« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
which was I fourth of what he had ; how
many had he?
3. A man paid away 4 dollars, which was 2 wiirde of all the money he had; how much had be:
4. A man sold a watch for 18 dollars, which was 8 fourths of what it cost him; how much did it cost?
5. A man sold a cow for 15. dollars, which was 3 fifths of what the cow cost; how much did he fose by his bargain ?
6. A man bought 12 yards of cloth, and sold it for 54 dollars, which was 9 eighths of what it cost him; what did it cost him a yard i and how much did he gain by his bargain?
7. There is a pole standing in the water, so that 10 feet of it is above the water, which is 2 thirds of the whole length of the pole; how long is the pole
8. There is a polo two thirds under water, and , feet out; how long in the pole?!
9. There is a pole two fifths under water, and a feet out of the water; how long is the pole?
10. There is an orchard, in which 3 sevenths of the trees bear cherries, and 2 sevenths bear peaches and 10 trees bear plums; how many trees are there in the orchard 3 tand how many of each sort?
11. There is a school, in which 2 ninths of the boys learn arithmetic, 3 ninth learn grammar, 1 ninth learn geography, 1 ninth learn geometry, an: 12 learn to write ; how many are there in the school and how many attending to each study?
12. A'man sold a watch for 63 dollars, which was fifths of what it cost him; how much did be gain by the bargaid?
1. Ir 1 yard of cloth cost 4 dollars, waai will 5 yards cost?
2. A man bought 3 pounds of raisins, at 7 cents & pound, and 16 oranges, at 4 cents apiece, and 1 pound of candles for 16 cents; what did they all come to? 1
3. A boy had 37 apples; he kept five himself, and divided the rest equally among
four companions; how many did he give them apiece?
4. Two men are 40 miles apart, and both travelling the same way; the hindermost man gains upon the other 5 miles each day; in how many days will he overtake him ? **
5. Two men are travelling the same way ; one travels at the rate of 38 miles a day; the other, who is behind the former, travels 44 miles; how much does he gain of the first each day and in how many days would he gain 60 miles? 19
6. A fox is 80 rods before a greyhound, and is running at the rate of 27 rods in a minute; the greyhound is following at the rate of 31 rods in a minute; in how many minutes will the greyhound overtake the fox ?
7. If 2 yards of cloth cost 6 dollars, what would 4 yards cost? what would 12 yards cost?
8. If 8 sheep cost 24 dollars, what would 3 cost ?
9. If 4 tons of hay will keep 3 horses through the winter, how many tons will keep 30 borses the same time ?
10. If a man spends 8 shillings a day, how many Qollars will be spend in a week?
11. Bought 10 pieces of cloth, eaca containing yards, for 100 dollars; what was it a piece ?
dage how mueh a yard i
12. I tho #ages of 12 weeks come to 60 dola lars, what is that a month and how much for 5 weeks?
. 13. If 7 horses eąt 14 bushels of oats in 1 week, how many bushels would 15 horses eat in the same uime?
14. If 3 horses eat 8 bushels of oats in 2 weeks bow long would it take them to eat 40 bushels ?
15. If i horse eat 1 bushel of oats in 3 days, in how many days would 4 horses eat 36 bushels .
16. If 2 men spend 12 dollars in 1 week, how many dollars would 3 men, at the same rate, spend in 5 weeks?
17. If a staff 3 feet long cast a shadow of 2 feet at 12 o'clock, what is the length of a pole that casta a shadow 18 feet at the same time of day?
18. If 47 gallons of water, in 1 hour, min into cistern containing 108 gallons, and by a pipe 38 gal lons run out in an hour, how much remains in the cistern in an hour ? and in how many hours will the :istern be filled ? ...
19. If 4 men can do a piece of work in 8 days how many men would it take to do the same work in 4 days?
20. "Ir 6 men can do a piece of work in 9 days, in how many days would 2 men do it?
21. If 8 men can do a piece of work in 5 days, in how many days would they do a piece of work times as large ?
22. If 7 men can do a piece of work in 3 days, how many men would it take to do a piece of work 8 times as large in the same time?
23. If 8 men can do a piece of work in 4 days, iu how many days would 3 men do a piece of work de hall as large? 24. A man bought a cask of wine containing 63 ons, 8 sovenths of which leaked out; and he
kold the remainder for 36 dollars; bow much per gallon did he sell-it for?
25 If a cask of wine cost 48 dollars, what is 8 eighths of it worth ?
26. A man bought 7 oranges for 6 cents apiece, and sold them all for 54 cents; how much did he gain by the bargain?
27. A man bought 8 yards of cloth for 56 dok lans, and sold it again for 9 dollars a yard; how much did he gain by the bargain ?
??? 28. A man bought 8 barrels of flour for 40 dollars; how much must be sell it åt per barrel to gain 16 dollars ?
29. A man bought five firkins of butter at y dois lars å firkin ; how must he sell it per firkin to gain 10 dollars?
30, Ainan gave 35 cents for his breakfast, which ivas 5 eighths of what he gave for his dinner; what did he give for his dinner?
31. Å ship's crew of 6 men have provision for 3 months ; how many months would it last 1 man? .
32. A ship's crew have provision sufficient to last 1 man 27 months; how long would it last 9 zen?
33. A ship's crew have provision sufficient to last 3 men 10 months; how long would it last 5 men?
34. A man built 40 rods of wall in a certain time another man can build 9 rods while the first buildi B; how much would he build in the same time?
SECTION VII: If the combinations in this section should be founa 200 difficult, they may be omitted until reviewing the book.
M. 1. A man, being asked the age of his eldege son, answered, that his young 1 son was six year: old, and that 2 thirds of the youngest son's age was just 1 fifth of the eldest son's age. Required the age of the eldest son. 2. 2 thirds of 6 is 1 fifth of what number?
3. A man, being asked how many sheep he had, said that he had them in two pastures; in one pasfure he bad eight; and that 3 fourths of these was iust 1 third of what he had in the other. How many were there in the other?
4. 3 fourths of 8 is I third of what number?
5. Two boys talking of their ages, one said he was 9 years
old. Well, said the other, 2 thirds of your age is exactly 3 fourths of my age, now, if you will tell me how old I am, I will give you as manv apples as I am years old. What was his age ?
6. 2 thirds of 9 is 3 fourths of what number?
7. Two boys counting their money, one said he had ten cents. The other says, 4 fifths of your money is exactly 2 sevenths of mine; now, if will tell how many I have, I will give you l half of them. How many had he?
8. 4 fifths of 10 is 2 sevenths of what number? 9. 5 sixths of 12 is 2 thirds of what number? 10. 6 sevenths of 14 is 4 ninths of what number? 11. 6 fifths of 15 is 2 thirds of what number? 12. 7 ninths of 18 is 2 fifths of what number? 13. 4 fifths of 2n is 8 sevenths of what number? 14. 8 sevenths of 21 is 6 tenths of what number?
15. 5 sixths of 24 is 10 sevenths of how many times 5?
16. 3 sevenths of 28. 2 eighths of how many imes 7?
17. 4 fifths of 30 is 6 sevenths of how many times 8?
18. 6 eighths of 32 in ninths of how many times 57