« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
9. A man having of a cord of wood, gave away of that, and sold the rest; what part of a cord did he give away? What part did he sell? 10. What is 11. Which is 12. What is of ? 3 of 4 ? 13. A merchant owning of his share; what part of the ship did he sell? What part did he keep?
of 4? the most,
of, or of ?
of a ship, sold
of 14 ?
14. What is of 1?
17. What is of ?
Solution. If of a melon is cut into 2 equal parts, each
of is, then
of his share;
19. A man owning of a ship, sold what part of the whole ship did he sell?
20. A girl having picked of a pailful of blueberries, spilled of them; what part of a pailful did she spill?
of what he
21. A boy having of a dollar, lost had; what part of a dollar did he lose? 22. What is of 2? of? 4 of 1? 23. What is of ? of? To of Z? 24. What is of IT ? of? of 1⁄2? 25. A boy having of a pear, gave away of what he had; what part of a whole pear did he give away? Solution. ofis; therefore, of is; and if ofis, then of is 2 times, which are 1%; therefore, he gave away of the whole pear.
26. Charles had of a dollar, and gave of that for a knife; what part of a dollar did the knife cost?
27. If a yard of lace is worth of a dollar, what are of a yard worth?
28. What cost of a bushel of corn, at of a dollar per bushel?
29. A man owning of a ship, sold what part of the whole ship did he sell? did he keep?
of his share; What part
30. If a boy can pick of a bushel of chestnuts in a day, what part of a bushel can he pick in of a day?
31. If a man can reap & of an acre of wheat in a day, what part of an acre can he reap in § of a day? Solution. In of a day he can reap of §, which is of an acre; and in § of a day he can reap 5 times }, which are, of an acre.
32. What cost 3 of a bushel of butternuts, at of a dollar per bushel?
33. What cost of a bushel of corn, at 2 of a dollar per bushel?
34. If a man can mow of an acre of grass in an hour, what part of an acre can he mow in of an hour?
35. If a dozen of oranges are worth 14 of a dollar, what are of a dozen worth?
36. At 1 of a dollar per day, what will a man earn in of a day? 37. If a boy learns
of his lesson in an hour, what part of it does he learn in & of an hour? 38. At of a dollar per rod, what will it cost to build of a rod of fence?
42. What is of ? 2 of #
39. A man owning of a ship, sold of his share; how many thirds of the ship did he sell? 40. What is of } ? 41. A man owning of a farm, sold 4 of his share ; what part of the farm did he sell? What part did he keep?
43. What is
45. What is 46. What is 47. What is of Solution. of is 1.
48. What is of 3 of 3 of ‡ of § of § of } of § ? 49. A girl wishing to divide of a pineapple equally among her 3 brothers, was at a loss to know how to divide it. At length she decided to cut each of the fifths into 3 equal parts; how many pieces did she give each of the boys? What part of the pineapple was each piece?
50. The girl mentioned in the above example could have made a better division of the ‡ of a pineapple; can you tell how? By your plan, how many pieces would you give to each boy? What would be the size of the pieces?
is 1; 1 of 2 is
; therefore, of
1. If a barrel of apples cost 24 dollars, what will of a barrel cost?
2. What is of 21?
Solution.of 2 is 1; ofis ; therefore, of 24 is 1.
3. If 3 barrels of flour cost $213, what is the price per barrel?
4. What is of 213?
5. A lady divided 83 pounds of maple sugar equally among her 4 children; how much did she give to each?
6. What is 4 of 83?
7. A boy divided 24 oranges equally among his brother, his sister, and himself; what part of an orange did each have?
8. What is of 21?
Solution. 2 are the same as §, and of is t ; therefore, of 2 is .
9. If 4 gallons of molasses cost $33, what does 1 gallon cost?
10. What is of 33?
11. If 6 bushels of oats cost $33, what is the price per bushel?
12. What is 13. Paid $72 pay for 1 yard?
14. What is
of 3% ?
for 10 yards of cloth; what did I
15. Bought 12 bushels of corn for $11; what did it cost per bushel?
16. What is 2 of 11?
17. If 5 bushels of wheat cost $83, what is the price per bushel?
18. What is of 83?
Solution. 8 equals 35, and of 35 is 7, or 13. Or, 5 in 82, once and 33 over; 33 equals 15, and of is 2, which, added to the 1, gives 13.
19. A man bought 6 pounds of cheese for 62 cents, what did he pay per pound?
20. What is of 62
of 74% ?
21. If 7 barrels of flour cost 603 dollars, what is the price per barrel ? What is the cost of 2 barrels ?
22. What is 4 of 603? % of 603 ?/
23. A man bought a cow for $333, and afterward sold her for of her cost; how many dollars did he gain? What did he receive for her?
24. What is of 331? 1⁄2 of 33} ?
25. A man bought a horse for $653; but, not proving so good as he anticipated, he sold it for of its cost; how much did he lose? For how many dollars did he sell it?
26. What is
of 65%? 7 of 65% ?
27. If 1 man can do a piece of work in 273 days, how long would it take 4 men to do the same?
28. What is of 27?of
29. If a horse can travel 273 miles in 4 hours, how far, at the same rate, can he travel in 9 hours? 30. What is of 273? 2 of 27%?
31. If 7 yards of cloth cost $313, what will 5 yards cost?
32. What is of 31? of 311⁄2?
33. If 4 pipes will empty a cistern containing 383 gallons in a given time, how many gallons will be drawn from the cistern by 3 pipes of the same size in the same time?
34. What is of 38? 35. If 3 horses eat 22 bushels of oats in 8 weeks, what will 7 horses eat in the same time? 36. What is of 22? 3 of 18?
37. In a freshet, a tree stood so that 35 feet, which were of its entire length, were under water; how many feet were above water? What was the whole length of the tree?
38. What is of 353? 3 of 35?
39. A man distributed 23 bushels of wheat equally among 7 poor families; how many bushels, at the same rite, would have been required for 9 families? 40. What is of 234? 7 of 134 ?
41. If 8 soldiers are allowed 133 pounds of meat in 1 day, what will soldiers be allowed in 5 days?
42. What is 5 times of 13}? 43. What is 4 times of 191?
1. A BOY having 2 melons, ate of a melon each day as long as they lasted; how many days did they last? How many days would they have lasted had he enten of a melon each day?
2. How many times is contained in 2; that is how many times is contained in §?