« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
EXAMPLES 1. Divide 8749632 by 37000.
17 2. Divide 986327 by 210000. Ans. 4116327. 3. Divide 876000 by 6000.
Ans. 4. Divide 36599503 by 400700. Ans. 91135803 5. Divide 571436490075 by 36500. Rem. 9u75. 6. Divide 194718490700 by 73000. Rem. 42700. 7. Divide 1495070807149 by 31500. Rem. 9649. 8. Divide 7149374947194715 by 1749000.
APPLICATIONS IN DIVISION.
1. Divide 80 dollars equally among four men.
Here the 80 dollars is to be divided into 4 equal parts, and the quotient 20
4)80 dollars expresses the value of one of
20 dollars. the equal parts.
2. Four persons buy a lottery ticket; it draws a prize of 10000 dollars : what is each one's share ? Ans.
3. A person dying leaves an estate of 4500 dollars to be divided equally among 5 children: what is each one's share ?
Ans. 900 dollars. 4. There are 1560 eggs to be packed in 24 baskets : how many eggs will be put in each basket ? Ans.
5. What number must be multiplied by 124 to produce 40796 ?
Ans. 329. 6. How many times can 24 be subtracted from 1416 ?
Ans. 7. The sum of 19125 dollars is to be distributed among a certain number of men, each is to receive 425 dollars : how many men are to receive the money ? Ans.
per minute ?
8. By the census of 1840 the whole population of the 26 States was 16,890,320 : if each one had contained an equal number of inhabitants, how many would there have been in each State ?
Ans. 649,62726 9. If a man walks 12775 miles in a year, or 365 days, how far does he walk each day?
Ans. miles. 10. A farmer sells a drove of sheep for 2 dollars a head, and receives 1250 dollars : how many sheep did he sell ?
Ans. 625. 11. It is computed that the distance to the sun is 95,000,000 of miles, and that light is 8 minutes travelling from the sun to the earth : how many miles does it travel
Ans. 12. By the census of 1840 it appeared that the city of New York contained 312710 inhabitants ; allowing 5 to each house, how many houses were there in that city at that time ?
Ans. 62,542 13. A merchant has 5100 pounds of tea, and wishes to pack it in 60 chests : how many pounds must he put in each chest ?
Ans. 14. A person goes to a store and buys a piece of cloth containing 36 yards, for which he pays 288 dollars : how much does he pay per yard ?
Ans. 15. There are 7 days in a week: how many weeks in
Ans. 52 weeks and 1 day over. 16. There are 24 hours in a day : how many days in 2040 hours ?
Ans. 17. Twenty-three persons dined together, their bill was 92 dollars : how much had each one to pay ?
Ans. 4 dollars. 18. In one pound there are 16 ounces : how many pounds are there in 223360 ounces? Ans. 13960
19. If there are 160 square rods in an acre, how many acres are there in 2172480 square rods ?
20. If you pay 94 cents a yard for cloth, how many yards can you buy for 6716394 cents ?
21. If you pay 145 dollars for a pipe of wine, hov many pipes can you buy for 10875 dollars ?
Ans. 75 22. If a man travels 47 miles a day, how many day would it take him to travel 1222 miles ?
a year of 365 ?
23. If a garrison of 987 men are supplied with 351372 pounds of beef, how much will that be for each man?
Ans, 356 Tbs. 24. How many times does 3942 go in 21587211936 ?
23. If a ship sails 142 miles a day, how many days will it take her to sail 48564 miles ? 26. Divide 887124 dollars equally among 236 men.
Ans. 3759 dollars. 27. Divide 1491 dollars among 7 men. 28. Divide 74400 dollars among 620 men.
Ans. 120 dollars. 29. Suppose 60 men catch 295200 fish : how many would each have caught ?
30. If 17028 dollars is to be divided among a ship’s crew, and each man to receive 44 dollars : how many men compose the crew ?
Ans. 387. 31. Suppose 68959488 to be a dividend, and 718328 the quotient: what is the divisor ?
32. Suppose 34310 pounds of pork to be equally divided among a body of soldiers, each receiving 47 pounds : what is the number of soldiers ? Ans. 730.
33. What is the divisor of 761858465, if 90001 be the quotient ?
34. If the dividend is 761858465, and divisor 8465, what will be the quotient ?
Ans. 90001. 35. There are 1893312 inhabitants in 912 villages; if each village contains the same number, what is the population of each ?
36. If 61 rods of railroad cost 28609 dollars, how much will one rod cost ?..
Ans. 469 dollars. 37. If 472 rods of the same railroad cost 251104 dol. lars, how much was it a rod ?. Ans. 532 dollars.
38. If 26537009535 dollars be equally divided among 27856 men, how many dollars will each have ?
APPLICATIONS IN THE PRECEDING RULES. 1. A farmer sells a yoke of oxen for 90 dollars, 3 cows for 25 dollars each, 9 calves for 4 dollars each, and 65 sheep at 3 dollars a head. How much did he receive for them all ?
2. The sum of two numbers is 365, one of the num. bers is 221; what is the other number? Ans. 144.
3. The difference of two numbers is 95, the less number 327; what is the greater number? Ans.
4. A farmer sells 4 tons of hay at 12 dollars per ton, 80 bushels of wheat at 1 dollar per bushel, and takes in part payment a horse worth 65 dollars, a wagon worth 40 dollars, and the rest in cash. How much money did he receive ?
Ans. 23 dollars. 5. A farmer has 14 calves worth 4 dollars each, 40 sheep worth 3 dollars each; he gives them all for a horse worth 150 dollars: does he make or lose by the bargain?
Ans. He loses dollars. 6. The product of two numbers is 51679680, and one of the factors is 615: what is the other factor ?
Ans. 84032. 7. When the divisor is 67941, and the quotient 30620, what is the dividend ?
Ans. 2080353420. 8. When the dividend is 1213193, the quotient 37, what is the divisor?
Ans. 9. A piece of cloth containing 65 yards costs 455 dol. lars: what does it cost per yard ? Ans. dollars.
10. A man has 6 children, all of whom are married, and each has four children; two of these grandchildren are married, and each has one child : how many chil. dren, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren are there?
Ans. 11. The distance around the earth is computed to be about 25000 miles: how long would it take a man to travel it, supposing him to travel at the rate of 35 miles a day?
Ans. 71449 days. 12. The earth moves around the sun at the rate of 68000 miles an hour : how many miles does it travel in a day, and how many in a year?
1632000 in a day. Ans.
595680000 in a year. 13. A farmer purchased a farm for which he paid 18050 dollars. He sold 50 acres for 60 dollars an acre, and the remainder stood him in 50 dollars an acre : how much land did he archase ?
Ans. 351 acres.
14. What number múltiplied by 3456, will produce 3411072 ?
Ans. 987. 15. If 1974 men are supplied with 175686 pounds of pork, how much will each man have ?
16. In 1830, the national debt of the United States was 48565406 dollars; in 1836, the debt was cancelled : had the payments been equal, how much would have been paid in each year ?
Ans. 8094234dollars. 17. What would 1800 miles of railroad cost at 14000 dollars a mile?
18. The diameter of the earth is 7912 miles, and the diameter of the sun 112 tiines greater: what is the diameter of the sun, and how much greater is it than the diameter of the earth ?
886144 in diameter ; and 878232 miles Ans.
greater than the diameter of the earth. 19. The volcano in the Island of Bourbon, in 1796, threw out 45000000 cubic feet of lava : how long would it take 25 carts to carry it off, if each cart carried 12 loads a day, and 40 cubic feet' at each load ?
20. In 1787 it threw out 60000000 cubic feet : how long would it take for 25 carts to remove it?
Ans. 5000 days. 21. The income of the Bishop of Durham, in England, is 292 dollars a day: how many clergymen would this support on a salary of 730 dollars per annum ?
22. There are 31173 verses in the Bible : how many verses must be read each day, that it may be read through in a year?
Ans. 85+. 23. A man's income is 2698 dollars a year, and his expenses 6 dollars a day: how much will he lay up ?
24. The population of Europe in 1837 was estimated at 233884800, and the number of square miles at 3703871. How many inhabitants would this give to each square mile ?
Ans. 63. Rem. 225927. 25. In 1843, there were 3173 public schools in Massachusetts, which were attended during the winter by 119989 scholars. How many would this allow in each school ?
Ans. 37. Rem. 2588.