« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
the greatest even number of shillings for the first decimal figure.
2. Place the farthings in the given pence and farthings, in the second and third places ; observing to increase the second place by 5, if the shillings be odd, and the third place by 10, if the farthings exceed 12,* and by 20 for the excess of-36.
When more than three places are necessary, divide half the number of farthings in the given pence and farthings, (rejecting 24 farthings) by 12, and the quotient placed after the three places before found, will give the decimal.
If there are pounds in the question, bring them down, placing them on the left hand of the decimal found, divide by 3, which will ppoduce the answer in cents and mills.
EXAMPLES 1. Reduce 135. 9 d. to dollars, cents, and mills.
,6 half the greatest even number of shil.
for the odd shillings.
3)6910 Ans. $.2,30,31 2. Reduce 4.2 136. 9 di to dollars, cents, and mills.
* If the farthings do not exceed 12, annex a cypher on the right and of the decimal.
II. To reduce New-Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delamare, and Maryland currency, to the Federal Money.
RULE. 1. . If the sum be pounds, multiply them by 8, di-vide by 3, and the quotient will be dollars.
2. If there be shillings, reckon one dollar for eve. ry 78. 6d. and if any pence remain, increase them by one ninth of themselves, and the result wi'l be cents.
EXAMPLES 1. Reduce 4.72 New Jersey, &c. to Federal Money...
3)576(192 dollars, Answer.
2. Reduce 69 11 3, to Federal Money. 9
1 dollar or 78. 6d. taken from 8 118. 3d, the remainder is 3s. 9d.
or 45 pence:
III. To reduce New York and North-Carolina, currency, to the Federal: Money. .
RULE. 1. If the sum be pounds, annex a cypher to them, divide by 4, and the quotient will be dollars.
2. If the sum be pounds and shillings, annex half the shillings to the pounds, and divide
as before. 3. If there be pence, increase them by one twenty-fourth of themselves, and the sum will be cents.
EXAMPLES. 1. Reduce 5.100, New-York, to Federal Money.
4)1000(250 dollars, Answer. 2. Reduce £.48 16 to Federal Money.
4)488(122 dollars, Answer. Reduce 3 shillings to Federal Money.
then, 24) 36 12
11 37 cts. Ans.
IV. To reduce South-Carolina and Georgia currency to the Federal Money.
RULE, 1. If the sum be pounds, multiply them by 30, divide by 7, and the quotient will be dollars.
2. If there be shillings, reckon 4s. Ed. for a dollar; and if any thing remain, reduce it to pence, multiply them by 8, and the quotient again by 7, then the last quotient will be decimal parts of a dollar, or dimes, cents, and mills.
EXAMPLES. 1. Reduce 6.100, South-Carolina, to Federal Money.
D. d. c.
7)3000(428 5 7 1 2. Reduce 15s. 2d. to Federal Money.
Three dollars are 14 shillings, which being subtracted from 153. 2d. the remainder is 1s. 2d. or 14 pence; then, 8)1+
and 3, 7)1,75
0, 2 5
V. To reduce English to Federal Money.
RULE, 1. Multiply the sum in pounds by 40, divide by 9, and the quotient will be dollars:
2. If there be shillings, annex half of them to the pounds, multiply by 4, and divide by 9.
9) 1440(160 dollars, Answer, 2. Reduce 6.20 12 to Federal Money.
9) 824(91,555 Answer. VI. To reduce Irish to Federal Money.
RULE. Increase the pounds by one thirty-eighth of themselves, multiply the sum by 4, and the product will be dollars.
468 dollars, Answers VII. To reduce Canada and Nova-Scotia currency, to the Federal Money.
RULE, 1. Multiply the pounds by 4, and the product wib be dollars.
2. If there be shillings and pence, divide the shillirgs by 5, and the pence by 60, and the quotient will be dollars.
EXAMPLES. 1. Reduce £100, Canada, to Federal Money.
400 dollars, Answer. 2. Reduce 155. 6d. to Federal Money.
D. d. 5)15(3 dolls. and 60)6,(id. then, 3,
3, 1 Ans. III. To reduce Livres Tournois to Federal
RULE. the Livres by 4, divide the product by 21, suoriunt will be dollars.
EXAMPLE. cance 030 Livres, to Federal Money.
21)2520(120 dollars, Answers
Rules for reducing the Federal Money to the Curren
cies of the several United States ; also, to English, Irish, Canada, Nova Scotia, and French Money.
1. To reduce the Federal Money to New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Virginia currency.