Εικόνες σελίδας
Ηλεκτρ. έκδοση

of its interests. No one excelled him in the number or variety of litigated cases requiring constant attention in the courts. No more familiar presence at the Bar or before the Bench than his can be instanced.

He was

BENJAMIN A. WILLIS. MR. WILLIS was born of Quaker parentage in Rosyln, L. I., March 24, 1810. He was graduated by Union College in 1861, and studied law at Poughkeepsie and with William M. Ingraham in Brooklyn. In 1862 he raised a company at Rosslyn and entered the army. He served in the One Hundred and Nineteenth New York, and subsequently as colonel in the Twelfth New York Regiment, and continued in the service until the close of the war, participating in the battles of Chancellorsville and of Gettysburg. Subsequently he resumed the practice of his profession, and at the time of his death he had an office in Wall Street.

He was elected to the Forty-fourth Congress in 1874 as a Liberal Republican, indorsed by the Democrats. re-elected two years later over Levi P. Morton. For some years Mr. Willis was a warm friend of Samuel J. Tilden. He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and of the Union and Manhattan Clubs.

He was married on June 3, 1873, to Lillie Evelyn Macauley, whose ancestors also belonged to the Society of Friends. Mr. Willis was a member of the Episcopal Church and a vestryman for several years of the church called “The Heavenly Rest,” situate on Fifth Avenue, New York. He was also for four years a Trustee in the Church of the Holy Trinity in the same city.

He was a strong temperance advocate, and himself a total abstinence man.

He died on October 13, 1886, six days after the birth of his twin children—a boy and a girl.

He left a wife and four children.



MICHAEL AUGUSTUS DAUGHERTY was born November 27, 1816, at Baltimore, Md. His parents emigrated from the North of Ireland about the year 1810. He was educated at the Baltimore Academy, where he graduated. At the age of nineteen years he came to Ohio, and shortly afterward commenced the study of medicine under Dr. Z. Kreider, of Lancaster, Fairfield County,

After pursuing the study of medicine until he was almost ready to enter upon its practice, his necessities became such that he was coinpelled to abandon it and teach school for some time, during which the further prosecution of the study of medicine became distasteful to him, and he entered upon the preparation for the profession which he has so eminently graced and honored.

He settled at Lancaster, read law with Hon. John Garaghty, and was admitted to practice by the Supreme Court of Ohio in 1838 on the circuit at Dayton. He at once en

the practice of his profession at Lancaster, and very soon took a high position at the Bar, at that time one of the most celebrated in the state.

A long and serious illness during the winter of 1849-50, and his slow recovery therefrom, made it imperative that he quit the arduous labors of the practice, which he did with the intention, however, of resuming it as soon as his health would permit.

By the advice of his physician and the influence of his esteemed friend, Mr. D. Tallmadge, the president of the bank, he became the cashier and manager of the Hocking Valley Branch State Bank of Ohio, in which position he remained for five years, managing it with marked success.

At the end of this period (1855) fully restored to his former strength and vigor of mind and body, he entered into

tered upon

a law partnership with the late Hocking H. Hunter, which continued until February, 1872, when it was dissolved by the death of Mr. Hunter.

In 1860 he was a delegate from Ohio to the Charleston Convention, where he steadfastly supported the candidacy of Stephen A. Douglas throughout that long and memorable contest which marked a crisis in the history of our country, and in 1872 he was again sent as a delegate to the National Democratic Convention which met at Baltimore.

In 1869 he was elected on the Democratic ticket to the State Senate, and re-elected in 1871, and did much important work as a member of the Judiciary Committee in shaping and directing legislation. In 1873 he was defeated by a small majority as candidate for Attorney-General.

The work with which Mr. Daugherty's name is most imperishably associated, and to which he gave his best energies and mature knowledge, was a revision and consolidation of the statutes of the state. Appointed by Governor Allen in April, 1875, upon the Commission of three members provided by law for the purpose, he devoted four years and a half of unremitting labor toward bringing into logical form and system the chaotic mass of statutory law which had theretofore crowded our statute books.

Upon the passage by the General Assembly of his state, several years since, of an act intended to elevate the standard of the legal profession, providing for the appointment by the Supreme Court of a committee composed of leading members of the Bar to examine applicants for admission to practice, that court committed the work to a committee of which Mr. Daugherty was made Chairman, and that committee, with Mr. Daugherty as its guiding spirit, established and successfully prosecuted the system of examinations which reflects credit upon the profession of which he was so distinguished a member. Upon retiring from that committee, at the close of 1883, he received the thanks of every member of the Supreme Court for his services in that respect.

He removed from Lancaster to Columbus in October, 1873. For some time before and after his removal, and until the day of his last illness, he, to a large extent, kept up the practice of his profession, chiefly, however, in select cases of importance, and in the higher courts, his example in which is before us to stimulate our efforts to render our profession worthy of its great object—the administration of justice between individuals and the propagation amongst men of the obligations of civilized society, regulated by law and order.

The latter years of his life have been given considerably as adviser of corporations. The last work of this character was in the organization of the Clinton National Bank, of Columbus, of which he died a director.

From an honored and liberty-loving ancestry, the heads of which had fought under Celtic chiefs and had lost their lands in the wars of Ireland, and had felt the full weight of the harsh penal code which long held the Catholic Irish down, he inherited an uncompromising hatred of oppression in

every form, and through all his life, public and private, he cherished a regard for the poor and the down-trodden, and whenever and wherever they needed a champion, he was ready in their defense, with the hope of no other reward than the consciousness of helping the weak. At the time of his death he was a member and President of the Irish Parliamentary Aid Association.

Mr. Daugherty was married on the twenty-fifth of May, 1813, to Phebe M., daughter of John Wood, Esq., of Maysville, Ky., who survives him. No child was born to them. He died on January 15, 1887, at his residence on East Broad Street, Columbus, Ohio.


WILLIAM D. WETHERILL. WILLIAM D. WETHERILL, of the Philadelphia Bar, died February 11, 1887. He was born in Lower Merion, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, December 16, 1845, and, after a careful preliminary education, he entered Princeton College, and was graduated in 1865. His legal 'preceptor was George W. Biddle, Esq., and he was admitted to the Bar of Philadelphia June 13, 1868.

He became a successful practitioner, and, with fine intelligence, acquired an extensive knowledge of the law, his character and ability securing the respect and confidence of all with whom he was associated, and giving the promise of professional distinction.


JOHN P. GREGORY. Joun P. GREGORY, of Lincoln, Rhode Island, died at his home in Central Falls, August 5, 1887, of Bright's disease, at the age of forty-seven years. Mr. Gregory was born in the old Dawley house, situated on the north side of the old Baptist Church, on High Street, in that village, then a part of the town of Smithfield, March 3, 1810. He received a common sehool education in the public schools, and then served his time at the brick masons' trade, but was obliged to give it up, as he was subject to hemorrhages from the head. His father died when Mr. Gregory was but a child, and his mother was obliged to work in the mill in order to support her family. It was by her aid that he was allowed to finish his education. He graduated from the State Normal School, and obtained a school to teach in the southern

« ΠροηγούμενηΣυνέχεια »