« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
B. 1. A boy, having twelve apples, kept 1 fourth of them himself, and divided the other 3 fourths of them equally among 4 of his companions; how many did he give them apiece ?
2. 3 fourths of twelve are how many times 4 ?
3. A man, having fourteen bushels of grain, divided 5 sevenths of it equally among 3 men; how much did he give them apiece?
4. 5 sevenths of fourteen are how many times 3 ? • 5. A man, having fifteen shillings, gave away 4 Gifths of it; how many dollars did he give away ?
6. 4 fifths of fifteen are how many times 6 ?
7. A man, having twenty-one cents, paid away 6 sevenths of them for oranges at 5 cents apiece; how many oranges did he buy?
8. 6 sevenths of twenty-one are how many times 5?
o one another
4. I a yard
9. A man bought a piece of cloth for twenty-four shillings, and sold it again for 5 thirds of what he gave for it; how many dollars did he sell it for?
10. 5 thirds of twenty-four are how many times 6?
11. 7 fifths of twenty are how many times 6?
12. 5 sevenths of thirty-five are how many times 8?
13. 7 sixths of thirty-six are how many times 5?
14. 9 sevenths of forty two are how many times 8?
15. 7 ninths of forty-five are how many times 6?
20. 7 sixths of sixty are how many times 8?
22. 10 eighths of sixty-four are how many times
Peighths of seventy-two are how many times dol la 4 sevenths of eighty-four are how many times
.7 tenths of ninety are how many times 8?
L . 1. Charles had 6 apples, and gave I third of
m to John; how many did he give him ? 2. Albert had 9 cents, and spent 2 thirds of thein ; gw many had he left? / 3. James had 10 pears, and gave 1 half of them bo one of his companions, and 2 fifths of them to another ; how many did he give away?
4. If 3 yards of cloth cost 6 dollars, what is tha sa yard ?
5. If 4 yards of cloth cost twelve dollars, what will 2 yards cost ?
6. If 9 apples cost eighteen cents, what will 3 apples cost ?
7. If 3 oranges cost 18 cents, what will 2 cost?
8. James had twenty-five cents, and he gave 4 fifths of them for 10 apples; how much did he give for all the apples ? how much apiece?
9. A man had thirty dollars, and gave 5 sixths of them for 8 yards of cloth; how much did he give a yard ?
10. A man had forty yards of cloth, and sold 3 fifths of it for twenty-four dollars; what was that a
11. A man had forty-two barrels of flour, and sold 2 sevenths of it for 6 dollars a barrel; how much did it come to?
12. A boy had sixty-three nuts, and divided 4 sevenths of them equally among six of his companions; how many did he give them apiece?
13. If 4 yards of cloth cost twelve dollars, what will 3 yards cost?
14. If 5 oranges cost twenty-five cents, . maxill 3 cost?
15. If 3 oranges cost fifteen cents, wł g'?
16. If 3 barrels of cider cost twelv will 10 barrels cost?
17. If 9 pounds of flour cost thir . what will 9 pounds cost ?
18. If 5 firkins of butter cost forty do thel will 3 firkins cost?
19. If 2 men can do a piece of work in how long would it take 4 men to do th work?
20. If 6 men can do a piece of work in t days, in how many days will 3 men do thr work ?
21. If 3 men can do a piece of work in twelve days, in how many days will 4 men do the same work ?
22. If 2 cocks of a certain size will empty a cistern in 6 hours, in how long a time will 3 cocks of the same size empty it ?
23. Three men, setting out on a journey, purchased 5 loaves of bread apiece, but before they had eaten any of it, two other men joined them, and they agreed to share the bread cqually among the whole; how many loaves did they have apiece? .
24. If 4 barrels of flour cost twenty-four dollars, what would 7 barrels cost? How much cider, at 3 dollars a barrel, would 7 barrels of flour buy?
25. A man bought a quantity of flour for fiftyfour dollars; and another man gave him 9 yards of cloth for 5 sixths of it; what was the cloth worth a yard ?
26. If 9 yards of cloth cost fifty-four dollars, how many boxes of butter, at 4 dollars a box, would 5 yards of the same cloth buy?
27. Bought 8 firkins of butter for seventy-two dollars, and gave 6 of them for 7 yards of cloth; what was a yard of the cloth worth?
28. A man bought 6 barrels of flour for sixty dollars, and gave 4 barrels of it for cider at 5 dollars a barrel; how many barrels did he buy?
Note. The manner of writing numbers with fig. ures has been explained as far as ten. The numbers from ten to one hundred are written as follows:
Ten is written ..............10
A. 1. Bought I half of a yard of cloth for 1 shilling; what would be the price of a yard at the same rate ?
2. If 1 half pint of cherries cost 2 cents, what will a pint cost ?
3. If 1 fourth of a barrel of flour cost 2 dollars, what would a barrel cost ?
4. 2 is 1 half of what number ? 1 fourth of what number?