« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
8. A man, having undertaken to do a piece of work, did } of it the first day, ļof it the second day, and t of it the third day; how much of it did he do in three days?
9. A man having a piece of work to do, hired two men and a boy to do it. The first man could do of the work in a day, and the other 1 of it, and the boy [ of it; how much of it would they all do in a day?
C. It will be seen, by looking on Plate III. that
1. Reduce & to its lowest terms.* Ans. $.
will be seen by the above section, that, 40
numerator and denominator be multisame number, the value of the fraction
altered; or, if they can both be divided Ban!
ne number without a remainder, the fracnot be altered. s article should be found too difficult for the pupil, he may I after the next section.
A. 1. A boy, having of an orange, gave away ! of that; what part of the whole orange did he give away?
2. What is 4 of 1?
3. If you cut an apple into three pieces, and then cut each of those pieces into two pieces, how many pieces will the whole apple be cut into ? What part of the whole apple will one of the pieces be?
4. What is of į?
5. A boy had l of a pine-apple, and cut that half into three pieces, in order to give away of it. What part of the whole apple did he give away. ?
6. What is of } ?
7. If an orange be cut into 4 parts, and then each of the parts be cut in two, how many pieces will the whole be cut into?
8. What is 1 of 1 ?
9. A man, having 4 a barrel of flour, sold of that; how much did he sell?
10. What is 1 of 1?
11. If an orange be cut into 4 equal parts, and each of those parts be cut into 3 equal parts, ho many parts will the whole orange be cut into?
12. "What is ļof £?
13. A boy, having of a quart of che gave away of what he had. What part of whole quart did he give away?
14. What is I of 1? 15. What is I of ?
16. A man, owning 4 of a ship, sold f of his shar what part of the ship did he sell, and what part d) he then own?
17. What is ļof ? 18. What is į of į?
We waat will
19. What is
22. What is ve away
23. What is d he gire
24. What is of ?
26. What is
23. What is 1 of 1? That part
29. A boy, having of an orange, (that is, 2 pieces,) gave his sister of what he had; how many thirds did he give her ?
30. What is 1 of ? ?
31. A boy, having of a pine-apple, said he would give one half of what he had to his sister, if she could tell how to divide it. His sister says, You have got , or three pieces; if you cut them all in two, you can give me 1 of them. But 1 of 1 is ; therefore I shall have of the whole pine-apple.
32. What is 1 of ? t of 33. A man, owning of a share in the Boston
Bank, sold of his part; what part of a share did he sell ? .
34. What is of f?
35. A man, owning of a ship, sold of his share; what part of the whole ship did he sell ? What part had he left?
36. What is 1 of ?
42. A man, owning of a share in the Boston Bank, sold of his part; what part of a whole share did he sell ?
43. What is of ? 44. What is of ?
45. A boy, having of a water-melon, wished to divide his part equally between his sister, his bro ther, and himself, but was at a loss to know how to do it; but his sister advised him to cut each of the fifths into 3 equal parts. How many pieces did each have? and what part of the whole melon was each piece ?
46. What is 4 of 4 ?
71. A boy had 24 oranges, and wished to give of them to his sister, and to his brother; but he
did not know how to divide them equally. His bro
ther told him to cut the whole into halves, and melon me then cut each of the halves into 3 pieces. What tot is part of a whole orange did each have ?
72. What is į of 21 ? within 73. A man bought 4 bushels of corn for 3 dolcut each o Som lars; what part of a dollar did 1 bushel cost?
Change the 3 to thirds, and then find # of y ai above.
74. What is 3 of 5?
75. If 5 bushels of wheat cost 72 dollars, what is that a bushel ?
76. What is ļof 7?
77. A man bought 6 gallons of brandy for 87 dollars; what was that a gallon?
78. What is t of 8??
79. A man bought 7 gallons of wine for 84 dol- · lars; how much was that a gallon ?
80. What is 4 of 84 ?
81. A man bought 10 pieces of nitekin for 63 dollars; how much was it a piece?
82. What is to of 63?
83. If 9 bushels of rye cost 7 dollars, what is that a bushel ?
84. What is t of 7? ?
89. A man bought 7 yards of cloth for 18 dollars; what was that a yard? What would 3 yards cost at that rate ?
90. What is of 182 ? What is of 188 ? '
91. A man bought 5 barrels of cider for 27 dol- . lars; what was it a barrel ? What would 7 barrels cost at that rate? 92. What is of 273? What is } of 27?