« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
10. A merchant bought tea in England for $2097.76, and paid $81.61 for freight, and $47.35 duty. In con. sequence of damage, he sold the whole for $1871.44. How much did he lose by the sale ?
11. A merchant purchased Russia duck for $944.79, and paid $107.47 duty, and $0.75 drayage. He sold it for $1206.93; how much did he gain?
12. If I buy goods to the amount of $1176.06; pay $33.74 for storage, $54.16 for commission, and $49.11 for interest upon the money, and sell the whole for $1293.97, do I gain or lose ?—and how much?
13. An iron-monger paid $159.86 for 63.5 tons of iron. For how much must he sell the whole, to gain $38.75? How much per ton ?
14. A store-keeper saved $291.31 the first year; $345.67, the second ; and $512.50, the third. With these savings he purchased bank-stock, at $97.50 per share. How many shares did he buy?
15. A farmer has 6.493 tons of old hay in his barns. He cuts 4.76 tons of new hay from one of his meadows, and 13.044 tons from another. How much will he receive for the whole, if he sells it at $13.75 per ton ?
16. If 5.95 bushels of wheat make a barrel of flour, and 15 barrels make a load, how many bushels will be required to make 27.2 loads ?
17. The distance from the earth to the sun, is ninety-five million miles. In how many seconds would a cannon-ball go to the sun, moving 2000 feet in a second? In how many minutes, there being 60 seconds in a minute? In how many hours ? In how many days?
18. The salary of a clerk was $1395,00 a year, and the expenses of his family were $2,75 a day. How much did he save in a year?
19. A prize was divided among four men. The first received $125.00; the second, three times as much as the first ; the third, as much as the first and second ; and the fourth, twice as much as the third. How much did each receive, and what was the whole prize?
20. A grocer bought 16 bags of coffee, at $14.41 per bag. For how much must he sell the whole, in order to gain $13.77 ?
21. A gentleman distributed some chestnuts among 16 boys, and 14 girls. To each boy he gave 25, and to each girl, 30. How many did he distribute ?
22. A merchant bought 43 casks of molasses. each cask containing 71.25 gallons. Upon selling it, he found that 4.37 gallons had leaked from each cask. How many gallons were left in the whole ?
23. A man started upon a journey, travelling at the rate of 6.8 miles an hour. After he had been gone 4.75 hours, an express started in pursuit, going 9.2 miles an hour. How many miles does the express gain in an hour? In how many hours will he be overtaken?
24. A man owed $242.75. He offered in payment 14 tons of hay at $10.50 a ton ; 45 bushels of oats at $0.30 a bushel; and the rest in money. How much money did he pay ?
25. Four men entering into a partnership, contributed $7988.375. A. contributed $956.71 ; B. contributed $1872.50; C. contributed $2440.125. How much did D. contribute ?
26. A grocer who had 421 kegs of butter, sold 56 kegs at $12.50 per keg; 91 kegs at $11.79 per keg ; 100 kegs at $11.85 per keg; and the remainder at $11.50 per keg. How much did he receive for the whole?
27. How many barrels of cider, at $2.79 per barrel, can be bought with 63 barrels of apples, at $2.17
per barrel ?
28. A bankrupt could pay only $0.4375, on every dollar of his debts. How much could he pay on a debt of $169.00 ?
29. If 6 horses eat 3.61 tons of hay in a month, how long will 10.32 tons last them? How long will 10.32 tons last 1 horse ? 7 horses?
30. If 44.9601 is the subtrahend, and 709.5 is the minuend, what is the remainder ?
31. If 751.62 is the subtrahend, and the remainder is 49.076, what is the minuend?
32. If the minuend is 55087, and the remainder is 331.49, what is the subtrahend ?
33. If the multiplicand is 1804 and the multiplier is 1804, what is the product ?
34. If the product is 10674320000, and the multiplier is 107000, what is the multiplicand ?
35. If the divisor is 76000, and the dividend is 4.09, what is the quotient?
36. If the dividend is 84396, the quotient is 125, and the remainder is 21, what is the divisor?
37. Multiply 46943.001 by 999999.
TABLES OF COMPOUND NUMBERS.
FEDERAL MONEY, or the Currency of the United States. 10 mills (m.)
make 1 cent,
ct. 10 cents.
make 1 dime. 10 dimes
make 1 dollar. 10 dollars.
make 1 eagle.
ENGLISH MONEY, or the Currency of England. 4 farthings (qr.) ...... make 1 penny,
make 1 shilling, 20 shillings
make 1 pound,
Troy WEIGHT, to weigh Gold, Silver, Jewels, and Liquids. 24 grains (gr.). . make 1 pennyweight, dwt. 20 pennyweights.
make 1 ounce, 12 ounces
make 1 pound,
APOTHECARIES' WEIGHT, used for Compounding Medicines. 20 grains (gr.)
make 1 scruple, 3 scruples
make 1 dram,
3 8 drams.
make 1 ounce,
3 12 ounces
make 1 pound, The Apothecaries' pound is the same as the Troy pound. Drugs are bought and sold by Avoirdupois weight.
AVOIRDUPOIS WEIGHT, to weigh all ordinary Commodities. 10 grains, (gr.) make 1 scruple,
SC. 3 scruples
make 1 dram, 16 drams.
make 1 ounce, 16 ounces make 1 pound,
lb. 28 pounds make 1 quarter,
qr. 4 quarters make 1 hundred-weight,cwt.
T. 20 hundred-weight .... make 1 ton,
The pound Avoirdupois equals 7000 grains Troy.
DRY MEASURE, to measure all Solids that are not sold by weight. 2 pints (pt.).
make l quart,
qt. 8 quarts .
make 1 ck, pk. 4 pecks
make 1 bushel, bu. 36 bushels of coal make 1 chaldron,
WINE MEASURE, to measure most Liquids. 4 gills (gi.)
make 1 pint, 2 pints .
make 1 quart, 4 quarts
make 1 gallon,
APOTHECARIES' MEASURE, used for Compounding Medicines. 60 minims (m). make 1 fluidrachm, f3 8 fluidrachms.
make 1 fluidounce, f3 16 fluidounces.
make 1 pint,
0. 8 pints ..
make 1 gallon,
Cong. A drop of water is about equal to 1š minims, or 3 drops to 4 minims, and 45 drops to a fluidrachm.
A pint of water weighs a pound Avoirdupois, very nearly.