« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
Eight thousands, eight hundreds.
Seven hundred and sixty-eight thousands, eight hun. dreds and four.
Four billions, twenty millions, ten thousands and fifty.
Nine billions, ninety millions, eighty thousands, and seventy-eight.
Sixty-five millions, and four hundreds.
Three hundred and sixty-four thousands, seven hun. dred and thirty-eight.
Forty millions, four hundred and four.
12. Ten millions, four hundreds. Seventy-six thousands, three hundred and twenty-one.
Eight millions, forty-two thousands, six hundred and seventy-three.
One thousand, four hundred.
NOTE TO TEACHERS. If any teacher prefers the com. mon mode of classification and arrangement, the other Simple Rules can be introduced here before commencing Decimal Addition. They will be found at pp. 83, 94, 124 and 154.
Place figures of the same order under each other. Add each column, as in simple Addition, and in the answer place a separatrix between the orders of units and tenths.
EXAMPLE. What is the sum of 234,406 ! 4,6490? 13,234 ? 2,2! 3650,4002? 999,4699 ?
Placing units of the same order under each other, they stand thus ?
2,2 3650,4002 999,4699
4904,3591 Let the pupils proceed as in Simple Addition, calling the names of each order, thus:
9 tens of thousandths added to 2, are 11 tens of thou. sandths ; which is 1 ten of thousandths, to be written un. der that order; and one of the order of thousandths, to be carried to that order.
1 thousandth carried to 9, is 10, and 4 are 14, and 9 are 23, and 6 are 29 thousandths; which is 9 thousandths, to be written under that order, and 2 hundredths, to be carried to the next order.
Thus through the other orders, observing to place a separatrix between the orders of units and tenths.
Arrange the following mixed decimals according to their orders, and then add them.
(1) 306,42001. 20,3391. 3246,42, 39,4695, 634,001. 84,6302.
What is the rule for. Decimal Addition ?
(2) 99,987. 65432,02564. 64,65. 596,82.
87632,51739. 36,50. 51639,2154.
(3) 63,204. 6359,42591. 8642,39. 86423,2915. 68,241.
63,9876. 59432,1103. 95,02. 876,3254. 8634,251. 3426,549.
EXERCISES FOR OLDER PUPILS. Let the pupil write and add the following sums in Decimals, remembering to place units of the same order under each other.
Six units, five tenths, seven hundredths, four thousandths, three tenths of thousandths. One unit, three tenths.
2. Forty-two units; sixteen thousandths. Five units ; sixty-three hundredths of thousandths.
Seventy-four units ; seven thousand five hundred and fifty-three tenths of thousandths. Two units ; five hundred and sixty tenths of thousandths.
3. Two hundred and forty-three units ; two hundred and forty-three thousandths.
Seventeen units, nine hundred and seventy-three tenths of thousands.
Fifty units ; six thousand seven hundred and forty-three hundredths of thousandths.
Five units; eight thousandths.
4. One thousand and one units; one thousand and one hundredths of thousandths.
Nine hundred and ninety-nine units ; nine thousand nine hundred and thirty hundredths of thousandths.
Four units; thirty tenths of thousandths.
Two units; forty-five hundredths of thousandths.
Seven units ; nine hundred and ninety-eight tenths of thousandths. Six units; five hundred and forty-nine millionths.
6. Four thousand units ; four thousand tenths of thousandths. Forty-one units; four thousand, four hundred and nine hundredths of thousandths.
Seven units; eighty-seven tenths of thousanths.
7. Seventeen units ; nine thousand eight hundred and sixty hun. dredths of thousandths.
Nine units ; sixteen tenths of thousandths.
8. Five hundred and forty-four units ; eight thousand seven hundred and fifty-five millionths.
Ninety-nine units ; four hundred hundredths of thousandths.
Four hundred and twelve units ; seventy-five tenths of thou. sandths.
10. Seventy-eight units; four thousand and five tenths of thousandths.
Two units ; five hundred hundredths of thousandths.
Five hundred and seventy-two units ; seventy-six thousand, eight hundred and sixty-four hundredths of thousandths. Nine thousand and fifty units; nine thousand and fifty millionths.
11. Five hundred and eighty-seven units; twenty-nine hundred tenths of thousandths.
Forty units; five hundred and sixteen millionths.
Five hundred and forty-two units; two thousand hundredths of thousandths.
Seventeen units; nine thousand nine hundred hundredths of thousandths.
12. Sixty-five units; sixty-five hundredths of thousandths.
One hundred and eighty units, one hundred and eighty tenths of thousandths.
Twenty-four units ; twenty-four millionths.
13. One hundred and seventy-six units; one hundred and seventy-six hundredths of thousandths.
Four units; two thousand four hundred and seventy-five tenths of thousandths.
Eighty-four units; seven hundred and sixty-three millionths.
Two hundred units; two thousand and forty tenths of thousandths. Seventeen units ; four thousand and four millionths.
14. Seventy.four units; nine hundred and eighty millionths. Four units; four hundredths of thousandths.
Eighty-one units; nine thousand four hundred hundredths of thousandths.
One unit; ninety thousand and one millionths.