« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
81. Reduce ļ and and to a common denominator.
82. Add together and .
B. 1. Mr. F. said he would give 4 of a pine-apple to Fanny, and to George, and the rest to the one that could tell how to divide it, and how much there would be left. But neither of them could tell ; so he kept it himself. Could you have told, if you had been there? How would you divide it? How much would be left?
2. A man sold 11 bushels of wheat to one man, -43 bushels to another; how many bushels did he sell to both ?
3. A man bought 6,4 bushels of wheat at one time, and 24 at another; how much did he buy in the whole ?
4. A man bought 7} yards of one kind of cloth, and 6 yards of another kind; how many yards in the whole?
5. A man bought of a barrel of beer at one time, 2 barrels at another, and 64 at another; how much did he buy in the whole?
6. A man bought one sheep for 4 dollars, and another for 53 dollars; how much did he give for both?
7. There is a pole standing, so that of it is in the mud, and ß of it in the water, and the rest out of the water; how much of it is out of the water ?
many bushels can be bought for of a dollar ? How many for 1 dollar ?
10. How many times is contained in Z? How many times in 15 ?
11. How many times is contained in ?
IBLES OF COINS, WEIGHTS, AND MEASURES.
Table 1.–FedERAL MONEY.
moje os con
at one buy in
farthings, q. make 1 penny.
1 pound. shillings
4 quarters make 1 hundred weight. cwt. 20 hundred weight« 1 ton.
Table V.-Cloth MEASURE. 21 inches make 1 nail. 4 nails
1 quarter of a yard. 4 quarters
1 yard. 3 quarters
1 ell Flemish. 5 quarters
1 ell English. 6 quarters
1 aune, or ell French.
For con dars to cal and every hours' ove bissextile ruary.
The Cor which are cause they
The na days in ea
Table VI.-Wine MEASURE. 4 gills make
I pint. 2 pịnts
1 quart. 4 quarts
1 gallon. 314 gallons
1 barrel. 63 gallons
gal. bar. hd.
Winter. Autuma. Summer. Spring. Winter.
micro silocinco oo
2 pints make I quart... 8 quarts
1 peck. 4 pecks
i bushel. Table VIII.—MEASURE OF TIME. 30 seconds, sec. make . 1 minute. 1 minutes
1 hour. hours
1 day. days
1 week. weeks
1 month. inonths 1 day and
hours, or 365 66 1 year.
and 6 hours )
o corte For convenience of reckoning, it is usual in calen
dars to call the year 365 days for 3 successive years,
V which are sometimes called calendar months, be-
The names of the months, and the number of
Number of days.
4. April ....
8. August .....
10. October ......
... nuruutu. Summer. Spring. Winter.
12. December .....
h, in 2 pounds how many ounces?
3 quarters of a yard how many nails ?
sw many farthings is of a penny?
a yard is how many quarters and nails 7
lat, ulticion ded
8. In # £. how many shillings? 9. How much is 4 of a shilling? 10. How much is of a bushel of wheat ?
11. How much would g of a barrel of wine cost, at one dollar a gallon ?
12. How much would j cwt. of sugar cost, at 8 cents a pound?
13. How much is of a day?
17. How much would of a hogshead of wine cost, at 2 dollars a gallon ?
18. If a man spend 28 dollars in a month, what is that a week? How much a day?
19. If a man spend 16 dollars a week, what is that a day ?
20. If a man buy 4 bushels of grain for 5 dollars, how much is that a bushel ?
21. If wine is 2 dollars a gallon, how much is that a pint ?
22. If you give 5 cents a gill for wine, what is that a pint? What is it a quart? What is it a gallori ?
23. If wine is worth 20 cents a pint, what is that a gill? What is it a quart? What is it a gallon ?
24. If a yard of cloth is worth 7 dollars, what are 23 yards worth?
25. If a man earn 11 dollars a week, what is that a day? What for 3 days? What for 41 days ?
26. If a man earn 2 dollars in a day, what will he earn in a week?
27. What is of a hogshead of wine ? 28. 1 farthing is what part of a penny? 29. 2 farthings is what part of a penny ? 9. 3 farthings is what part of a penry?
1 penny is what part of a shilling ?