« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
81. At the rate of 5 oranges for 12 cents, what will 6 oranges cost ?
82. If 6 men earn $164 in one day, how much will 5 men earn in the same time?
83. What will 3 pounds of tea cost at the rate of 7 pounds for $24 ?
84. How much did Jennie pay for 10 apples at the rate of 4 of an apple for a cent?
85. If á of a yard of cloth is worth 25 dimes, what is 5 yards worth ?
86. Two thirds of the cost of a watch-chain was $18, which was } of the cost of a watch : what was the cost of the watch ?
87. If a boy can earn $33 in 6 days, how much can he earn in 14 days?
88. If 3 books cost $14, how much will 5 books cost ?
89. A man walked 30 miles in 6 hours : at that rate how far can he walk in 3} hours ?
90. Mary having 40 pins lost i of them, and then found as many remained : how many had she then ?
91. A boy having 24 cents, spent į of them, and his father gave him as many as remained : how many had he then ?
92. John's age diminished by its and } is 5 years : what is his age ?
93. Mary's age increased by its } and } is 11 years : what is her age ?
94. Thomas's age diminished by the difference between its and is 14 years : how old is he?
95. William's coat cost $20, and f of this is 3 times the cost of his trousers, and his vest cost $ as much as his trousers : required the cost of his trousers and vest.
ART. 161.-A Complex Fraction is one whose numerator, or denominator, or both, are fractional (Art. 129).
21 5 Thus,
ORAL EXERCISES. ART. 162.-1. John had of a pie and gave Thomas of it: how much did Thomas receive ?
2. Charles had of a dollar and gave Joseph $ of it: how much did Joseph receive ?
3. Ralph found of a dollar and lost f of it: how much did he lose ?
4. Anthony divided of a loaf of bread equally among 5 beggars : how much did each receive ?
5. Susan divided of a dozen candies equally among 4 girls : how much did each receive ? .
6. If 3 pounds of sugar cost 18 cents, what will of a pound cost ?
7. Four times 4 years is f of Mr. Bamford's age : how old is he?
8. Six times $5] is } of Warner's money : how much money has Warner ?
9. If 1 yard of ribbon cost of a dollar, how many yards can be bought for $8 ?
10. If Thomas walks of a mile in an hour, how long will it take him to walk 8 miles ?
11. Mr. A. bought 23 bushels of potatoes at the rate of 2 bushels for $6 : what did they cost ?
12. A dairyman exchanged 25 quarts of milk worth 6 cents a quart for cheese at 124 cents a pound : how many pounds did he obtain ?
13. If 1 quart of maple syrup costs of a dollar, how many quarts can be bought for $12 ?
14. If it takes 4 men 7 days to build a wall, how long will it take 10 men ?
15. Jenkins bought 8 tons of coal at $43 a ton, and
paid for it with wood worth $4 a cord : how many cords did it take ?
16. Peter distributed 84 pears among a certain number of boys, giving to each 14 pears : how many boys were there?
17. Eighteen is s of how many times 9 ? 18. Twenty is šof how many times 12 ? 19. Forty-five is of how many times 20 ? 20. Three-fourths of 48 is how many times 4 of 36 ?
21. Anderson is 35 years old and of his age is of the age of Henry : how old is Henry ?
22. A coat cost $20 and of the cost of the coat was 3 times the cost of the vest : how much did the vest cost ?
23. If 4 of a peach costs of a cent, what is # of a peach worth?
ART. 163.-1. What number multiplied by B will produce 198 ?
2. If Walter earns 7 dollars in one week and spends $41, how much will he save in 6 weeks ?
3. If Frank walks miles in 3 hours, how far will he walk in 5 hours ?
4. How many yards of cloth at f of a dollar a yard can be bought for $71 ?
5. Seba spent of $204 for apples at of a dollar a bushel : how many bushels did he buy?
6. Three-fifths of $75 is } of of Robert's money : how much money has Robert ?
7. If of a yard of velvet cost $44, how many yards can be bought for $213 ?
8. What number divided by 18} gives 145 ?
9. If 1 man eats 14 pounds of meat a day, how long will 57 pounds last 7 men ?
10. At f of a dollar for a score of eggs, how many score can be bought for } of $3} ?
11. A farmer exchanged 171 cords of wood at $2} a cord for coal at $43 a ton : how many tons did he buy ?
12. Randolph rode 110 miles on his bicycle in 3} days : how many miles did he average a day?
13. Thirty-seven-and-one-half dollars will buy how many pounds of tea at 1 of šof a dollar a pound ?
14. To how many boys can Joseph give $33, if $18 is of his money ?
15. Sophie had 4 of 40 cents; she spent of it for oranges at of 6 cents apiece : how many did she buy?
16. What will 27 yards of cloth cost, if 63 yards cost $334 ?
17. When land is $743 an acre, how many acres can be bought for $7463 ?
18. The difference between and į of the value of an estate is $1,691 : what is the value of the estate ?
19. The difference between two sums is $3}; the less is $54 : what is the greater ?
20. If 134 tons of coal cost $644, how many tons will $19} buy ?
21. Thaddeus owning of 1,200 acres of land, sold f of his share : how many acres did he retain ?
22. If 9 men build a wall in } of of 164 days, how long will it take 8 men to build the wall ?
23. A man owning 4 of a store, sold # of his share for $1,200 : what was the store worth?
24. Mr. H owning of a ship, sold 4 of his share. If what he still owned was worth $3,300, what was the value of the ship ?