« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
PRACTICAL, QUESTIONS IN DIVISION.
1. 2. 3.
From 17317 take 3429, and divide the remainder by 17 70346 x 7034 – 1793 + 42. -From 5000 take 25, and divide the remainder by the
Divide 64187 by 999.
If a man travels 435 miles in 35 days, how many miles
must he travel per day, and how many miles will he have for the last day's journey?
If an army of 5600 men are provided with 280,000lbs
of bread; how many rations of 14 ounces each, will it make for each man?
what is that per week for each man?
\is the average price of each barrel P
17. If a court yard be 43 long, and contains 1075 square * feet; what is the breadth ; 18. If in a printed book there is 528750 letters, in each
line 50 letters, and in each page 45 lines; how many pages in said book?
What-number multiplied by 15 times 25, will produce
the square of 75?
20.. The planet Mercury goes round the Sun in 88 days; how many revolutions of Mercury are equal to 52 of our years, if each contained 365+ days?
21. What is the difference between the fifteenth part of 120,000l. and the twelfth of 69600!?
22. If 20,000l was - divided between 18 persons; what would be the share of each? 23. How many weeks are in 5824 days? 24. How much per day may a man spend, whose annual income is 2,6281, and save yearly 2001?
25. Suppose a pint to contain 9000 grains of wheat, how many barrels of corn in one billion of grains, and if 9 barrels be produced on an acre; how many acres would produce that number of grains 2
26. How many £ in 1677215 farthings:
27. How many bank notes eight inches long, would reach round the circumference of the earth, supposing it to be 25200 English miles?
28. How many English miles are equal to 11 Irish miles?
29. Suppose an acre of ground to produce 9 barrels of wheat; how many acres would produce 341730 barrels P
30. How many tons in 411420.1 drams?
38. In 29040 farthings; how many pence, shillings, crowns and pounds; 5 shillings being a crown?
,39. In 162435 pence; how many guineas P 40. In 4310832 pounds; how many ct, qrs. and lbs. long weight? 41. In 4864 cwt.; how many tons 42. In 6342 quarters; how many cwt. P 43. In 36541084 drams; how many tons?
44. In 641520 quarters of a yard; how many yards, ells English, ells Flemish, and French ells P
45. In 6410423 inches; how many Irish miles?
46. How many signs and degrees in 5406 minutes of the Ecliptic?
47 . In 45180 stone; how many bags of wheat, each containing one barrel, five stone
48. In 641942 lbs. ; how many barrels, stones, and poundsof wheat P 49. In 483104 lbs of barley; how many barrels, stones and pounds? . In 47712391 pounds of oats; how many barrels, stones and pounds? 51. In 64340 square yards; how many acres? 52. In 31419600 lines; how many English miles, and how many Irish miles? - : . . 53. From 641 3s 7#d take 3 times 31 5s 103d, and divide the remainder by 15. - * 54. If 411bs of tea cost 16l. 8s 4d; what is the price of one pound? . . - - 55. If 21 yards linen cost 21 4s 7#d, what is that pryard 2 56. In 106756 grains of silver; how many lbs 57. In 2858350 ounces; how many hundreds, &c.? 58. In 1233600 lb ; how many tons, &c.? 59. Out of 6ct 24rs and 201b of tea; how many canisters may be filled, each to hold 11 pounds : 60. In 180600lbs of sugar; how many hlids, each to contain 103 cwt. - 61. In 1096} cwt. of indigo; how many chests, each to contain 2+ cwt. 2 - 62. In 565810 grains; how many lbs Troy 2: 63. In 27160 English ells; how many yards : 64. In 493550 nails; how many yards, qrs and nails? 65. In 11404800 inches; how many yards 2 66. How many English miles, and how many Irish miles are in 8070400 feet?. 67. How many geographical miles between London and Pekin, in China, the distance suppose 5040 English miles, a degree being 60 geographical miles 2 68. In how many steps, each 2 feet 8 inches, may a person walk one English mile 7 69, If 10lbs of tobacco cost ll 13s. 9d; what is that perfb? 70. If 11ct of merchandize cost 22, 14s 8d; what is that per cwt. P 71. If 16 moydores are worth 23. 8s; what is the val. of 1 : 72. If 20 cwt cheese cost 38l 13s 4d ; what is that percwt? 73. If 47 yds of diaper cost 3, 12s 5%d; what is that pryd? 74. If 24 cwt. of hops cost 104! 12s; what is that prewt?
75. What are coals per ton, if 89 ton cost 118 13s 4d 76. If 123 doz of candles cost 68lls 3d what is that priozł 77. If 60}lbs cost 71 3s 8+d; what is that per lb 2 78. If 643 tons hay cost 33412s 0d; what is that per ton: 79. If 145% gallons of brandy cost 1491 9s 10}d; what is that per gallon 2 80. If 804 yards of broadcloth cost 96l 12s; what is that per yard 2 81. If my yearly income be 113t 15s; what is that per day? 82. Suppose I have cleared by trade in 134 years, 4894! 2s 33d ; what is the average yearly increase of my property? 83. Divide 99ct 14r 7lb 6oz by 7. 84. . If I have 500 cwt. of tobacco ; how many hbds may be filled, each to contain 8ct 101 211b: 85, . If the yearly rent of 69% acres be 1541 2s. 3d; how much is that per acre 2 86. If on the whole earth there are 820 millions of people, and that each person could stand on 14 square feet; how many Irish square miles would hold them all? 87. Bought 2150 barrels of wheat, which cost me 43141 13s 4d ; if the same has reduced in preparing 105 barrels, what doth the remainder stand me in per barrel? 88. A person by will left 15000l, one-fourth thereof to his eldest son, one-fifth thereof to his second son, and the remainder to be divided between 3 other children, share and share alike ; what was the share of each 2 89. Suppose two men purchase at auction, tobacco, to the value of 5471, and wt. 57ct 1 q 141b ; one put in or of the money, and the other the remainder; how much must each pay, and what weight is each to receive 2 90. Bought 5 hlids of tallow, wt. gross 74ct 14r 21 lbs, but the brands being defaced, I agree to take them, on being allowed 141b per cwt; how much is the neat weight?” 91. How many yards can I buy for 24l at 6s per yard P 92. How many lbs of tea can I buy for 614s at 8s per Ib Pt
* 90. From the gross weight subtract one-eighth part thereof, the remainder is neat weight, because 141b are of one cwt. .
f 91. This question, and all similar ones, where the price to yard,
fh, to cwt is even shillings, may be easily resolved, by considerin ihat 20s make a pound sterl. the half of which is 10s; therefore, ad a cipher to the total price, and divide by half the price of one yard, h, cwt, &c.
93 How many cwt of starch can Ibuy for 401 at 36s prewt? 94. How many cwt of cheese can I buy for 1611, at 46s prewt? 95. How many yds of linen may be had for 291, at 4s pryd? 96. How many yards of cloth may be bought for 204 at 12s. per yard? 97. Divide 1242l 16s 8d between 9 men and 12 women, and give each man twice as much as each woman? 98. If one. cwt. of hops cost 91 1s 4d ; what are they per Ib.? 99. If 7lbs of silver cost 21 guineas Irish money; what is the price of one ounce? 100. Bought 1650 barrels of barley, which stand me in 1542l 15s 0d, it has reduced in preparing 102 barrels; I have sold of the remainder 900 barrels, at the rate of 11 5s per barrel; what doth what I have on hands, stand me in per barrel ? 101. Bought goods to the amount of 1841. I7s 5d ; how many guineas will discharge this debt?” 102. In a park containing 545 Irish acres, how many English acres?t * 103. In 147a 2r 20p British statute measure; how many acres Irish plantation measure?
104. In a farm there is 66 Irish acres; how many English acres therein P
105. Suppose the distance from Limerick to Dublin is 94' miles; how many English miles in the same distance?
106. Received invoice of iron, wt. 194 ton, 14ct 34rs 141b; how many ton long weight am I to be charged for freight?
107. With what mumber of sovereigns may I pay a debt of 395 guineas P
* 101. Bring £134! 17s 5d to pence, and divide by 273, the number of pence in one guinea, the remainder, if any, is pence. t 102, Multiply the given number of Irish acres by 196, and divide by 121 (see page §§ 105. Multiply the given Irish miles by 14, and divide by 11, 106. Bring the given short weight to b, and divide by 30, 4 and 20, , 107. Multiply the given number of guineas by 21, and divide by 20, the remainder, if any, is pieces of 13 pence each, 108. Multiply 2050 by 54, the number of pence in a Spanish dollar, o: divide by 273, the number of pence in a guinea, remainder, if any, Ince,