« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
1. How is the name “ Jesus” first introduced by S. Matthew ? What is the meaning of the names Jesus, Emmanuel, Christ?
2. Give an account of S. John the Baptist in the wilderness, and a short summary of his preaching.
3. What rules does our LORD lay down in the Sermon on the Mount, respecting almsgiving and prayer ?
4. Where were Bethlehem, Nazareth, Capernaum ? and how were they connected with our LORD ?
5. Narrate the Parable of the Ten Virgins, and point out the lesson to be drawn from it.
6. What does S. Matthew say about himself ? Give his list of the twelve Apostles.
7. Explain the following terms as they occur in the Gospel of S. Matthew: (i.) kingdom of heaven, (ii.) offence, (iii.) the children's bread, (iv.) tradition, (v.) testament.
8. How were the following prophecies fulfilled ?(i.) “He shall be called a Nazarene;" (ii.) “Out of Egypt have I called My Son;" (iii.) "In Rama was there a voice heard ; " (iv.) “They took the thirty pieces of silver.” Give the names of the Prophets who spoke them.
1. How many declensions are there in Latin, and how are they distinguished from each other?
2. Write down the genitive plural of the following nouns :- Canis, hiems, vir, ver, frux, grando, heres, jus, miles, pecus, cervix, jecur, opis.
3. Decline through singular and plural the nouns mare, mos, flos, arcus, domus.
4. Give the superlatives answering to pejor, exIterior, senior, deterior, plus.
5. Write down (i.) perfect active first person singular, (ii.) the supine of, capio, neo, sono, scindo malo, desum, intereo, vinco, vincio, volo, figo.
6. What is the Latin for eleven, eighteen, seventy, three hundred, fiftieth, the first of August, the fifth of November ?
7. Decline throughout ego, idem, tres.
8. Name the prepositions which govern both the accusative and ablative, and state when they govern the one case and when the other.
ENGLISH GRAMMAR. A.
1. Write down the plurals of focus, mouse, shelf, donkey, cow, loaf, lady, dwarf, valley.
2. Define a case. Why is it so called ? What is the meaning of the apostrophe which marks the genitive case ? Discuss “ For JESUS CHRIST His sake."
3. How are degrees of comparison formed in English ? State exceptions. Of what forms are next, last, worst, contractions ?
4. Write down past tense and past participle of smite, drive, wind, spin, spring, heave, wear, weave.
5. What is meant by
“ mood”? How many moods are there in English ? Write short sentences illustrating the use of each mood.
6. Name, classify, and distinguish the uses of relative pronouns in English. What are the common relatives?
7. What is a sentence ? How is it divided ? What is meant by the analysis of sentences ? Analyse the following sentence :“ Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it.”
FRENCH GRAMMAR. A.
1. How many parts of speech are there in French, and which of them are invariable ?
2. Give the singular of ceux, maux, paix, yeux, auxquels, bestiaux.
3. Give the different meanings of la dernière année, l'année dernière; un brave homme, un homme brave; un grand homme, un homme grand.
4. Give the feminine of the following :-coi, menteur, bénin, Chrétien, amer, sec.
5. Give third person plural preterite indicative of attendre, attendrir, atteindre, éteindre, attenter.
6. Put down the first person singular of the present subjunctive of croire, croître, écrire, vaincre, vivre, repaitre, naitre, moudre, vouloir, prévaloir, asseoir, mouvoir.
7. Write out the present and imperfect indicative of oublier and hair; the future indicative of faire and s'asseoir; the past and present participle of avancer, mourir, and absoudre.
8. Give the French of :-I am to have, I was to have, I ought to have, I ought to have had, I have just been, I had just been.
ENGLISH HISTORY, A.
ROMAN AND SAXON PERIODS.
1. Give a short account with dates of Cæsar's invasion of Britain.
2. What is the meaning of the word Heptarchy ? Give the names of the several states of which the Heptarchy consisted. Who formed them into one kingdom, and at what date ?
3. What was the Witanagemot? Say all you know concerning it. Explain the words serf, bocland, and frankpledge.
4. Assign dates to the following events :-the departure of the Romans from Britain, the accession of Egbert, the death of Alfred, the massacre of the Danes, the accession of Canute.
5. Give the names of the different nations which invaded England before the year 1100. Which of them did Boadicea and Harold II. oppose ?
6. Write a life of Alfred the Great.
7. What portions of Great Britain have at any time been represented by the names Northumbria, Mercia, Wessex, and Strathclyde ?