. How many times is 2! contained in 10:
21. Atli dollars a pound, hovi many pounds of indigo can be bought for 9g dollars?
22. How many times is 1g contained in 93? 23. At 14 dollars a barrel, how mały barrels of raisius can be bought for 9. doilars ?
24. How many times is 14 contained in 98?
25. At of a dollar a piece, how many pieces of nankin can be bought for 8g dollars ?
26. How many tinies is Ž contained in 88? 27. At f of a dollar a pound, how many pounds of tea can be bought for 75 dollars ?
28. How many times is g contained in 7? 29. How many times is 3 contained in 793 ? 30. How many times is 5 contained in 17? 31. How many times is 4 contained in 93 ? 32. How
many times is 3 contained in 12; ?
B. 1. At it of a dollar a pound, how many pounds of meat can be bought for of a dollar?
Nole. Change to tenths.
3. A man, having of a barrel of fiour, distributed + among some poor persons, giving them of a varrel apiece; how many did he give it to?
Note. Change both fractions to twelfths; that is, reduce them to a common denominator.
4. How many times is te contained in ?
5. If a pound of almonds cost 4 of a dollar, how many pounds can be bought for of a dollar?
Nole. Reduce the fractions to a common doromintor. 6. How
many times is contained in ? 7. If a piece of nankin cost of a dollar, how nany pieces can be bought for 4 dollars that is, 42 dollars ?
B. How many times is contained in 42: 9. If a bushel of barley costs of a dolls how many bushels can be bouglıt for of a dollar? How many for 1f dollars ?