« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »
348. The standard unit of capacity used in measuring grain, fruits, vegetables, lime, coal, etc., is a bushel. A bushel equals 2150.4 cubic inches.
Note.-In measuring large fruits, vegetables, lime, and coal, the unit is the “heaped bushel." A heaped bushel equals about 14 “stricken bushels.”
2 pints (pt.) = 1 quart (qt.).
1 peck (pk.).
= 1 bushel (bu.). A bushel is nearly 11 cubic feet.
A “heaped bushel” is about 1} cubic feet. A "dry gallon” (4 quarts dry measure) equals 268.8 cubic inches.
Enough “ear corn” to make, when shelled, one bushel, occupies about 24 cubic feet. If the corn is inferior in quality it will occupy niore space than this—sometimes 2cubic feet.
1. Find the capacity in bushels of a wheat bin 8 ft. by 8 ft. by 10 ft. *
2. Give the dimensions of the smallest bin in which 1000 bushels of oats may be stored.
3. In a bin 12 feet square, there is rye to the depth of 77 feet. How many bushels ?
4. How many bushels of potatoes (without heaping the bin) may be stored in a bin that is 8 ft. by 4 ft. by 6 ft.?
5. If the corn is of excellent quality, how many bushels of “ shelled corn may be expected from a crib of ear corn, 8 ft. by 10 ft. by 80 ft. ?
* for many practical purposes the approximate ratio (11) of the bushel to the cubic foot will give in such problems as these, results sufficiently accurate.
349. The standard unit of weight in common use is a pound Avoirdupois.
16 ounces (oz.) 1 pound (lb.).
2000 pounds 1 ton (T.).
1 gallon of water
Find the cost
(a) Find the sum of the four results.
* This means the amount of ear corn required to make ! bushel of shelled
1. Of 2560 lb. hay at $7.50 per ton.
(a) Find the sum of the five results.
Find the cost
6. Of 2140 lb. oats at 24¢ a bushel.
(b) Find the sum of the five results.
Find the cost
11. Of 520 ib. clover seed at $6.30 a bushel.
(c) Find the sum of the five results.
Find the approximate weight
16. Of a barrel of kerosene.
17. Of 1 quart of milk. 18. Of the oats that will fill a bin that is 4 ft. by 4 ft by 9 ft.
19. Of the water that will fill a tank that is 2 ft. by 2 it. by 12 ft.
20. Of a five-gallon can of kerosene.
350. Troy weight is used in weighing gold, silver, and jewels.
351. Apothecaries' weight is used in mixing medicines and in selling them at retail.
1 dram (3).
1 ounce (3). 12 ounces 1 pound (tb).
Note 1.-— The pound Troy and the pound Apothecary are equal, each weighing 5760 grains. The pound Avoirdupois weighs 7000 Troy or Apothecary grains.
NOTE 2.—The ounce Troy and the ounce Apothecary are each 480 grains; the ounce Avoirdupois is 437į grains.
QUERY.—Which is heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of gold? An ounce of feathers or an ounce of gold ?
1. Change 5 lb. Avoirdupois weight to pounds, ounces, etc., Apothecaries' weight.
2. How many 5 gr. powders can be made from one Avoirdupois ounce of quinine?
3. One Avoirdupois ton of gold is how many Troy pounds? 4. Twenty-four Troy pounds equal how many Avoirdupois
352. MISCELLANEOUS TABLES.
20 units = 1 score,
353. APOTHECARIES' FLUID MEASURE.
60 minims (m) 1 Auid dram (f 3).
8 fluid drams 1 fluid ounce (f 3). 16 fluid ouuces 1 pint (O).
8 pints = 1 gallon (Cong.). One minim of water is about 1 drop.
“So teach us to number our days that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom."